UKC

suggestions for entertainment on long runs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 21 Mar 2015
ullo, im in training for a few ultras and Im getting unmotivated on long training runs.
ive been listening to ministry of sound running trax, but that only lasts about 3.5h, plus week on week its boring and all the dancy upbeat songs blur in to one.
ive got loads of mp3s / cds but im wondering if anyone has other suggestions - audio books any good?
 Simon Caldwell 21 Mar 2015
In reply to Pesda potato:

Take the headphones off and listen to the birds
 zimpara 21 Mar 2015

Forget about speed. Run slower
 Simon2005 21 Mar 2015

> Im getting unmotivated on long training runs.
> plus week on week its boring.

Is this really the sport you want to pursue? I know there's no gain without some pain but training needs to be fun otherwise what's the point? Still, I'm sure an audio book would help the time pass.

Roadrunner2 21 Mar 2015

yeah just run in entertaining areas.

I rarely go over 3 hours of running..
OP The Potato 21 Mar 2015
I do vary where I run and the scenery is nice, there are lots of birds and waterlife, but im following a 100 mile training plan and one day a week is a 30 miler.

its not about speed slow down? and spend even longer out on my own?

I only wear one earphone btw I wouldnt cut myself off from nature
Post edited at 20:02
Removed User 21 Mar 2015

try mindfulness through tuning into your breathing, seeking rhythm, cadence, pace, seems to be working for me
 Bobling 21 Mar 2015

podcasts? There's a zillion out there!
 dread-i 21 Mar 2015

I've used audio books, something with a story, then you can get into it and time flies away. With audio books that try and teach you things, I find I sort of drift off and can't remember much detail, though it's interesting at the time.
 Chris the Tall 21 Mar 2015

Try podcasts, I tend to use them cycling rather than running, but my runs are much shorter than yours. Obviously depends on your interests, but I can recommend infinite monkey cage, no such thing as a fish and bbc history today
 Roadrunner2 22 Mar 2015

> I do vary where I run and the scenery is nice, there are lots of birds and waterlife, but im following a 100 mile training plan and one day a week is a 30 miler.

> its not about speed slow down? and spend even longer out on my own?

> I only wear one earphone btw I wouldnt cut myself off from nature

"one day a week is a 30 miler."

Who the hells is this? I am seriously gobsmacked...
abseil 22 Mar 2015

1. learn Japanese.
2. when finished, compose Haiku in Japanese in your head. The miles will fly by.

Glad to help.
In reply to Bobling:

Yep, down load the TED ones. So many options and many are really good
 wbo 22 Mar 2015
In reply to Pesda potato: find people to run with for at least a part of the run

A weekly 30 - seriously? Do you have a job as well? Are you recovering from them, and what else do you do per week?

carneddau 22 Mar 2015

or maybe find some nice people to run behind. someone with a nice bottom works for me, or how about running behind a clown?

Moley 22 Mar 2015

For 30 years running I never understood people using headphones or being bored.
I always ran in the country and looked and listened to things, my problem was not to keep stopping to have a poke about at something interesting I had seen.
JMGLondon 22 Mar 2015

Will you be listening to anything during the event? If not, get used to running without headphones.

As an aside - can running a 30 miler every week really help? I'd be broken!

OP The Potato 22 Mar 2015
In reply to wbo:

ha yes I do have a normal 9-5 x5 job

the plan im following is about 70m pw so something like 4m 6m 15m 30m 15m
ilk be looking foreward to enjoyable runs again after the event.

thanks, lots of good suggestions to try out
 wbo 22 Mar 2015
In reply to Pesda potato: who suggested that plan? I am not very familiar with ultras, but none of the good ultra runners i know do anything like that - id guess you're most likely to end up overtrained/slow

Roadrunner2 22 Mar 2015
In reply to wbo:

Exactly, that sounds an awful plan, I'd run more, I don't think you need 20's every week even in marathon training, every 10-14 days.

I'd run more and more structured sessions, even ultra runners need LT and speed work.

its a 100 mile event training plan I got from a link on runners world website

I do mix up the shorter runs for speed and hillwork and the rest is mix of road and trail
 Roadrunner2 22 Mar 2015

I'd question what runners world know.. normally they just steal.. and make things up. One of my articles appeared on their site... absolute scum of the running world.

Mark Torrance 22 Mar 2015

Three observations:

I never used to listen to anything running, but increasingly I hurt when I run (an age thing, I guess), and I live in Birmingham. I need something to get me out of the door. Someone else to chat with is ideal, but rare for long runs. Radio 4 works for me.

If you are really running 30 miles in 3.5 hours in training then you must be doing something right (or very badly wrong). If that is at race pace, then the world 100 mile record is yours for the taking.

I've been reading a lot of blogs of good ultra runners recently. I find that this is in many ways easier than actually running. Obviously I bow to other thread-contributers' greater experience, but I don't think sort of distance at the weekend is at all unusual.

In reply to Mark Torrance:

I never said 30 miles in 3.5h, thanks for the reply but I think you got a bit confused.

im a very average runner.
 mbh 22 Mar 2015

I don't normally listen to anything any longer while out running, but a couple of years ago I did listen to the podcasts of Neil McGregor's History of the World in 100 Objects, and to several of the In Our Time discussions hosted by Melvyn Bragg. Now, the sound of my own snot gargling in my throat is becoming so distracting that I am thinking of trying McGregor's Germany series.
 Roadrunner2 22 Mar 2015
In reply to Mark Torrance:

If you follow people on Strava, plenty of top ultra runners use it, the mileage is often pretty low.

But also the long runs are more often than not in the 18-22 mile range, but lots of 10-15 mile runs. I follow Kaci Lickteig, one of the best female ultra runners in the US on strava, former Olympic Trials Qualifier, and she runs 12-15 miles most nights on trails with her dogs.. few long runs. But then last week she ran and won a marathon in the morning and did 11 miles with her dogs in the evening.. almost week in week out she runs more than me, I'm at low 90's and she's 110-120 miles a week.

steveriley 24 Mar 2015

I get a bit bored after a couple of hours on familiar ground. I once set off for 50-60k in a group of 4 thinking we were out for a nice run together. 2 or 3 miles in it turned to every man for himself. I was definitely fed up with my own company after 6h.

Interestingly, I just did 4000' of hill repeats on the bike with an (ultra) mate who's training for the Fred Whitton. That actually passed really quickly compared to the same session on my own.
 Robert Durran 24 Mar 2015

A good maths problem (if you are that way inclined) or at least some sort of puzzle to occupy your mind. Has the advantage of no headphones cutting you off from nature.
OP The Potato 24 Mar 2015

unfortunately a training buddy is not an option for these longer runs as I tend to do them as and when I can, plus what normal friend would want to run 30 miles in the dark every week.
I do run with a club but they only do shorter hill and trail sessions of about 6 miles
 Owen W-G 24 Mar 2015

'Serial' Podcast

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...