UKC

Sheffield or Nottingham university?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Joe123 24 Mar 2015
Been offered a place for teaching training at both Sheffield and Nottingham but unsure which one to pick. Anyone got any suggestions or experiences of either course?

Cheers
In reply to Joe123:

Ive lived in both cities.

Nottingham is a nicer town. Sheffield is closer to hills.

Both are great Unis and have good eateries and nightlife.
Id go with the uni which has the best ratings for your course. Tough call if they are both equal.
 girlymonkey 24 Mar 2015
In reply to Joe123:

I went to Sheffield and found it a really friendly place to live, and loads of local climbing. I liked that most 'student' areas were not student enclaves, but had real people living there, I felt like part of the local community.
 BnB 24 Mar 2015
In reply to Joe123:

I understand they are both pretty good . For what it's worth My nephew walked out of his undergraduate course in History at Nottingham University, took a break and then settled happily at Sheffield University.
 Chris the Tall 24 Mar 2015
In reply to BnB:

As much as I enjoyed my time at Nottingham, Sheffield is so much handier for the peak.

Sheffield city centre isn't a patch of Nottingham (unless the latter has gone down dramatically), but the suburbs are nicer.
 ebdon 24 Mar 2015
In reply to Chris the Tall:

What Chris said rings very true I live in Nottingham and allthough its a great city with a lot going on it cant beat Sheffield for access to the outdoors. it takes me best part of an hours drive to get anywhere decent
 Clarence 24 Mar 2015
In reply to Joe123:
I did my teacher training at Nottingham and ended up in some "problem" schools but it did give me access to traveller communities and schools where English is an additional language. A friend did his teacher training in Sheffield and got an easier but less challenging time in more homogeneous schools.

That's the teacher training roulette for you...
Post edited at 16:40
 IMA 24 Mar 2015
In reply to Joe123:

Whichever you walk around and prefer from the staff at open days to the vibe around the university and the city.

Then look at the course and work out which suits/prefer. Look at all tables for your course rating as they use different metrics.

Now work out which location suits your lifestyle, or which has clubs you wish to join.

Schools are luck of the draw, and as I read from Clarence above, a challenging school can give you greater development. But everywhere has its good and bad schools.

End of the day it is whhichever you feel you will get the higher grade/best experience teaching and general life. Both will be good fun at the end of the day.

Having spent too much time in student recruitment that will be some of my best advice.

abr1966 25 Mar 2015
In reply to Joe123:

Sheffield!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...