UKC

Culra Bothy - current status

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cuthbert 20 Mar 2015
Does anyone know what the present status is of the bothy? I know it is "closed" but my understanding is unlocked and anyone can and does use it. Can anyone confirm?
 Bob 20 Mar 2015
In reply to Cuthbert:

Well, http://www.claviantica.com/culra/index.html but I wasn't sure if it was the whole building or just one room. There was something on here about it last year - do a forums search.
OP Cuthbert 20 Mar 2015
In reply to Bob:

I have and it was at this time last year that it "shut". It wasn't shut though. Very little information on here since.
 Simon Caldwell 20 Mar 2015
In reply to Cuthbert:

It's closed (with ugly graffiti telling you so last time I looked). It's unlocked, but you'd be rash to use it except in an emergency, as there is now exposed asbestos, both inside and out
OP Cuthbert 20 Mar 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

In all three rooms?
 Simon Caldwell 20 Mar 2015
In reply to Cuthbert:

I don't know but would expect so. From memory, the survey was carried out prior to some major building work that was needed, so it would make sense for it to have covered the whole structure. Unless what they found in the first room was so bad that they felt it too dangerous to continue, in which case I wouldn't want to go near the place!
Removed User 20 Mar 2015
In reply to Cuthbert:

> Does anyone know what the present status is of the bothy? I know it is "closed" but my understanding is unlocked and anyone can and does use it. Can anyone confirm?

You'd be well advised to give it a serve. Ben Alder cottage ain't so far away and that makes a great base. Was there last week and surprised how few people use it. It's also worth mentioning that a lightly built track now extends along the western shore of Loch Ericht to within 2km of the cottage. This makes using a bike a better proposition.
 JohnnyW 20 Mar 2015
In reply to Cuthbert:

Was there I the autumn, having taken tents due to the closure. Pitched up, but got swamped and hammered by the wind, so ended up cooking in the main room, and then sleeping there from about 2am after my tent was all but flattened. The damaged panels are in the smaller rooms, but I'm sure the main one is made of the same stuff, so theoretically dangerous.

Yer takes yer chances I suppose, but that night I didn't think twice........
 JohnnyW 20 Mar 2015
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

Ben Alder cottage is good as mentioned, but not so good if the plan is all five munros, that's probably the answer to why it gets so much less use. We walked in from Loch Rannoch, a real bogfest!
Removed User 20 Mar 2015
In reply to JohnnyW:

> Ben Alder cottage is good as mentioned, but not so good if the plan is all five munros, that's probably the answer to why it gets so much less use. We walked in from Loch Rannoch, a real bogfest!

Not any longer.
 JohnnyW 20 Mar 2015
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:
Depends whether you mean take the fire road from nearer to Kinloch Rannoch, (the way we went back) or whether you walk in and across the dam at the end of Ericht, as we did. The section from there back to the estate road is a quagmire....unless you know better, and that too now has a path?
Post edited at 16:22
Removed User 20 Mar 2015
In reply to JohnnyW:

> Depends whether you mean take the fire road from nearer to Kinloch Rannoch, (the way we went back) or whether you walk in and across the dam at the end of Ericht, as we did. The section from there back to the estate road is a quagmire....unless you know better, and that too now has a path?

No track or real sign of a path on the section from the southern Loch Ericht dam to near the building close to the Cam Chriochan. Like I say the track now gets to with 2km of the bothy.
What on earth possessed you to go that way? Apart from the marginally less height to be gained............
 top cat 20 Mar 2015
Use a canoe :0 Easy, can take LOTS of food and gear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...