UKC

Sad news from New Zealand

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rampikino 25 Mar 2015
For those of you who have climbed in the North Island, I have found out from Bryce and Wendy Martin that their cafe, shop and bouldering cave all burned down in an accident earlier today.

Bryce and family are all ok and their house was saved but the damage to the complex is extensive.

We had many enjoyable visits to Wharepapa South and Bryce and Wendy were always great with us. Wendy even stayed with us last year on a UK visit. Bryce could be grumpy but could also be very generous and is a NZ climbing legend.

It's a sad loss of a well established NZ climbing facility and we hope they will be back.
 Dave Garnett 25 Mar 2015
In reply to Rampikino:

That is very sad. We had a great time there too. I felt we got the once over from Bryce when we wanted to hire a rope but we seemed to pass muster and he couldn't have been more helpful.

Anyone who hasn't visited the other Froggatt Edge has missed something and Bryce's was (and I hope will be again) an integral part of the experience. I hope they are up and running again soon.
 james.slater 25 Mar 2015
In reply to Rampikino:

Very bad news! Stayed a few nights and had a great time a few years ago! They helped me out loads with the best places to go and how best to find myself a climbing partner. They have a great set up there, hopefully it will be restored soon!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...