UKC

Shared Cars & Insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 20 Mar 2015
We are seriously considering going from a two car household to a one car household.

I have a question about insurance. I am guessing will have to insure the car with one of us as the primary driver and the other as a named driver. We have both got maximum no claims bonus on our insurance policies, would whoever is the named driver lose their no claims bonus, if for example we decided in a few years that we wanted to go back to two cars. We are likely to be driving the car pretty equally.

Sorry if the answer is obvious, no experience of this before.
 climbwhenready 20 Mar 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

Yes (although you could always insure the future 2nd car in the same name as the 1st car). Some insurance companies do discounts for "been named driver on another policy" although I think these are fairly insignificant compared to NCD.
 goose299 20 Mar 2015

I think you can keep your NCD for upto two years
So just switch your primary/named driver every couple of years
OP The New NickB 20 Mar 2015
In reply to goose299:

Thanks, that sounds like a possible solution.
 Jamie Wakeham 20 Mar 2015

Indeed - it remains for two years.

I believe there are also a few policies out there that allow two people to accumulate NCB - aimed at young drivers who need to build it up whilst driving their parents' car. Off the top of my head, I seem to recall Admiral doing this? Whether another insurer would let you take this NCB out of Admiral I don't know, though, but it might be worth investigating.
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

> Indeed - it remains for two years.

> I believe there are also a few policies out there that allow two people to accumulate NCB - aimed at young drivers who need to build it up whilst driving their parents' car. Off the top of my head, I seem to recall Admiral doing this? Whether another insurer would let you take this NCB out of Admiral I don't know, though, but it might be worth investigating.

If you do it this way, the named driver only gets the NCD when they go as a primary driver with the same company the were a named river with, like Admiral for example.
 Jamie Wakeham 20 Mar 2015
In reply to markh554:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that were the case - so they'd have you as a captive market for the following year.

But I wonder if, in a subsequent year, you could take all of your accumulated NCB elsewhere?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...