UKC

Scafell "art" damage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 greg_may_ 24 Mar 2015
Link sent from a friend - totally unbelievable that this can be considered something that should be put on display for what is in effect vandalisim.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/outdoors-news/artist-vandalises-scafell-pike/1...

"We're a little bemused at the news that a Ecuadorian artist, Oscar Santillan, appears to have vandalised the summit of Scafell Pike in the name of 'art' by removing the top inch of the highest point of the mountain for an 'installation' called 'The Intruder' and doubly astonished that his actions are effectively endorsed by a London art gallery which is showcasing his 'work'."
 goose299 24 Mar 2015
In reply to greg_may_:

Hang the bastard
cap'nChino 24 Mar 2015
In reply to greg_may_:
Someone should build one of those compass thingies on the top essentially making his already useless art installation defunct.
Post edited at 13:44
OP greg_may_ 24 Mar 2015
In reply to cap'nChino:

Could always take an inch off the top of the museum back I suppose. Eye for an eye and all that.
abseil 24 Mar 2015
In reply to cap'nChino:

> Someone should build one of those compass thingies on the top essentially making his already useless art installation defunct.

Or a bench ha-ha-ha.
 Fredt 24 Mar 2015
In reply to greg_may_:
Someone should go and steal the rock back, and put it back where it belongs.

Or he should be reported to the police. Where are you BMC?
Post edited at 13:52
 y2keable 24 Mar 2015
I'm going to get it back. This guy should be strung up by his balls!
 Hat Dude 24 Mar 2015
In reply to greg_may_:

I suggest that UKC members should fund a trip for me to Chimborazo to get revenge!
In reply to greg_may_:

I can't make up my mind who are the biggest pillocks in the story -- the artist whe dreamed up the idea and then did it, the gallery owners who put it on display, of the 'art' afficionados who then polish the artists ego by saying how wonderful it is.

Most of the time so called 'installation' artists are little more than con men - who can persuade the gullible to provide them with funds so that they don't have to do a proper job!

A touch of the 'Emperor's new clothes' IMHO
Rigid Raider 24 Mar 2015
In reply to greg_may_:

Isn't northern England rising with Scotland as the tectonic plate recovers from the weight of glaciation? So English mountains must be an inch higher than they were a couple of hundred years ago.

So I'm not bovvered.
In reply to greg_may_:

its not april the first already is it?
 stewieatb 24 Mar 2015
In reply to greg_may_:

Is it just me or does this not make any sense?

The highest point of Scafell Pike is either the big stone-built summit ring, or the cairn a few yards away. Unlike some of the spikier hills like Bowfell of Tryfan, there is no single highest point. This seems to have been dreamed up by somebody who's never been to the Lakes before.

Exactly which bit of rock did he remove, and from where?
KevinD 24 Mar 2015
In reply to stewieatb:

> Exactly which bit of rock did he remove, and from where?

Its art. The concept counts more than the execution.
 Lucy Wallace 24 Mar 2015
In reply to greg_may_:

Oh dear- I've come over all disgusted of UKC and emailed the gallery! *embarrassed*. It's not the mindless vandalism that bothers me. Poor Scafell Pike has to put up with plenty of that, its the idiotic actions of the gallery that have riled me.
 Tom Valentine 24 Mar 2015
In reply to dissonance:

But at least an unmade bed up there might get a bit of use now and again.
 FesteringSore 24 Mar 2015
In reply to greg_may_:
I have drafted the following email to the gallery. Might I suggest that other UKCers take similar action.

Lord of Starkness, I have taken the liberty of using part of your post in my communication; if you have any objection I'll edit.

"I am writing to you to express my anger and disgust at an act of vandalism perpetrated on Scafell Pike.

This act apparently involved the removal of a piece of rock from the summit of England's highest mountain by somebody claiming to be an "artist". This act has apparently been compounded by the fragment being exhibited in your gallery in the name of art. By doing so you have condoned an act of vandalism which has desecrated part of England's natural beauty.

I am uncertain as to who are the worst offenders in this case - the "artist" who dreamed up the idea and then did it, the gallery owners who put it on display, or the 'art' afficionados and snobs who then polish the artists ego by saying how wonderful it is.

I will be writing to the Lake District National Park Authorities to seek their comments."
Post edited at 15:12
 climbwhenready 24 Mar 2015
In reply to greg_may_:

Now the "artist" will be wallowing in their own self-satisfaction - their "work" has "provoked" an "emotional response" - the highest aim of "art" !
 Lucy Wallace 24 Mar 2015
In reply to FesteringSore:

Well if we are going to publicly air our disgruntled missives... here's my slightly ranty letter (the irony of using the word "solitude" in relation to Scafell Pike was not lost on me):

Dear Sir/Madam
In an age when we are encouraged to "take only pictures and leave only footprints" I was shocked to read this afternoon that an "artist" has deliberately vandalised a part of the landscape, for his own misguided ends, and that a British gallery is supporting him in this. His actions are so entirely at odds with the principles of conservation and respect for wild places that I'm frankly, gobsmacked at your gallery's naivete in condoning it.

