UKC

Canon G16 or S120

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom F Harding 29 Mar 2015

Hi Everyone

I'm after a new compact camera as mine died the, what seems standard, lens jamming way. I would love to carry my DSLR with me on all my adventures but its just a pain. As such I'm in the market for a 'premium' compact. At the moment you can get a good price on a G16 (£250) or a S120 (£190) and these seem like good options. They have the same sensor and many other things in common so the question is - is it worth paying out and then carting about a bit more for the G16? Image quality is a reasonably high priority for me but it also has to be practical for climbing trips.

Also does anyone know if you can sqeeze the G16 into a lowe pro Apex 20AW (http://www.lowepro.co.uk/shop-by-device-compact-camera/apex-20-aw_ct328pd18... case as it would be nice to not have to buy a new one.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Post edited at 21:14
 Colin Wells 29 Mar 2015
In reply to Tom F Harding:

I don't have an S120 but I do use an S95 (which is not a million miles away) and a G16. Both are excellent with pretty good lenses and excellent IQ for the size of the sensors and I suspect you won't be disappointed with either.

The choice really comes down to preference in handling. For general/travel photography, the larger size of the body and controls, plus the grip on the G16 makes it less fiddley to operate in a hurry.

In terms of a pure climbing camera, however, the more compact size of the S-series is more practical - just tuck it down your jacket and forget about it while climbing until you need it. Although it's certainly worth adding a custom grip (such as those made by Richard Franiac). I can't speak for the S120 (which I understand has a more 'grippy' body), but up to the S95 at least, without a grip added it felt like holding a bar of soap.

The G16 isn't so big that it feels massively obtrusive when climbing, and you can certainly live with it, but the tiny size and weight of the S-Series camera makes it feel almost invisible when you are climbing with it slung round your neck.

So it all comes down to what your priority use is likely to be I think. If you feel it's going to spend most of its time on the crag, I'd incline towards the smaller camera. However, if you want a more versatile high quality compact for travel/general use, which can still be used as an acceptably compact climbing camera, then the G16 should fit the bill nicely.

That's my pennor'th anyroad, for what it's worth. Look forward to hearing what other folk reckon.

Col

aldo56 30 Mar 2015
In reply to Colin Wells:
I used to have a g12 and sold it for an s series camera as I found the g12 too bulky to climb with. The g12 is a great camera otherwise though.
Post edited at 08:24
 kevin stephens 30 Mar 2015
In reply to Tom F Harding: the essential benefit of the G16 (for me at least) is the optical viewfinder with diopter adjustment, great when sun is to bright for the screen or if you would otherwise need reading glasses to use the screen

OP Tom F Harding 30 Mar 2015

Thanks for the replies everyone - It's looking like the S120 is nosing ahead slightly. I've had a good look at sample images but is there any real difference in there image quality. How does the S120 cope in low light?

Also still intrested to know if you can squeeze the G16 into a lowe pro Apex 20AW (http://www.lowepro.co.uk/shop-by-device-compact-camera/apex-20-aw_ct328pd18... case as it would be nice to not have to buy a new one.
 TAG_UTLEY 30 Mar 2015

Where on earth have you seen a G16 for £250?

I can't really help with the comparison but I use a G16 and find it brilliant for climbing with. The size is just right for me, I can use all the control with gloves on and it's a durable piece of kit.
 Morgan Woods 30 Mar 2015

I just bought a G16 and a lowe classified 30:

http://www.digitaltoyshop.co.uk/uploads/images_specification/anuncios/image...

which fits fine.....I wouldn't want it any smaller.....only downside is it doesn't have any room for accessories. I mainly got the G16 to take photos with a wireless remote, otherwise I would probably get something a bit smaller.
In reply to TAG_UTLEY:

The price surprised me as well, three sources below but there are quite a few more around that sort of price.

£225 - Value Basket
http://www.valuebasket.com/en_GB/Canon-Powershot-G16-Digital-Camera/mainpro...

£259 - slr hut
http://slrhut.co.uk/product/ID1437C4/google?mkwid=OGoEO6NQ&pcrid=401413...

£220 - Simply electronics
http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=23140&setcurrency=...
 TobyA 30 Mar 2015

I've got an S110 and had it for a bit over a year now. I'm a bit disappointed with it in some ways. Firstly, the flash has failed, in that it won't pop up anymore. Flashes on compacts aren't every brilliant anyway and I bought the camera for outdoor use mainly so it is not the end of the world, but I hear that if I return it to Canon the fixing cost isn't so much less than a new camera! Secondly the battery life is rubbish and it is really affected by cold. You have to keep it inside your jacket in winter or the battery just dies. Never had that problem with Nikon DSLR batteries even in much colder conditions nor on my old compact, a little Lumix which wasn't as fancy as the Canon.

I've taken some pics I really like with it and credit is more with the camera than with my point and shoot skills! http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bLgaeT2N-NY/UqRRAkac7qI/AAAAAAAAG5g/BWeM9SQGD-A/s... or http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-pbrdgqZGrXU/UqRRKskxT-I/AAAAAAAAG5w/zXd5Nv4etes/s... (or just see them all from that trip here http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/an-early-winter-bikepack.ht... -click to explaind)
Or have a look at the close up shots in this post http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/bikepacking-new-bags-new-ca... I was experimenting with it new then, so seeing what it could do. But the camera isn't that miraculous, my much older cheap end Nikon DLSR on fully auto flatters the photographer of limited skill more!

