UKC

Condolence Cards

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 29 Mar 2015
What do you look for when buying a condolence card? I have to say that I go for something short and simple in the belief that the bereaved do not want line after line after line of schmaltzy verses. I think people just need to know that others are thinking of them and not be subjected to endless made up verse.

I've just had to buy one and thought that many in the shop were really quite tacky with (what I think is) a tasteless trend for cards specifying a particular person like "A dear brother/wife/nephew/niece etc..."

I am sure most people find something like "Thinking of you at your time of loss" is quite sufficient.
 rj_townsend 29 Mar 2015
In reply to mypyrex:
The cards specifying a particular relationship (brother, wife etc) are generally aimed toward areas of the market where the buyer is less likely to have the confidence to put the right form of words together for themselves. They're wanting something "personal" so go down this route, almost to prove that it isn't simpy a card they've hauled out of the drawer. I spent an unfortunate period of my life working for a greetings card manufacturer and condolence cards were some of the most difficult to get right.
Post edited at 12:21
OP mypyrex 29 Mar 2015
In reply to rj_townsend:

Yes, I know what you're saying but I always feel that simplicity is best.
 Chris Murray 29 Mar 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

I find those "left blank for you to insert your own message" cards from places like The National Trust that often depict beautiful wilderness scenes much more appropriate for occasions like this. I've seen cards like this..

http://shop.nationaltrust.org.uk/notecards-landscapes/p6465

for sale in supermarkets/Smiths etc.
OP mypyrex 29 Mar 2015
In reply to Le Chevalier Mal Fet:

Yes, that's another option I sometimes go for.
 felt 29 Mar 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

Yes, unless you write something gauche there's nothing better than firing off a blank. Prewritten cards are really the pits.
 marsbar 29 Mar 2015
In reply to mypyrex:

I look for a calm beautiful picture. I assume that some people do want verses or they wouldn't sell.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...