UKC

Any Physics teachers? Please help!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 efrance24234 25 Mar 2015
Someone left our department last week and I have to cover a level 3 physics lesson. I thought it was a chemistry class so I put my name forward. Anyway I have no knowledge on the particular subject or resources.

Does anyone have any resources to teach the following.
2.1. Define attenuation and explain attenuation of X-rays by scatter, the photo-electric effect, Crompton scatter and pair production.

2.2. Describe how attenuation effects correlate with photon energy, transmission material and distance travelled.

2.3. Explain the significance of attenuation for conventional medical X-ray Imaging.

If you don't have resources but know of a good source of information please let me know.
I would really appreciate any help with this!
Elliot.
 kestrelspl 25 Mar 2015
In reply to efrance24234:

Not a teacher, but doing a physics PhD. This website has a pretty good run down of most of 2.1 and 2.2 http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/nuclear-engineering/22-01-introduction-to-ionizi... for scatter you might have more luck looking for X-ray diffraction as this would be the technical term for what I presume they're talking about.
 dale1968 25 Mar 2015
In reply to efrance24234: Very impressive if you can blag that subject, looks a tad difficult.......

elsewhere 25 Mar 2015
The whole basis of x-rays is attenuation or contrast between xray transparent/opaque tissues on the image.
The xray image is essential a shadow of what is opaque and semi-opaque.

Could you demo this with a shoebox illuminated by a point source of light (bulb, large pinhole) at one end with a hidden semi-transparent or opaque object in the box to cast a shadow on a translucent paper screen at the other end?

I need a Blue Peter badge and some sticky backed plastic.

PS wikipedia is usually very good for basic techy science stuff.
Post edited at 16:19
OP efrance24234 25 Mar 2015

Thanks everyone for your help!
I should be able to string something together now.
Elliot.
 Jamie Wakeham 25 Mar 2015

What do you mean by 'level 3'? Unless I'm mistaken, that looks rather like the OCR A2 syllabus.

I have the CGP guide to this on my desk, which is fairly concise - if you'd like a scan emailed to you then get in touch. Googling my name will find my website and email address, or go via UKC.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...