UKC

DIGITAL FEATURE: Starlight and Storm: Alison Hargreaves and Tom Ballard

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 30 Mar 2015
Alison Hargreaves, 4 kbTwenty years after her death on K2, Alison Hargreaves' story continues with her son, Tom Ballard.

In this new Digital Feature, Jack Geldard and Nick Brown explore the life and tragic death of Alison and how her achievements have influenced her son, Tom.

With stunning, historical images and exclusive video, this feature captures the experiences of Alison and Tom in an absorbing and aesthetic style. Read more...

chris m fisher 30 Mar 2015
In reply to UKC Articles:

Probably the most thought provoking article I've read on UKC and a great insight.

Cheers
 Ramon Marin 30 Mar 2015
Fantastic article! I had the rare opportunity to share rope with Tom a couple times, he's a sound guy and really talented climber. Jim and Tom's set up is certainly unorthodox, but it seems to work for them and they are both really nice chaps. I was very impressed by Tom's talent and was surprised that no one knew about it. I'm glad that finally he's come out and made his achievements public as I really enjoy reading about true adventures like that and people trying to live a different style of life. best luck Tom!
Post edited at 17:12
 Mick Ward 30 Mar 2015

Utterly brilliant. The best thing ever on here. Congratulations to all involved.

Mick
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 30 Mar 2015

Superb article, really enjoyed that. Liking the new format as well, really brings the photos to life.
 williap 30 Mar 2015

Fascinating to watch/read, and whilst on the one occasion I felt that the voice-over was too much, on others I was blown away by how impactful it was (such as the letter reading).

As a young climber of a similar age to Tom, to see such achievements inspires me, and leaves me with for more questions than answers. I hope we hear more from Tom and more articles in this style
 John Cuthbert 30 Mar 2015

A stunning, moving editorial of sensitvity, depth, and ambition. well done, Jack
 SteveSBlake 30 Mar 2015

A great article! Quite a tale. I remember clearly the sniping that occurred when his mum died. In this Tom's character comes through - though it almost feels like an intrusion. He has such a thoroughly understated approach to what he is doing, which is quite something. I hope he handles the subsequent attention he's going to get with the same aplomb he dispatches the routes.

While financial rewards don't seem to feature, it would be nice to think he and his dad might not be living out of a van and tent for too much longer. (Though they seem quite content.)

Good luck to them both,

And well done Jack and Nick.

Regards,

Steve

Jayhigh 30 Mar 2015

Fantastic 'feature'. Really interesting look at someone I'm sure we will hear more of in the future.

I'm sure it took a lot of work - thank you.
 rodkirkwood 31 Mar 2015

Great article .

I remember Tom well from our trip to Everest in October 1994 when he walked in to base camp with Alison , Jim and his sister, Katie . Whilst Katie was carried some of the way , Tom ( age 5 ) walked all the way to base camp and spent 7 weeks at base camp being looked after by Jim.

Ours was a medical expedition and a paediatrician commented the oft used phrase " show me the boy at 7 and I'll show you the man " meaning characteristics are formed early in life . Tom , as a child , was tough , resilient , hardy and good fun and I never heard him complain of BC life .

Charlie Hornsby and I spent a lot of time high on Everest with Alison as our expeditions co-existed though ours was Sherpa supported and Alison was solo/ independent . We shared tents on the south col on the night October 10th when Alison recognised conditions weren't suitable for an O2 free ascent . Charlie and I sumitted on the 11th with Sherpas , Dawa and Dorje and returned to meet Alison on the south col . