UKC

Bruce Goodlads Ski Touring Book

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jim Walton 19 Mar 2015

Making my way through this at the mo

http://www.pesdapress.com/Climbing-&-mountaineering-Skiing/c10_38/p62/Ski-T...

It's split into 14 Chapters over 275 A5 pages and covers pretty much everything you need to know about Ski Touring in the Alps from equipment, uphill and downhill techniques, Crevasse rescue, Mtn Weather and a very thorough Chapter on Avalanches and the practicalities of route choice.

Alison Culshaw (who else would you ask!) has written the chapter on downhill/off piste skiing technique and has done it really well. Matching photo's with well written text covering techniques for getting down different types of snow from deep powder through to soft slush (nasty). Ski technique is something I always found very hard to learn from a book but Alison has done it much better than in other Ski technique books I've read. I can see people reading it on chair lifts as they try on perfect their skills on the piste

Bruce has put in lots of separate "Top Tip" boxes and has lots of anecdotes in the text to give it a much more 'real' as opposed to 'Purely Technical' feel to it.

A lot of work has gone into this book and I think it's well worth a look.
Post edited at 19:47
 daWalt 19 Mar 2015
In reply to Jim Walton:

cool, cheers for heads up.
I'll need to check out the favorite tours guide bit.
The alpine ski touring guidebooks are a bit.... ahem, dated.........

Guv 20 Mar 2015
In reply to Jim Walton:

Cheers for the heads up.
Just got back from Morzine!!!!!
Missing the slopes!!!!!
 Doug 21 Mar 2015
In reply to Jim Walton:

Sounds like someone's finally written an English update of Peter Cliff's book. Hopefully I can find a copy next time I'm in the UK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...