UKC

Swanage stakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Coley 27 Mar 2015
Hi, the area between Lean Machine and Ocean Boulevard seems to be lacking in stakes. Is this because it is rarely climbed, outside the country park, or am I just blind? Getting up to the fence posts isn't easy in this area as the bushes have few gaps.

Assuming I'm not blind, is it ok for me to put stakes in? I don't have anything to hand like the 5ft poles now used in the Ruckle (and I don't think I'd have the strength of Scott to place them anyhow).

Thanks
 Mick Ward 27 Mar 2015
In reply to David Coley:

Give Marti an email. I can't remember how far we got on the last staking day (t'was all a bit of a blur) but he'll know. And he also knows lots about stakes. If you need a hand to get 'em in, I can come over and help - though compared with Scott and Marti in the strength stakes(!), sadly I don't even begin to compare.

Mick
 Mr p 29 Mar 2015
In reply to David Coley:

I wasn't able to make the last stake bashing day but I have some stakes to give to Marti. They are now using 316 stainless steel 35x1200mm pipe as these will last a lifetime rather than galvy scafolding tube that will not take long to start rusting up in the sea air.......
 Toerag 29 Mar 2015
In reply to Mr p:

> I wasn't able to make the last stake bashing day but I have some stakes to give to Marti. They are now using 316 stainless steel 35x1200mm pipe as these will last a lifetime rather than galvy scafolding tube that will not take long to start rusting up in the sea air.......

It won't make much difference, the 316 will corrode anaerobically where you can't see it.
 Derry 30 Mar 2015
In reply to Mr p:

Out of interest, where can you buy these and how much do they cost?
 Mr p 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Derry:

Being a pipe fitter I don't know how much these would cost as I happened to find some sitting around in the workshop
 Rob Kennard 02 Apr 2015
In reply to Toerag:

Hi,
Just out of interest do you have any comparable data on this- is there no benefit at all in using a higher grade steel? In this marine environment is the effect of aerobic corrosion negligible in comparison?
 Mr p 03 Apr 2015
In reply to Rob Kennard:

Just to put my point of view across, given that I work on ships and the pipe I use is 316 SS and lasts for years getting splashed by the sea and they have 0 rust on them.

The 316 part is the chromium oxide in the steel making this highly rust resistance by keeping the oxygen reacting with the steel part of the metal alloy.

If you ever see rust on stainless steel pipe it will usually be a low grade stainless or it will be by a weld where the metal structure will change and make the surface reduce its chromium structure and causing rust.

This is only what I learnt at collage and what I know from pipework.......
OP David Coley 05 Apr 2015
In reply to Mick Ward:

> Give Marti an email. I can't remember how far we got on the last staking day (t'was all a bit of a blur) but he'll know.

Mick, is that the "Marti" on UKC? As I don't have an email address. Thanks.
 Mick Ward 05 Apr 2015
In reply to David Coley:

Yes, Marti999.

Mick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...