UKC

Shade for the neck?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MatthewV 19 Mar 2015
I'm off climbing in the South of France in June. I hear they have some funny hot ball of fire in the sky that makes your skin go red

Seriously, though, I'm thinking I should get something that will fit under my helmet and keep the sun off the back of my neck. Any suggestions?
 jon 19 Mar 2015
In reply to MatthewV:

Look no further than Da Brim: http://www.dabrim.com/
 Stevie989 19 Mar 2015
In reply to jon:
It looks so, practical. And stupid. How much Less stupid than flaky lobstered skin I'm not sure though...
Post edited at 18:55
 chris skipton 19 Mar 2015
In reply to MatthewV:

Royal Robbins do a lightweight cap with a detachable neck flap. Am on my second one.
The Epicentre in Ambleside can get them.
 AlanLittle 19 Mar 2015
In reply to MatthewV:

I tuck a bandana under my helmet, generally stays in place ok. Assuming you're wearing a helmet. If you're doing sinlge pitch sport climbing you'll probably want to stay in the shade anyway.
 tehmarks 20 Mar 2015
In reply to jon:

My God, he said he wanted a solution to sunburn, not to be banned from traveling to the USA for crimes against fashion!

(I have nothing to add other than suncream has done the trick every time for me - except that one trip where I forgot that lips can burn too. Unbelievably painful lesson learnt).
 Rapsling 20 Mar 2015
In reply to MatthewV:
Up to you, but I'd just pick up a snood at literally any outdoor shop. Pull part of the tube down over your scalp, have the rest draped over the back of your neck, and tuck it into a shirt if possible to keep it in place. Helps keep you cool and wicks the sweat off your head too. Helmet compatible.

You can pull the entire thing down over your head and round your neck, but I always find that far too hot.

I wear one of those French foreign legion style baseball caps with the cloth over the neck for hiking, but I reckon the peak might get in the way a bit when climbing.

Needless to say, if you don't look like an albino goth that's died and become a ghost, you're not wearing enough factor 50. Don't let something like that write off your holiday mate.
Post edited at 01:32
 marsbar 20 Mar 2015
In reply to MatthewV:

You could get a buff, or a lightweight scarf or bandana. Personally I get too hot so I just make sure I use lots of high factor suncream. I like this one http://www.pizbuin.com/uk/our-products/1-day-long/ or this https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Nivea-Sun-Protect-and-Refresh-Aerosol... both work on me and I'm pale.
 Anoetic 20 Mar 2015
In reply to MatthewV:

Get a Rab boreas top, fantastic piece of kit. The hood works well under a helmet and is good for climbing or alpine stuff
 Climber_Bill 20 Mar 2015
In reply to MatthewV:

If you are climbing in the South of France in June you need to be in the shade. Don't know where you are going, but most places will be roasting in the sun. Forget about the sunburn for a moment, climbing in the sun will not be particularly enjoyable. There are plenty of shady crags to climb at.

We will be in the Gorges du Loup area for 2 weeks over Easter and it will already be uncomfortable in the sun.
 GrahamD 20 Mar 2015
In reply to MatthewV:

I just use a triangular scarf. Wear it scout neckerchief style, rolled up with just a small triangle left at the back.
 jon 20 Mar 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

> I just use a triangular scarf. Wear it scout neckerchief style, rolled up with just a small triangle left at the back.

... with a woggle?
 GrahamD 20 Mar 2015
In reply to jon:

no woggle - just a reefknot I was trying to think of a way of describing how its rolled up.
 jon 20 Mar 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

> no woggle - just a reefknot I was trying to think of a way of describing how its rolled up.

A REEF knot. Is that safe? Did it have stoppers? 'You're courting disaster, bonnie lad...'
 John Ww 20 Mar 2015
In reply to MatthewV:

We were climbing on a south-facing crag up near the col du Lauteret in the Ecrins yesterday, and it was already almost too hot - the locals were in shorts and no shirts mode. Re. the neck issue, a scouts' neckerchief is a simple (and multifunctional) solution.

JW
 Andy Hardy 20 Mar 2015
In reply to MatthewV:

June - that leaves plenty of time to grow a mullet (that's the cheesy '80s hairstyle, not the fish. If you're not sure what that looks like and have a strong stomach, google for images of Chris Waddle)

Hat Dude 20 Mar 2015
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> June - that leaves plenty of time to grow a mullet (that's the cheesy '80s hairstyle, not the fish. If you're not sure what that looks like and have a strong stomach, google for images of Chris Waddle)

I'll see your Chris Waddle and raise you a Billy Ray Cyrus
 More-On 20 Mar 2015
In reply to Hat Dude:

> I'll see your Chris Waddle and raise you a Billy Ray Cyrus

Or indeed Billy the Fish...
 Fraser 20 Mar 2015
In reply to MatthewV:

How about a buff worn in Foreign Legionaire mode?
 jon 20 Mar 2015
In reply to tehmarks:

> My God, he said he wanted a solution to sunburn, not to be banned from traveling to the USA for crimes against fashion!

It is splendid, isn't ?
 Trangia 20 Mar 2015
In reply to MatthewV:

I use Factor 50 plus sun block!
 eltankos 20 Mar 2015
In reply to MatthewV:

Are backwards baseball caps not cool anymore?
 wbo 20 Mar 2015
In reply to MatthewV: not on anyone over 12. Anyway hes going to europe so a certain degree of style is required. Off to Liberty and get a splendid silk paisley hankie to knot.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...