Of course- mountain landscapes are dynamic places, subject to natural erosive forces, and also the actions of human beings. However, casual damage to these hills is incredibly selfish and short sighted. These are wild places, far from the hustle and bustle of the urban world- where people go to find solitude, physical challenge and to reconnect with a simpler way of life. They are cherished and cared for, and in the UK we have a strong culture of protecting these places, that is not found everywhere else in the world. Perhaps the artist was initially ignorant of this when he took the sample?

His actions are meaningless, and stupid, and whilst probably illegal have no real significance in terms of altering the summit- Scafell is constantly on the move and changes with the seasons, the artwork is simply pointless and egotistical, no more significant than an obscenity on a toilet wall. However, your actions in showing the exhibit highlight a worrying lack of understanding and respect for the natural world, and for those of us that enjoy it.

I suggest that you read the article that alerted me to this act of vandalism: http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/outdoors-news/artist-vandalises-scafell-pike/1...

Here's a short film about path repair work, it is far more interesting and worthy than your silly pebble. vimeo.com/94379426

You could make a donation to this charity that is working hard to repair damaged fells such as Scafell: http://www.fixthefells.co.uk/

Another film that is worth watching is Terry Abraham's Life of a Mountain- it's a true work of art, taking in months of effort, sleeping in a tent on the side of Scafell, and capturing it's many faces and moods. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04y4gd7

Finally- I suggest a gallery staff outing to the Lake District- to take in the raw beauty and magic of such a place. Perhaps you could climb the fells, and learn for your selves about the true beauty and meaning of the landscape.

Yours Faithfully,

Lucy Wallace
 toad 24 Mar 2015
In reply to greg_may_:

Is scafell pike in NT ownership? I guess that they'd be the people with the strongest position to address this. Whilst a chip of rock is neither here nor there,, the principle of this is a bit bloody arrogant. I suppose Natural England could prosecute if it was damage to an SSSI, but I'm sure they've got more important things not to prosecute over elsewhere (sorry NE, but you're pretty hopeless).

So yes, it's a storm in a teacup, and doesn't remotely compare to the damage by artists on the approach to Snowdon (which really was damage), but somebody should put down a marker that apart from being pretentious wankery of the highest order, this sort of thing isn't really done in a National Park. Maybe they could have a chunk of Honnister slate instead?
 FesteringSore 24 Mar 2015
In reply to Snoweider:

Excellent :0)
 ewar woowar 24 Mar 2015
In reply to greg_may_:

Maybe the artist will follow up by removing the top 1 inch of Donttellhim Pike.

KevinD 24 Mar 2015
In reply to FesteringSore:

I sent them a polite email. however on reflection I am a bit concerned that they will take the initial sarcasm as a proposal for a tw*tty exhibition.
 steveriley 24 Mar 2015
In reply to greg_may_:

I suspect this is an almighty wheeze (or a serious statement depending how flip the artist is) where the reaction is an ongoing part of the intent. Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells type responses all being grist to the mill. I fully expect the 'uppermost inch of the highest mountain in England' to be any old bit of rock, of the kind many of us have carried down because it looked interesting. Or it could be something else.
 aln 24 Mar 2015
In reply to greg_may_:

Has no-one who's ranting here noticed that the article linked to questions wether or not the piece of rock was actually chipped, or just picked up?
KevinD 24 Mar 2015
In reply to aln:

> Has no-one who's ranting here noticed that the article linked to questions wether or not the piece of rock was actually chipped, or just picked up?

yes. However that is irrelevant to the gallery/artist claiming it was chipped.
 Lucy Wallace 24 Mar 2015
In reply to aln:

Yes- it's quite possible that he just picked up a rock from somewhere- which makes the whole thing even more utterly daft- with all that pretentious spouting about national identiy and changing the English landscape in the blurb.... However, what it doesn't alter, is that the gallery is essentially saying that it is ok to smack bits of rock off the landscape if it's for "art", when it obviously isn't.

They have to say this in order to justify the installation. If he did just climb Scafell with all the other hordes and pick up a pebble, then it wouldn't be "art", he'd just be another tourist. That would be quite funny- so they'll never admit it.

You'll find the gallery on an arty social media network called Tondo here: http://tondo.is/copperfieldlondon They are posting copies of some of the emails they have received from outdoor folk- and are defending the installation by likening it to taking a pebble from a beach. So perhaps it was a loose rock and they don't want to admit it?
 mountainbagger 24 Mar 2015
In reply to Snoweider:

http://www.copperfieldgallery.com/oscar-santillan-to-break-a-silence-into-s...

