UKC

Mount Fuji logistics in May/June

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mel 21 Mar 2015
Following my other post, I also understand that it can be a bit difficult to get to Mount Fuji outside the main season, as public transport is less regular and huts are closed. I had a look around the internet, but most English info I can find is about climbing Mount Fuji in mid-summer.

Does anyone know what is the best way to get to the mountain in May/June, and from which station to start walking? Is it necessary to use huts, and will any be open? Also, which routes are best to take at this time of the year (depending on conditions)? Am I being daft attempting it (as some websites say), or is it feasible to do it? I am an experienced mountaineer, climb Alpine AD and Scottish IV, and I will be bringing my axe and crampons.
 douwe 21 Mar 2015
In reply to Mel:

Just google winter climbing Fuji and contact some of the blogs:

http://www.pefferkoven.de/mt-fuji-winter-climbing.php (has a contact at the bottom)
http://climbjapan.blogspot.nl/2013/01/winter-mt-fuji-some-climbing-strategi...
https://japanhike.wordpress.com/

Haven't walked up Fuji myself but as far as I've heard from people who have done so in season it is a path filled with tourists. Somebody said about it: "Mnt. Fuji is very nice to look at. The problem with climbing mnt. Fuji is that once you are on top of mnt. Fuji you cannot look at mnt. Fuji anymore"
That said it should be much more interesting outside of the season.
 AlexM 21 Mar 2015
In reply to Mel:

> Does anyone know what is the best way to get to the mountain in May/June, and from which station to start walking

Depends where you are coming from, but if it's the Tokyo area take the train to Fujisan or Kawaguchiko station, then catch a bus up the Subaru toll road to the Yoshida trial 5th station.

> Is it necessary to use huts, and will any be open?

No, and most likely no for May/June.

> Also, which routes are best to take at this time of the year (depending on conditions)? Am I being daft attempting it (as some websites say), or is it feasible to do it? I am an experienced mountaineer, climb Alpine AD and Scottish IV, and I will be bringing my axe and crampons.

Go for it. The routes aren't technical at all, just be sensible and take care with weather (e.g. cold, wind, sun), altitude, snow conditions, etc. I've not done it outside the official climbing season, so this is my best guess for what the hazards would be around that period!
OP Mel 23 Mar 2015
In reply to douwe: Thanks! Those blogs are very useful indeed! I have contacted the first two. As you say, Mount Fuji should be better to do off-season, far less busy.

Shaurya 25 Mar 2015
In reply to Mel:
Hi Mel.
Just moved to Nagoya Aichi Perfecture for work this month. Fortunately both me and my climbing partner are stationed here for work. Moved here from Norway. We have been talking about going up Fuji during the offseason as well since it gets really touristy during the season.
Also walking in the Japanese Alps has been highly recommended by one of our friends who was working in Kyoto a few years back.
I guess its a pretty straight forward walk up. Nothing too technical. Don't even think you need to rope up.
Let me know if you'd like to join us and we can maybe work out the logistics and car rentals etc. We've got most of the gear needed for it even if the huts aren't serviced
 TonyG 25 Mar 2015
In reply to Mel:

Hi Mel

I replied to your email today with some info. It sounds like you've got an offer here of some potential partners, which is ideal... Let me know when you all plan to go, and if it's a weekend, I might join you...

Thanks

Tony
OP Mel 27 Mar 2015
In reply to TonyG:

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your email - I will reply in a bit!
Yes, please come and join us -I will try to plan to go at a weekend, so you can make it. It would be nice to have some company!

Cheers,

Mel
OP Mel 27 Mar 2015
In reply to Shaurya:

Hi,

It would be really good to have some company, so please come along! I am booking my flights on Monday, so I will let you know the dates when I am there and we can start sorting things out. Let's see if Tony can join us too. I will send you an email on Monday to arrange!

Cheers,

mel
 Shaurya 30 Mar 2015
In reply to Mel:

Hi Mel,

Sounds good. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Email me at shaur@umich.edu

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...