UKC

Solution for the Isolated Buttress at Harrison's Rocks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Sarah Cullen 26 Mar 2015
Solution for Isolated Buttress

Since the unsafe boulder previously used as a jump across to the Isolated Buttress was removed, and following a visit from Ian Nettleton, a well-qualified engineer/geologist used by the BMC for advice on such matters, a decision has been made by the Harrison’s Rocks Management Group (HRMG) for the solution to maintain access to this popular climbing area. After discussion amongst themselves along with the climbing community, the points to consider in finding a solution were:-

1. The safety of any means of future access
2. The importance of preventing any reason for people to lower off or to belay using moving ropes over the
buttress (which would cause considerable damage to the fragile sandstone rocks.)
3. The advice from Ian Nettleton that the long-term stability of the large boulder used by Boulder Bridge
Route could be affected by the large amount of traffic that it would get if we adopted any of the options
using the boulder.

The HRMG have decided that the only viable solution to meet these criteria is to build a bridge across the gap. This will be installed at the earliest opportunity.

XXXX 26 Mar 2015
In reply to Sarah Cullen:

What was the outcome of the public/user consultation. I can't find it anywhere?

Might it be possible to have a bridge with a gap in it ... to vaguely imitate the old means of access?
XXXX 26 Mar 2015
In reply to XXXX:

No really. I would like to see it. Thanks!
 DerwentDiluted 26 Mar 2015

If you had just waited a week you could have had much more fun, a Tarzan swing would have been my preference but you could have had good 1st April fun announcing a tunnel, or a gondala or that you were going to infill the gap with spoil from HS2 and it would be subsequently known as less isolated buttress.
XXXX 27 Mar 2015
In reply to XXXX:

No really, really. I would like to see your consultation with the users.

Are you coming back?

Was there even a consultation or is this a unilateral decision? Just so I know whether to leave the BMC or not.

Scarab9 27 Mar 2015
In reply to XXXX:

Before you fly off on some personal war on the BMC without any information and seemingly without the ability to comprehend what was written in regards to who was involved, why don't you try something other than moaning impatiently about someone not being online to respond to your whims within 24hrs?

Took me 10 seconds to google "harrisson rocks isolated buttress consultation" and see that this page https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/RAD/viewcrag.aspx?id=119 mentions the consultation and that the page will be updated once a decision is made. Give it a day or two for them to have a bloody chance, or drop them an email rathe than ranting that someone hasn't focused their attention specifically on this post which is far from an official notice.
Sarah Cullen 27 Mar 2015
In reply to XXXX:

Thank you for your comments here and in January, which will be considered as part of the consultation process. Opinion gathered from our posting here in January, along with Facebook Campaigns, emails from regular users, discussion at the Sandstone Open Meeting in October and expert advice from Ian Nettleton has all been taken into account.

This information has been useful in our (The Harrison's Rocks Management Group, (HRMG)) decision making and foremost we have considered:-

1. The safety of any means of future access
2. The importance of preventing any reason for people to lower off or to belay using moving ropes over the
buttress (which would cause considerable damage to the fragile sandstone rocks.)
3. The advice from Ian Nettleton that the long-term stability of the large boulder used by Boulder Bridge
Route could be affected by the large amount of traffic that it would get if we adopted any of the options
using the boulder.

To meet the criteria above we can see no alternative than to make plans to build a bridge and don't intend to delay much longer.
XXXX 27 Mar 2015
In reply to Scarab9:

Thanks Scarab. As you say yourself there was no report or detail on that page whatsoever. It is not unreasonable if ukc is to be used as a method of public consultation that relatively prompt replies to queries be expected. It is clear from Sarah's post that UKC does constitute an official channel.

I note your concerns about my personal war but actually I think I've been pretty reasonable, if a little impatient.

What's your interest by the way?
XXXX 27 Mar 2015

Will you be publishing the results of the public consultation?

I think this is a major decision with implications across the sandstone outcrops and I think it merits significant effort to communicate what has been learned.

If I am a minority of one in opposing this vandalism then so be it, but I'm not at all convinced that is the case.

Daimon - Rockfax Global Crag Moderator 27 Mar 2015
In reply to XXXX:

As Sarah correctly pointed out:

"To meet the criteria above we can see no alternative than to make plans to build a bridge and don't intend to delay much longer".

And opinions were requested thorough many channels using a number of means which including Open Meetings which is probably the best method to hear and discuss opinions and proposals which you should attend if you feel as strongly as you do. The HRMG is put in place to make the best decisions and do not make them likely. So it will be a bridge or no bridge and the wider implications of this are 'non' as it only effects this buttress. The HRMG need to move forward with this as if they do not the wider implications of people trying to get on and off the rock could be more damaging to the rock and also them self's.

The story was also published here: http://www.southernsandstoneclimbs.co.uk/2015/03/solution-for-isolated-butt... which is basically what you all ready know, and this site is a good stop point for information on sandstone as not every piece of info that is published in exactly world news, more specific interest and information.

FYI The next open meeting is Sunday 17th May 2015, 6pm (for a 6:30pm start), Bowles Rocks Bar
(Please note earlier time)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...