Despite wanting to be a better person and not judging somebody from a photo (but simultaneously judging him anyway), he does look like a selfish w*nker.
 aln 24 Mar 2015
In reply to Snoweider:

I'm not disagreeing with the arseness of the 'art' or the arrogance of the concept or indeed the pretentious blurb from the gallery. Just maybe not get sucked into their pish and start raving about vandalism till it's confirmed.
 toad 24 Mar 2015
In reply to mountainbagger:

It's not a photo, It's "process documentation" or "postmodern fekwittery" as it's also referred to by people who cn see beyond their navel.
 stuartpicken 24 Mar 2015
In reply to Tom Valentine

"But at least an unmade bed up there might get a bit of use now and again."
i would like to like this twice. i'm not sure UKC has made my audibly chuckle before!
In reply to stuartpicken:

> In reply to Tom V

> "But at least an unmade bed up there might get a bit of use now and again."

> i would like to like this twice. i'm not sure UKC has made my audibly chuckle before!

There's nothing funny about that.

Id never get into an unmade bed. Its just not right......
 Yanis Nayu 24 Mar 2015
In reply to greg_may_:

*And the so-called installation itself - 'An entire nation’s height is modified and its landscape redefined by means of a single careful action' reads the blurb.*

Or the pretentious bollocks, as I like to call it.

My rule is that if art needs a narrative, it's shite.
 Mark Eddy 24 Mar 2015
In reply to greg_may_:

The highest point on Scafell Pike is already a 'vandalised' place with the summit structure being man made.

And as for leaving the mountains in their natural state, have a look at the summit plateau of Scafell Pike, it's littered with man made cairns and walled shelters. Removing a small stone, big deal!
Bingers 24 Mar 2015
In reply to greg_may_:

Would it make it any better if he was a "real" climber? According to the article, he did "scale" the 3028 ft of Scafell Pike, which leads to me think that
A he at the very least is a scrambler and
B somebody has already chipped/stolen/eroded 180ish feet of it anyway.

lukerockwalker 24 Mar 2015
In reply to y2keable:

Can i lift share, and i'll be your look out
 london_huddy 24 Mar 2015
In reply to greg_may_:

I've emailed info@copperfieldgallery.com seeking an explanation of why they're supporting vandalism of a SSSI
http://www.sssi.naturalengland.org.uk/citation/citation_photo/1001922.pdf

Tom Valentine 24 Mar 2015
In reply to greg_may_:

The worst thing our community could ever have done regarding this pathetic attempt at notoriety was to pay it any attention at all and let the thing slide into well-deserved oblivion, but I fear it is too late now.
KevinD 24 Mar 2015
In reply to london_huddy:

Sadly looking at that link Snoweider posted the retards will probably take it as a validation of their "art".
They seem to think that any reaction shows their art is worth something since it touches a nerve. Hopefully they will take this to its logical conclusion and taser themselves in order to truly touch someones nerves.
 london_huddy 24 Mar 2015
In reply to dissonance:

Well, I've emailed a variety of media outlets and the National Park Agency as well who have passed environmental crime to Cumbria Constabulary before now... It's this sort of thing that really annoys me: just a bit self-indulgent and selfish.
mgco3 24 Mar 2015
In reply to greg_may_:

As they say in Ecuador , "worafukintossa"
 Billhook 24 Mar 2015
In reply to greg_may_:

I once stole (sorry, borrowed a stone from the top of the Ben). I promise I'll put it back.

And I'll do that too for the nice bit of crystal off Snowdon that lays in my rock pile, and the bit off some mountain in Arolla. Likewise the lump of Canada I've got from my last canoeing trip. Then there's those fossils I've got off our cliffs - thats shrunk the coast line a bit (too much?).

Oh, and one winter I climbed Curved Ridge and knocked a bit off there in rather lean conditions to improve my hold. It was a bit loose though in all fairness.

But then this is all mitigated by the countless cairns erected here, there and certainly almost every bump, hill, and mountain in the UK. Were not short of them in Yorkshire. I've deliberately demolished several some of them reducing the hight of bumps by a few feet and not inches either!!

This one is really for the owner of Scafell to decide whether they wish to report it as a crime or not. I wonder how many feet have been worn off Snowdon by too many feet over the years? And by you and me and all of the rest of summiteers elsewhere too?
In reply to ewar woowar:

> Maybe the artist will follow up by removing the top 1 inch of Donttellhim Pike.

I'm not sure whether I'd be more horrified / impressed if he'd ended up displaying the top six inches of Rum Doodle!
llechwedd 24 Mar 2015
In reply to greg_may_:
All the hot air this has generated- you'd imagine he's stolen a fragment of the True Cross.

