UKC

Crampons in cabin baggage on Easyjet flight

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BusyLizzie 28 Mar 2015
Is this going to be a problem, do you think?

Grateful for any views/experience!
L
 Simon Caldwell 28 Mar 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Yes
Removed User 28 Mar 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Don't even think about it
 Fiona Reid 28 Mar 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I'd be very surprised if you get them through security...
 JayPee630 28 Mar 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Are you serious? No way.
OP BusyLizzie 28 Mar 2015
Thank you all - and I have just found the right bit of Easyjet's Ts and Cs which does indeed say clearly no crampons.

Thank you dearies.
Lxx

gethin_allen 28 Mar 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I couldn't take a pair of nail clippers on board and me friend had a keyring with a whistle on in taken off him (despite there being a whistle on every life jacket under every seat), so the chances of taking crampons on board?
Ian Black 28 Mar 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Why o why o why...
 GridNorth 28 Mar 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

It doesn't matter what the Airline says, it's the security people on the gate who have the final say and they have nothing to do with individual Airlines. A friend of mine had his rope retained but another member of the party got his rope through on a different gate on the same flight. It's a bit of a lottery.
 goose299 28 Mar 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

In can't believe you even asked the question. Sharp point items are always a no no
 Michael Gordon 28 Mar 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

More out of fright in seeing something spiky than for an actual good reason, of course. They'd surely make pretty poor weapon. Axes on the other hand...
 DaveHK 28 Mar 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

In (pre-September) 2001 I flew to the states with crampons and axes in hand luggage. How times have changed.
 planetmarshall 28 Mar 2015
In reply to goose299:

> In can't believe you even asked the question. Sharp point items are always a no no

Unless you're coming back from Geneva with a bag full of knives from the Victorinox shop in the airport.
 goose299 28 Mar 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:

Really? thats fantastic
 Fiona Reid 28 Mar 2015
In reply to goose299:

Yes, really. I bought my Swiss army knife after security in GVA in April 2001 and walked onto the plane with it. I'd be amazed if you can still do this nowadays though!
 planetmarshall 28 Mar 2015
In reply to Fiona Reid:

You can, yes. The Victorinox shop is after airport security, they have some sort of special arrangement - but basically you can buy a knife, stick it in your pocket and walk onto the plane.
 Fiona Reid 28 Mar 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:

I'm going through GVA in 3 weeks.... I shall investigate...
In reply to GridNorth:

> A friend of mine had his rope retained but another member of the party got his rope through on a different gate on the same flight. It's a bit of a lottery.

Was stopped at gunpoint (or, at least, hands on pistols) at Singapore, with a rope in hand luggage. Turns out, they thought it was a bag of snakes.

I was still allowed onto the plane with it, though.
Cody 29 Mar 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

My GF flew to Norway in January with crampons in the carry on. She got through security in Gatwick okay - they just pulled them out for a closer look. Was a no go for the Norwegians though, and she had to check them.
 Jim Fraser 29 Mar 2015
In reply to Ian Black:

> Why o why o why...

If you had been listening at school, would you end up with a jobs in airport security?
Daniel Caola 06 Apr 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Sure if you wear them they won't even notice?
OP BusyLizzie 06 Apr 2015
In reply to Daniel Caola:

Brilliant - I will try that next time!!
 nniff 06 Apr 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Put some black foam rubber inside the teeth and go 'Goth'. That'll work, but it will play havoc with the rest of your security profile - an Emo/Screamo wearing pointy shoes with attitide.....
 Steve John B 24 Apr 2015
In reply to Cody:

> My GF flew to Norway in January with crampons in the carry on. She got through security in Gatwick okay - they just pulled them out for a closer look. Was a no go for the Norwegians though, and she had to check them.

She had Norwegians in her hand luggage...?
 Camm 25 Apr 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I Didn't realise I had a petzl multi hook in my bag when taking it through the scanner, it caused it a bit of a fuss but they Norwegians handled it well and I to👌 it on the plane
 jezb1 25 Apr 2015
In reply to Camm:

I made a school boy error flying out of Norway and had left my knife in my rucksack.

The security guy just smiled, wagged his finger and took it away

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...