UKC

VPN for Android?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 26 Mar 2015
Free stuff any good? I tried tunnelbear, didn't work.
 Joez 26 Mar 2015
In reply to aln:

Hola

Works flawlessly for me
 john arran 26 Mar 2015
In reply to LittleJoe:

> Hola

> Works flawlessly for me

... most of the time. There are some sites from some countries I still need to use a paid-for vpn to get to - most recently a credit card company from Myanmar. It's also very noticeable that bandwidth drops off massively with Hola when there's a popular sports event on and lots of people wanting to use Hola to see it.
 Scarab9 27 Mar 2015
In reply to john arran:

PDAnet+ allows I think 30mins before disconnecting and only needs a button press to restart. Its v cheap to buy too and ive found it very worth it
 psaunders 27 Mar 2015
In reply to aln:

I pay for tunnelbear (think it's about £2.60/month?) and it works fine for me. What didn't work? I mostly use it for watching / listening to the BBC when I'm abroad.
OP aln 28 Mar 2015
In reply to LittleJoe:

I installed Hola. It does seem to have speeded up browsing. But I'm puzzled by one thing regarding the online anonymity VPN' are supposed to give. Google used via Hola is showing my location as Edinburgh, the closest city to where I live. I realise this isn't exactly leading anyone to my front door, but I thought the idea was my location would be untraceable anywhere in the world.
 mattrm 28 Mar 2015
In reply to aln:

As with all things technical, it's a lot more complex than you'd like. But I bet in this instance you're still signed into google and google knows you live in Edinburgh, so even if you're coming via Timbuktu, you'll still get all the google goodness (creepyness?) thanks to them keeping tabs on your search history.
 Philip 29 Mar 2015
In reply to aln:
Are you on a phone or tablet? Location comes form the device (via GPS / WiFi / IP address, roughly in that order). I use a VPN to access my work network, and location features on my ipad and android phones always report my correct address, but if I were to start Netflix I would get the UK version.

Edit : VPN is not really about privacy when browsing, it's about securing the data between you and the VPN host. If you want privacy you need anonymous browsing (like Chrome's incognito mode), a VPN to a host that won't log what you're browsing.
Post edited at 09:05
 IMA 29 Mar 2015
In reply to aln:

Depending why you want it/how much you are willing to spend etc etc.

Myself and a few others all use https://www.ivpn.net/ and find it very good. Plenty of cheaper alternatives for basic stuff though
 Scarab9 29 Mar 2015
In reply to aln:

just realised i misworded. Pdanet+ is free on trial, and you reset every 30 mins. It's then cheap to buy so that you don't have to reset. Really stable, really easy to set up and use (seconds) and also helps when you have odd compatability issues (like I had where Motorola phones just don't like working with some network adapter makes).
tracyleon 31 Mar 2015
In reply to aln:

If you are looking for android vpn for your smartphone so here i have something good for you... All android users may choose the best vpn from the list these all tools are perfect in performance must go for it.. http://www.vpnranks.com/android-vpn/
 /tmp 02 Apr 2015
In reply to aln:

Run your own? cost about £3 a month you'll have control over it. Plus you can do other nice stuff if you feel like it. dns tunneling, private cloud storage, tor node, doge coin miner, what ever.

https://www.digitalocean.com/?refcode=8888076374b4

(full disclosure that's a referral link coz I use their service.)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...