If it's from the summit, only a fraction will be yer actual lakeland rock.The rest will be piss, snot, and energy gel residue.

If he'd purloined Adam & Eve off Tryfan- now that would be desecration.
Post edited at 21:11
In reply to greg_may_:

I'd be more in favour of removing the top inch of Oscar Santillan.
 Jon Stewart 25 Mar 2015
In reply to greg_may_:

This thread is as crap and ridiculous as the shitty artwork. There hasn't been any vandalism, nothing has been damaged, and one nobhead's stupid theoretical "point" is just being met by an equally ridiculous theoretical "point" by those who think this is "vandalism" or even "crime".

Take a step back, this is absolutely absurd. I would say that if part of the intention of the art was to show what a bunch of pompous pricks people who identify as "outdoorsy" rather than "cultured" are, then I'd say he's doing a pretty good job.
 Lucy Wallace 25 Mar 2015
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Would love to know the truth of this before dismissing it as absurd. Anyone heard back from the gallery?

For pompousness the gallery blurb wins hands down!
 Jon Stewart 25 Mar 2015
In reply to Snoweider:

> Would love to know the truth of this before dismissing it as absurd.

If you've been to the summit of Scafell Pike, then you can dismiss it as absurd.
 Simon Caldwell 25 Mar 2015
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Well said. Even if he'd genuinely chipped a tiny bit off the summit (which he didn't, as it's hidden underneath a massive cairn) then why would it matter?

toad 25 Mar 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

The action doesn't matter. At all - trivial and insiginificant. The underlying attitude, though is much more concerning, as the Welsh graffiti/ failed cleanup debacle illustrated
 MonkeyPuzzle 25 Mar 2015

And does most crap art manage to perpetuate by being controversial? Ignore it and it'll go away.
 cmgcmg 25 Mar 2015
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

In art as in life, the only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about.

A good artist sparks controversy and although I detest talentless art this chap is definitely being talked about for picking up a pebble of the top of the scafell plateau.

Every word that is uttered about this adds to the value of the pebble.

That's £50 I've just made this chap and I want my cut...
 MonkeyPuzzle 25 Mar 2015
In reply to cmgcmg:

Here, have some gravel.
Ste Brom 25 Mar 2015
In reply to greg_may_:

Its all very Nathan Barleyesque.
 Philip 25 Mar 2015

It's the principle. Approx 100,000 people ascend Scafell Pike each year. If each took an inch, it would about -6000ft by the end of the year,

A 6000 ft hole! Imagine the health and safety risk there.

Of course, if everyone left an inch (balanced on top of each other) for 3 years we'd have a summit as high as Everest (and harder to get to).
Post edited at 17:54
 NottsRich 26 Mar 2015
In reply to Philip:

> Of course, if everyone left an inch (balanced on top of each other) for 3 years we'd have a summit as high as Everest (and harder to get to).

I like this idea!

sbc_10 29 Mar 2015
In reply to Hat Dude:

> I suggest that UKC members should fund a trip for me to Chimborazo to get revenge!

That top inch might not be as impressive if the gallery is quite warm.
 mountainbagger 29 Mar 2015

Well the funniest thing about that article is it says it takes 7 hrs to climb Scafell. Should be a bit quicker now thanks to Oscar.

I also take back my earlier post about him looking like a self absorbed w*nker. I'd seen a still from a film of his and assumed it was him in it. Perhaps that was also part of the whole gag.
In reply to greg_may_:

Has anyone considered that every time anyone calls the rock "art" (in inverted commas), lessens the argument as to why Scarfell should have it back? To devalues the rock would be a mistake, bettering this would be to request for the rock back to make whole the previous art of the Lake District.

I'm not an expert, but I suspect every reply on this thread increases the value of the rock (while in their hands) by 100 pounds.
 mark s 29 Mar 2015
In reply to greg_may_:
a lot of fuss over nothing
how many people have taken a piece of rock home
 Tom Last 29 Mar 2015
In reply to greg_may_:

Down with this sort of thing!
Andy Gamisou 29 Mar 2015
In reply to Tom Last:

> Down with this sort of thing!

Careful now!
 Lucy Wallace 30 Mar 2015
In reply to mountainbagger:

If it was indeed a joke then I hold my hands up to being thoroughly taken in! I'm happy indeed to hear that no rock was chipped for art. I hope they had a laugh reading my ranty email. Shame about the folks who sent hate mail.
 mountainbagger 30 Mar 2015
In reply to Snoweider:

Yes, agree. Who knows now. It's easy enough after you've p*ssed people off to say "alright alright it was just a joke" or "what's wrong with you, can't you take a joke?"

Though in this case it is perhaps a stone in a teacup or storm in a display cabinet or something, regardless of original intent.

In fact, he could call it "storm in a display cabinet." You can have that one for free Oscar.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...