And if anyone else has had the flash problem with an S-series canon I'd be interested to hear.

I don't have an S120, but I had an S100. It was very good until it broke, unexpectedly, on day at Gardoms.

I've now got a Sony RX100 (mk 1) the images quality it much much higher. Plus the batteries last a lot longer.

I have previousally had a Nixon P7000 (which is a similar size to a Canon G series) and found it too big to use climbing.

Get an RX100. It's a no brainer in my view.

alastairbegley 30 Mar 2015
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:
> Get an RX100. It's a no brainer in my view.

+1.
The original RX100 can be had for pretty reasonable money these days and is a brilliant camera, the 1" sensor really makes it stand out above the other high end compacts and it really is pocketable.
I have just replaced mine (although not with another RX100) as it is starting to die, but frankly I am surprised that it lasted this long given some of the abuse it has taken.

Tom, if you want to you can borrow my RX100 for a few weeks to see how you get on with it.
Post edited at 12:36
 Robert Durran 30 Mar 2015

Indeed.................unless the lack of a viewfinder is a dealbreaker.

They do look good and you can also get the mark 1 for about £240 at the moment which seems pretty good. They do look a bit delicate and fiddly though - is that the case?
In reply to alastairbegley:

Hi Al, fancy seeing you here. Is yours the mark 1 then, I do like your photos but did you miss having a few more of the features you find on an SLR (exposure compensation etc.)? Out of interest what's packing up on yours?
 Robert Durran 30 Mar 2015

> They do look good and you can also get the mark 1 for about £240 at the moment which seems pretty good. They do look a bit delicate and fiddly though - is that the case?

You might be pushed to do all that much more than point and shoot while belaying. However, exposure compensation is ok using the dial on the back of the camera and the ring round the lens can be programmed to do something of your choice (I have mine on ISO).

alastairbegley 30 Mar 2015

yea mine is a Mk1. My camera progression went SLR -> GX1 -> RX100, so I slowly got used to smaller cameras. It has all of the control of an SLR (it does have exposure compensation), just it is slightly harder to change them, especially in thick gloves. The main thing I missed was auto ISO with a controlable min shutter speed, as I often forget to change the ISO (normally shoot in Av and fixed ISO to ensure a high enough shutter speed).

I could change most things I wanted in thick gloves, but it was a bit of a pain at times. My main issue I found was accidently starting to record a movie.

Mine is randomly powering down while it is on, which sometimes results in losing a photo I have taken, and the charger port is loose which means it can be a pain to get it to charge. I suspect the former problem is due to a combination of getting very wet in winter and having dropped onto rock/into puddles a fair few times when belaying took priority over taking photos.

I have now gone back a bit bigger and have an LX100 which should be a bit easier to control.
In reply to alastairbegley:

LX100 looks great, I look forward to seeing the results on your blog. Slightly out of my price range unfortunately. Bet it doesn't fit in your lowepro case as well. Decisions decisions..
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 30 Mar 2015

I've no experience with the S120 but my Canon G12 started my love for photography and I still use it as a backup camera when I can't be bothered to take my SLR. It's chunky but still very pocketable whilst climbing and I believe the G16 is smaller. As others have suggested suspect you can't go wrong with either!
 ChrisJD 30 Mar 2015

If you like Canon, what about the Canon G7 X: much more expensive than S120, but with larger 1" sensor in S120 size body.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-canon-powershot-g7-x-digital-camera/p156...
Zoro 30 Mar 2015
I bought a G16 for exactly the same reasons, and I've never looked back. The G16 is just great full stop!
The IQ is superb, it feels good to hold, with a nice weight, and grip. Just buy one you will not be disappointed!

I went to a Johnlewis store and had a really good look, and then bought it online.
Post edited at 21:56
 Damo 31 Mar 2015

Maybe I'm just clumsy and weak, but I find it important for an actual climbing camera to be able to shoot it one-handed, while belaying, hanging on etc. You can't do this with a camera with a lens cap, like the LX100, and that is what put me off the old LX3-LX7 cams, despite their quality.

I have an S100 and like TobyA, find the cold-weather performance not good, battery-wise. I alsl find it struggles to auto-focus in some situations and hunts too much. From the S100 onwards, they used a matte finish on the body, and a small rib on the front, which made it easier to hold and so I never bought a Franiec grip, though I had originally intended to. I don't find it a problem, though I do keep the camera on a cord around my neck when climbing, so I can't really drop it.

I always liked the look and feel of the G9-G16 cams, I liked the handling, the viewfinder and the dials, but it was just a tad big for wearability, and I already had a DSLR for general stuff, so could never justify one over an S100 etc.

From the first moment the RX100 came out, it was clear that its images were way beyond the quality of any other compact cam, and it still seems the same with the MkIII. Not sure I could use one with gloves on though.
 TAG_UTLEY 31 Mar 2015

Thank you so much for those links! Looks like a new camera will be winging its way to me shortly!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...