UKC

Old Man of Stoer - Gone!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JLS 22 Mar 2015
Bad news. The classic Scottish sea stake adventure that was The Old Man of Stoer is no more! It seems this winter's storms had weaked the structure so much so that when we were today tensioning our slack line, between the stack and the mainland we accidently pulled the structure over. Sorry.

The "stump" is still some 20m high and is still offers worthwhile climbing though it might be prudent to leave it a while to settle as there are a lot of unstable blocks. Some of these are quite large and could do a fair bit of damage if they came down on your head. I'll try to upload some photo's later.

On the plus side, the resulting debris has bridged the channel and the cold swim is no longer necessary.
 Gary Latter 22 Mar 2015
In reply to JLS:

What utter nonsense. Your post is 10 days too early...
Rigid Raider 22 Mar 2015
In reply to JLS:

If this isn't a wind-up, you were lucky you weren't climbing it.
 stuartpicken 22 Mar 2015
In reply to JLS:
Not subtle enough. Must try harder.
More care should be taken regarding apostrophes.
C for effort.

edit: though when it's all said and done, i appreciate that effort!
Post edited at 16:52
 Trangia 22 Mar 2015
In reply to JLS:

Are you feeling bored today?

-10/10 for troll content

-10/10 for date error
 Billhook 22 Mar 2015
In reply to JLS:

A true reflection on your interests outside climbing and your profile in general. I can see where you are coming from though.

If true, you pulled it over, what diameter steel cable were you using to do it? A climbing rope will snap at around 1 ton. To pull that over must have need a little more than that.
 silhouette 23 Mar 2015
In reply to JLS:

Larry - gawn.
Ralph - gawn.
Johnnie - gawn.
Dickie - gawn.
 The Fox 23 Mar 2015
In reply to silhouette:

Dear, dear, dear Jonny.
 The Fox 23 Mar 2015
In reply to silhouette:

And E E Cummings.

E E...
 The Fox 23 Mar 2015
In reply to JLS:

I know you deleted it, but I saw you'd been tempted to reply. That breaks the rule....
abseil 24 Mar 2015
In reply to JLS:

That's nothing. We've just pulled over the Old Man of Hoy leaving a 2-inch high stump. Sorry folks.
In reply to abseil:

Even worse news has just been broadcast, the recent re-start of the particle accelerator at CERN is causing Lake Geneva to cavitate at 8HZ which has sent the whole of the Mont Blanc massif into a temporal vortex, so Chamonix it's still there but nobody can get in and out, expect very long delays on the white motorway!
 sea_lene 24 Mar 2015
In reply to JLS:

Thanks for this because it has prompted me to putting climbing this on my "must do soon" list...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...