UKC

Drone cameras

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 3leggeddog 26 Mar 2015
There are a few drone cam vids of route knocking around. Is there software available to keep a drone at a certain position in space relative to the user?

I was thinking, 2m away, at 45degrees above vertical for example. It would give good route footage and be very interesting in the event of a fall!

Software developers, remember me in your royalties
 toad 26 Mar 2015
In reply to 3leggeddog:

Yes, don't know what it's called, but the software for the hexathingy the uni has for surveying will do that - was out with it last week - very impressive if a bit sinister
 Andy DB 26 Mar 2015
In reply to 3leggeddog:

Think these guys have already cracked it.
http://hexoplus.com/
https://www.airdog.com/
 planetmarshall 26 Mar 2015
In reply to 3leggeddog:

> I was thinking, 2m away, at 45degrees above vertical for example. It would give good route footage and be very interesting in the event of a fall!

Especially if it flew off, alerted mountain rescue, then returned with a tent and a hot chocolate.

In reply to Andy DB:

Huge potential for both awesome climbing photography and annoying the f*ck out of me...
 The Lemming 26 Mar 2015
In reply to 3leggeddog:

This was my plan with the quad I bought. That was until I discovered all the CAA restrictions and how much trouble I could get into.

My quad could autonomously track my every move too.

The 10 inch rotors scared me at the thought of killing my dog do I sold it.
In reply to The Lemming:
> ...This was my plan with the quad I bought. That was until I discovered all the CAA restrictions and how much trouble I could get into.

I hadn't actually looked at them in detail before but they are actually quite restrictive. Some which are pertinent to the OPs plans could be:

"The person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft must maintain direct, unaided visual contact with the aircraft sufficient to monitor its flight path in relation to other aircraft, persons, vehicles, vessels and structures for the purpose of avoiding collisions."

- which kind of defeats the object of having an autonomous drone tracking your own movements, unless it stays in front of you all the time and you keep looking up.

Also...

"The person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft ... must not fly such an aircraft... at a height of more than 400 feet above the surface"

Maybe not that pertinent to many UK crags, but would certainly put some places off limits.
Post edited at 18:24
 The Lemming 26 Mar 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:

And not to mention how close a drone can be to people.

robapplegate 26 Mar 2015
In reply to 3leggeddog:
If I ever see a drone near me on a crag I will be tempted to chuck rocks at it till it falls out of the sky.
Post edited at 21:46
 balmybaldwin 26 Mar 2015
In reply to 3leggeddog:
It can definitely be done, the question is do you want what is effectively an upside down flymo (minus safety sheilding) buzzing around near you and your rope essentially hunting you?

The only way to do it safely is with a pilot and a spotter, and a climber that is aware of the camera.

With my drone I am beginning to test the automation capabilities, and the are astonishing, but the are complex to program and programing failsafes and not relying on the tech is essential. (a bit like our fully automated passenger aircraft are still manned by at least 2 qualified pilots - even if one can lock the other out and press the self destruct button)
Post edited at 22:14
llechwedd 26 Mar 2015
In reply to robapplegate:

> If I ever see a drone near me on a crag I will be tempted to chuck rocks at it till it falls out of the sky.

Like this?

youtube.com/watch?v=YeS7ilnh1gY&
 Gerry 27 Mar 2015

You also need landowner permission. Apart from the very restrictive CAA regulations there are many issues re. pilot skills/motive/insurance etc. etc. with attendant liabilities if anything goes wrong or any accident occurs; if the climber fell off was this caused by his lack of skill or the distraction caused by the drone?
I believe the National Trust has a blanket ban on flying these things over any of their property.
 solomonkey 28 Mar 2015
In reply to Gerry:

The national trust has a blanket ban on Climbing at any of there properties too so don't think that'll be a issue !
As for anywhere else I recon it's like playing music at the crag - prob not what everyone else was heading out to the crags for .
robapplegate 29 Mar 2015
In reply to llechwedd:

LOL exactly like that but maybe more than 1 rock and I'd try harder to hit it
estivoautumnal 29 Mar 2015
In reply to Gerry:

I had a drone fly over my land/garden recently. I have absolutely no problem with them flying over public land or when given permission. I've even use them in my professional capacity. But if I have one fly over my land again I may think about purchasing an air gun. Could be fun.
 Steve John B 17 Apr 2015
In reply to Colza:

> The national trust has a blanket ban on Climbing at any of there properties too so don't think that'll be a issue !

Better tell Brimham Rocks about that (yes i know I'm posting this a month too late...)
 solomonkey 17 Apr 2015
In reply to Steve John B:

Fair cop ! Parking is now £20 though !
 Indy 18 Apr 2015

An your no longer limited to a shitty GoPro either.....
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicmicrocinemacamera

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...