UKC

Mull, stay where?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Climbyclaudie 29 Mar 2015
Off to Mull next week, where is best to stay please, 2 adults, few kids...good hostel? We are looking for something fairly cheap...campsites? Thanks
 london_huddy 29 Mar 2015
In reply to Climbyclaudie:

The campsite at Calgary is free for a couple of nights, there are loos there. The site out at Fionnphort is wonderful but I can't remember the name of it...the beaches around there are stunning. Not stayed in the hostels so can't advise. The cottages let by the Ben More estate are pretty reasonable as well and there are some bargain Air B&Bs too.

felt 29 Mar 2015

Wild camping is permitted in Calgary, which is a lovely bay. The south is more rugged; Lochbuie is worth exploring.
 Gary Latter 29 Mar 2015

Campsite at Fidden is great location, overlooking lovely beach couple miles south of Fionnphort, at west end of Ross of Mull. Showers & toilets/hot water. Lots great climbing nearby, on amazing variety of rock types - granite, schist, Lewisian gneiss, or even dolerite (if you like gardening!).
 Bulls Crack 29 Mar 2015
Climbyclaudie 30 Mar 2015

Perfect, lovely people, I shall stay in the comfy hostel while my friend Knut wild camps at Calgary as he feels a place to stay while on holiday is a luxury, (it is my belief that growing up in Norway was harsher than a Dickens novel is this right?) , thankyou so much for info...if there is anything unmissable to do in Scottish isles do tell me...so far have found caves and a whirlpool, so excited
 Colin Moody 30 Mar 2015

> I shall stay in the comfy hostel while my friend Knut wild camps at Calgary. if there is anything unmissable to do in Scottish isles do tell me...so far have found caves and a whirlpool, so excited

There is a bunkhouse at Dervaig which is not far from Calgary. Search for 'Dervaig bunkhouse'.

Lots of coastal walks, Carsaig Arches takes a while, MacKinnon's Cave ( at low tide) is a much shorter walk.

Boat trip to Staffa and Lunga is a good day out especially when the puffins are around http://www.colinmoody.com/Site/Staffa.html#26 .
 digby 30 Mar 2015

Fidden Farm sounds fantastic. But if you want to be closer to a 'town' or the north end of the island the Tobermory campsite just outside Tobermory is cheap and perfectly nice http://www.tobermory-campsite.co.uk/
I was there in May and the birds in the little garden around the place where you pay were memorable! I can also vouch for the prettiness of Calgary bay. No showers but if the weather is warm there is a river to have a dip in.
 nathan79 30 Mar 2015

Unmissable? The whisky! Don't be forgetting a distillery tour.
In reply to nathan79:

I agree. Fidden is an amazing campsite. This picture was my spot for the night

http://gwilymstarks.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/wet-and-high-on-mull.html

and a bargain price

Colin and digby and everyone, wonderful, the birds, Staffa, and of course the Whiskey, to be drunk on the rocks after a wild swim..thankyou for ideas!!!! I am also taking the boat from Anglesey to Ireland...time to see the land I came from! Never been....what should I be doing while there people?
I am in search of wildness and adventure while my friend seeks chaps who look like Aiden Turner....I need more plans of things to do in Ireland please
 Jamie B 31 Mar 2015

If your principle agenda is climbing, Fidden wins.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...