UKC

Ganglion removal from wrist

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 james.slater 29 Mar 2015
I have a ganglion in my wrist, which is 'sub-retinacular', i.e the bump is only just visible and it is right in amongst the tendons etc. When it flares up it is extremely painful and I cannot move my wrist comfortably at all, and climbing is a definite no go. When its subdued i can climb, write and do everything, except any 'pushing movements', like pushups or opening doors. I am having an MRI scan to assess the thing, and I will likely be offered an operation to remove it, but I am a bit worried about the recovery time etc.

Anyone had one of these removed, and if so what was you recovery like? How much work did you have to put in to get your strength back? And was it worth getting it removed?

Any advice or stories welcomed!

James
 Paul Evans 30 Mar 2015
In reply to james.slater:

Not had one of these ops James, but did have surgery to remove an extra artery (mutant alert!) which was in the same area, right in amongst the tendons. The artery developed a clot. I had carpal tunnel decompression, 26 stitches around wrist and 24 on forefinger - quite a lot of microsurgery. Looking at my diaries, I had the op in early June 2000, it was 7 weeks before I climbed at all, easy diffs at Windgather, and by the end of 3 months I was back leading E1. The surgeon did say that if they'd delayed treatment by 24 hrs they would not have been able to save my left hand, which would have been amputated - so in my case the surgery was definitely worthwhile.
Obviously no op is without risk, so you need to make your own calls.
I told the docs at my followup that I was a climber and I'd be putting a lot of stress on the area, and took their advice as to how and when to restart. Just listened to my body and built up very gradually. Wasn't extra hard work or anything. PM me if you need any more. And good luck.

Paul
 Mike-W-99 30 Mar 2015

I got mine drained by the GP. It didn't really work but I found that massaging it daily after this it gradually shrunk before disappearing completely. It doesn't sound as extreme as yours, it caused me some discomfort when climbing but nothing too bad really.

Dont bother using the bible technique. All you end up with is a sore wrist.

Best of luck.
 eaf4 30 Mar 2015
In reply to prog99:

I used the 'bible technique' (well got someone to hit it with a rolling pin) and it worked fine. never had a problem again. Was pretty sore.

But mine was pretty small I think?
 Clarence 30 Mar 2015

I "bibled" mine, well, I hit it with a wooden tonfa (japanese side handled baton) to make it a bit more macho. Once the swelling and bruising had gone it was only painful for a week or so but I could feel a nagging tightness in the area for about a month. Yours sounds a bit more involved though so I would guess that any problems are likely to be from the incision rather than the actual removal of the ganglion.
 Mike-W-99 30 Mar 2015
In reply to eaf4:
Thanks goodness no-one thought of using a rolling pin at the time! Although a copy of Larousse Gastronomique was heavy enough.
Post edited at 10:54
 Dave Garnett 30 Mar 2015
In reply to Clarence:

> I "bibled" mine, well, I hit it with a wooden tonfa (japanese side handled baton) to make it a bit more macho.

Macho? I developed one a few years back, I think from doing a lot of mantelshelfy bouldering moves. I just climbed through it until it burst.
 Clarence 30 Mar 2015
In reply to Dave Garnett:

I maintain that martial arts weaponry is more macho than a bible or a rolling pin. You should see my technique for removing warts with nunchaku...
OP james.slater 30 Mar 2015

Thanks everyone! I have to say I was not advised to use the bible technique, but apparently it is very effective (just has some potential side effects, like damaging tendons and becoming a good and moral person )

Apparently the sac of jelly stuff can recede but never completely go away and may refill at a later date, which is why surgery is on the cards. The bit I can see is about 4cm across, but the MRI scan will find out the extent.

Paul- That sounds like a horrendous experience, and I feel lucky to only have a ganglion now! Thanks for the advice, hopefully mine will not be as long a recovery, but I think I will take the surgery if offered.
 Dave Garnett 30 Mar 2015
In reply to Clarence:

> I maintain that martial arts weaponry is more macho than a bible or a rolling pin. You should see my technique for removing warts with nunchaku...

You should see my slate rolling pin!
 Fiona Reid 30 Mar 2015
In reply to Clarence:

> I maintain that martial arts weaponry is more macho than a bible or a rolling pin. You should see my technique for removing warts with nunchaku...

Hmmmm, Prog99's was attacked with Larousse (a v. large hardback cookbook). I was only allowed one go as he was yelping so much after the first whack!

When I was 10 I removed a wart with my teeth. My mother was not impressed but it didn't come back.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...