UKC

Micro Camming Devices

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
james2015 24 Mar 2015
I'm new here and after your opinions! I'm really keen to get a jump start on my final year uni project and have chosen to design a micro camming device.

To make this a successful project & hopefully a market leading product I need your help...obviously I climb but as some clever bloke once said two brains are better than one so if you have a spare minute then please fill out this questionnaire (its really short).

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1qOX99TotMZlXufuebKcNVzqmhQS3RGSIib7ubTXYCI...
 jimtitt 24 Mar 2015
In reply to james2015:

What do you mean Totem-Aliens or Totem-Fixe. Totem cams has nothing to do with Aliens or Fixe.
 Robin Woodward 24 Mar 2015
In reply to james2015:

I'm not sure what your Totem references are either, they are called Totem cams and Basic cams (the alien style ones),both made by Totem. Fixe (manufacturer) make Aliens (product) and are the patent (or whatever) holders I think?

You're also missing at least the Metolius TCU. Don't know what the definition of 'micro' is.
 TobyA 24 Mar 2015
In reply to james2015:

I would say price should be on list of attributes because at least in my case most of my micro cams are DMM 3CUs which I bought because I could afford them!
james2015 25 Mar 2015
In reply to jimtitt:

I meant Aliens-Totem or Aliens-Fixe (now corrected thanks)
james2015 25 Mar 2015
In reply to Robin Woodward:

thanks, added metolius TCU and for the purpose of this survey I've put the definition of micro as smaller than a friend 1.5 or BD 0.75
james2015 25 Mar 2015
In reply to TobyA:

I've omitted price as its not a factor which determines the performance of the product, the survey is simply to find out what the "perfect" cam would be. Worry about cost later...
 Robin Woodward 25 Mar 2015
In reply to james2015:

I think this is a very large range for a 'micro cam' and if so you're missing the DMM's (4CU/3CU, dragons, demons), and the Totem cam amongst others. Google camming ranges and there's lots of useful charts comparing sizes.
 jkarran 25 Mar 2015
In reply to james2015:

Mechanical Engineering or Product Design project?
jk
 HeMa 25 Mar 2015
In reply to james2015:

You should also make a distinction between Fixe aliens, as they now have 2 models. "original" Alien and the new Lite Alien.

http://www.fixehardware.com/shop/cch-aliens/
 tehmarks 25 Mar 2015
In reply to james2015:

A Friend 1.5 is very definitely not a micro cam (a macro cam?)!
 Aigen 26 Mar 2015
In reply to james2015:

metolius just brought out new mastercams
 jimtitt 26 Mar 2015
In reply to tehmarks:

> A Friend 1.5 is very definitely not a micro cam (a macro cam?)!

Mine isn´t for sure!
I´d lump micro-cams as anything roughly under 1" so Zero´s and things like that.
 AlanLittle 26 Mar 2015
In reply to jimtitt:

+1

"Standard" is, by definition, Friend 1 to Friend 4. And mid-range on a Friend 1 is about an inch.
 beardy mike 26 Mar 2015
In reply to AlanLittle:
Apart from the simple fact that aliens went up to size 2 friends, master and go up to 1.5, x4s go to green camalot size so between friend 1.5 and 2... Should I go on?
Post edited at 12:50
 HeMa 26 Mar 2015
In reply to beardy mike:

And C3:s largest being the about the size of 0.3 C4...

So your point is?

In my opinion anything larger than 0.3 C4 is pretty much a small cam (or mid sized or what ever). And smaller are micro cams.
 beardy mike 26 Mar 2015
In reply to HeMa:

My point is very simple, micro cams are generally substantially different to standard cams which are stiffer in the stem, have wider head width and usually a more compact trigger system. They are fairly different.
 HeMa 26 Mar 2015
In reply to beardy mike:

> My point is very simple, micro cams are generally substantially different to standard cams which are stiffer in the stem, have wider head width and usually a more compact trigger system. They are fairly different.

The main difference is the size... of course a wide, rigid micro cam is shite, but that's beside the point.
 beardy mike 26 Mar 2015
In reply to HeMa: well its not really beside the point is it. They are totally different beasts. There are instances where a micro style larger cam is going to perform better than a standard cam. For example pocketed limestone. Less than perfect vertical placements, where a zero style termination might benefit the leade by making the placement more secure by reducing the lever forces on the placement. Or very shallow placements where a wide cam simply wouldn't sit. And then there are the disadvantages of a large micro style cam, that they are generally quite floppy. And really the larger sizes cams which I pesronally would consider from 0.75 camalot upwards, need to be stiffer for ease of placement, and wider for stability. And I get the impression that thats what the Op is asking for a discussion about, rather than the standard UKC pissing competition...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...