UKC

Wireless CCTV cameras

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 26 Mar 2015
Hi folks,
We've been burgled for the second time in the past year, garfen shed and garage on the front driveway.

Does anyone have any recommendations for wireless CCTV cameras that record onto your laptop etc? Would be mounted on the outside of the house assuming the signal reaches it.

No idea about CCTV so if you have a better alternative, that would be great.

Thanks, Den
 Mountain Llama 26 Mar 2015
In reply to Denni:

Hi Den

I would go for better methods to prevent entry, ie more secure locks,doors, windows etc, and visual detergents like an alarm or dummy alarm box before I went for cctv. Plus make sure all windows are covered so folks cannot see in.

HTH Davey
OP Denni 26 Mar 2015
In reply to Mountain Llama:

Hi Davey,
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.
Problem we have is that we live in a Military Quarter so there is a limit as to how much we can alter or add to the outside buildings.
They have to come to replace the garage door at some point so will ask them for a better on but I agree, all of the above would help so may have a chat with our military housing folk to see what they can do.
Den
 cander 26 Mar 2015
In reply to Mountain Llama:

I guess making your house completely secure from a determined thief is nearly impossible , so what are the camera's for (retorical question) it shouldnt be to deter a thief - because I'm not sure it will - Balaclava, stocking mask etc. So the purpose of a CCTV camera should be to gather video and images of the thief to assit in the capture, arrest and subsequent conviction and then the one months community order as a result

So get cameras with high quality video - those grainy videos you see on the news useless as evidence.
 Mountain Llama 26 Mar 2015
In reply to Denni:

I have driven past this shop quite a few times, can't recommend but their Web site looks good http://www.cctvfirst.co.uk/

Surely they will let you put up a couple of dummy bell boxes as a deterant?

Davey
 balmybaldwin 26 Mar 2015
In reply to Denni:

Miitary accomodation? Brave burglars!

Get a mate to stand outside in full dress uniform and a bayonette!
 sleavesley 27 Mar 2015
In reply to Denni:
Hi - that sucks.
I had the same done but only once, we live in close proximity to a rough area so they end up stealing from their doorstep so to speak (1/2 a mile or so away).
My father in law is an ex engineer and made me a dead lock for the garden shed - I also fitted a shed shackle and a Wireless PIR inside that sets off the doorbell chime (you can have extra fitted and have different chimes for different connections all wireless, it was a Siemens doorbell chime with the extra siemens PIR detector purchased from B&Q but they don't sell it anymore!)
You could also buy a garage door stopper, but that may just alert people you have something worth taking - these can be purchased from many outlets. They stop the door being opened at the bottom, but won't stop them bending the sides if they are not secured.
I also have CCTV as does the majority of my estate and have had no trouble since - it also caught a chance thief who was trying car doors at 5am. This was forwarded to the police and he was known to them so aided them.
The CCTV I have was from Maplin.
If you google shed shackle they have a kit that can be fitted to garden sheds to help reduce and beef up their security.

Just have a look at this site - I have purchased from them. http://securityforbikes.com/shed-shackle.php

This is the beef up kit http://securityforbikes.com/beef-up-kit.php (you can buy this stuff from a DIY store cheaper)
Post edited at 08:06
 Neil Williams 27 Mar 2015
In reply to cander:
> I guess making your house completely secure from a determined thief is nearly impossible

Home security is a game of one-upmanship. If you have something that only you have and the thief really wants, and your house has doors and windows, they will get in and get it. If, however, your house is visibly more secure than your neighbour's and they've got one as well (big screen telly etc) they will nick your neighbour's, not yours. And unless you have (and they have seen you have) a very expensive bike or something, most people have the same in their garage/shed (lawnmower, hedge trimmer etc) as next door do.

So CCTV in that regard is a very effective deterrent if your neighbour hasn't got it.

Neil
Post edited at 08:31
 Toby_W 27 Mar 2015
In reply to Denni:

I have these on my rather scruffy garage. All you see from the outside is two small holes either side of the door and they are very secure. I was rather reluctant to put one of those giant yellow things on the Middle that rather advertises you have something valuable in there.

http://www.lockshopdirect.co.uk/products/Enfield-Garage-Door-Bolts-Garage-d...

~26 pounds on ebay

Cheers

Toby
 nutme 27 Mar 2015
Getting CCTV will just make CCTV stolen as well next time.

Getting alarm is a bit better idea. You can get something you will put inside a garage and house. One with movement sensor is a good idea. In that case you don't need to wire up each door and window. Once it has a movement it turns on the horn which will scary the buglers and alarm however is around. Get as powerful alarm as you can, so f*ck would shit their pans and their ears bleed!

Don't forget a battery for alarm, it's common for intruders to cut off the power and telephone line before entering the house.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...