UKC

Digital Maps for the Alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BStar 29 Mar 2015
I was wondering if anyone could share any advice on digital maps for the alps. I am quite fond of digital mapping and use Memory Map for most things UK and France. I have been buying paper maps, scanning them into MM and then calibrating them for use with the planning stages and GPS while away, and although I have done this to reasonable success, scanning maps that size is not easy and the scan quality isn't always that great. Are there any other reasonable options for digital mapping of the Alps? Has anyone tried the digital Kompass maps?
 twoplates 29 Mar 2015
In reply to BStar:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.GPSTracks&hl=en

You can download the whole of Switzerland for offline use at 1:25000

Only a hill 30 Mar 2015
In reply to BStar:

ViewRanger works for me.
 wout 30 Mar 2015
In reply to BStar:

alpenvereinaktiv app
 inboard 30 Mar 2015
In reply to BStar:

There's good apps using official topographic survey data of both Austria & Switzerland. Links at the developer's page: http://www.garzotto.ch/gmbh/produkte_de.html
OP BStar 30 Mar 2015
In reply to BStar:

Thanks for the replies, I'll take a look at them all. I was after something for a desktop PC really rather than an app. I quite like memory map for being able to save, export etc etc as well as being full screen with the option to put on my phone if needed.

I've ordered the Kompass Austria DVD which has all of the 1:50k maps of austria on it (I think) for just £35 on amazon. I'll report back on how I get on with that particular one when it comes.
 Inchewan 30 Mar 2015
In reply to BStar:

If you are using a Garmin GPS and have the free BaseCamp software on your PC, the best source of free digital mapping that I have found is www.freizeitkarte.osm.de This is open source, from open street map.
I have the whole region map of the whole Alps on one micro SD card. I also have lots of other single country maps on micro SD cards. Good for MTB specific maps as well. All free downloads. Brill.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...