UKC

Recommend me a wheel set for comuting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kathrync 21 Mar 2015
Looking for new wheels for my commuter. Hubs and rims are both a bit sorry for themselves! I know almost nothing about wheels, so please help me out! I would like:
700c
Not too pinchable
Hard-wearing
8-speed compatible
Not too expensive

I'm more interested in something not too expensive that will last than anything else.

Thanks!
 Bob 22 Mar 2015
In reply to kathrync:
Define expensive! Well almost any set will do though I'd look at ones with 32 spokes on the front and 36 on the rear. If you want hard wearing/longevity then it's braking that causes most wear so disk brakes will help that but if you say that the rims are looking sorry then it seems likely that this isn't an option.

Look for touring wheels rather than racing/training ones. Spa cycles in Harrogate http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s178p0 will do handbuilt wheels from £150 a set (depends on what level of parts you want) and they are aimed at tourers. I've had stuff from them but not wheels - I built my own up.
Post edited at 07:28
Rigid Raider 22 Mar 2015
In reply to kathrync:

That's good advice. This is the sort of requirement that's best served by a decent bike shop. Most shops have got something hanging from a ceiling hook that will do the job.
 JLS 22 Mar 2015
In reply to kathrync:

Good quality 8-speed will be hard to find off the shelf.
As I see it, you have two choices, buy cheap ones from Decathlon and replace as and when required or get something build up especially.
If you were to get something build up, I'd be looking at the cheapest hubs with sealed bearings, stainless steel spokes, Mavic rims. Alistair Gow's Wheelcraft shop in Milton of Campsie is the best purveyor of wheels in the Glasgow area. Big Al will give good advice.
 Mountain Llama 22 Mar 2015
In reply to kathrync:

If you want to go down the hand built route spa cycles have some good deals http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s178p2234
OP kathrync 22 Mar 2015
In reply to kathrync:

Thanks for the thoughts all. Will take a look.

K
 Oujmik 22 Mar 2015
In reply to kathrync:

These are so cheap that they are basically disposable:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/wheels-factory-built-wheel...

They're decent enough wheels and should be serviceable at any bike shop if you break a spoke (unlike many models with no-standard spokes). Unless you weigh a lot or tend to carry heavy loads whilst thrashing the bike over really rough ground these will be perfectly hard-wearing enough. The first thing to go will likely be at the braking surface as it gets worn by the grit and crap that you tend to accumulate whilst commuting in all weathers and then you'll be glad it wasn't a £300 set.
 Bob 22 Mar 2015
In reply to Oujmik:

+1 to this.

For a commuter you want things that are dependable and serviceable - Dura-Ace spokes that no-one has in stock and take three months to arrive aren't the way to go

For me a commuter bike would be: a stable steel or aluminium frame with disk brake mounts, pannier/rack bosses and a standard threaded bottom bracket (i.e. not press-fit); reasonable wheels with disks; dynamo hub on front wheel - no forgetting to charge batteries.
OP kathrync 22 Mar 2015
In reply to Bob:

Yeah, thinking I might go down that route. The bike itself is getting on for 10 years old and is slightly too big for me. I hadn't really realised it was too big until I bought a road bike that fits me properly last year, but I'm considering replacing the whole bike next year (not right now - I just bought a house), so cheap and cheerful wheels to tide me over sounds like a good option. My only slight concern is that the majority of my commute is on a pretty rough and ready cycle path so I don't want anything too flimsy.
 Oujmik 23 Mar 2015
In reply to kathrync:

> My only slight concern is that the majority of my commute is on a pretty rough and ready cycle path so I don't want anything too flimsy.

I don't think any wheel is as flimsy as you're concerned it might be. A spoked wheel is an amazingly strong thing, the only person I've ever know to break wheels was a 15 stone rugby player who had a tendency to ride directly into potholes and kerbs on 23mm tyres without taking his weight off the saddle. I've ridden various road wheels including cheapo ones and top-end lightweight racing wheels on some pretty rough tracks and never had any issue.
 LastBoyScout 23 Mar 2015
In reply to Oujmik:

I used to live near a gravel BMX track and once went round it on the way home from a ride on my carbon road bike with 20/24 hole rims.

As I was stood at the start, some kid looked me up and down and said "you'll be alright, mate, just take it slow"

I've only broken a rim once on a road - hit a pot hole in the gloom under a bridge, so didn't have any chance to get my weight off the saddle.
 malk 23 Mar 2015
In reply to kathrync:
i got these when upgrading my tourer- http://www.tredz.co.uk/.M-Part-Shimano-Deore-Hub-on-Mavic-A319-Rim-Complete...
i'm not convinced that a
Post edited at 11:31
 felt 23 Mar 2015
In reply to malk:

Nice edit!
OP kathrync 23 Mar 2015
In reply to Oujmik:

Ok, cheap and cheerful until I get a new bike it is then

Thanks all!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...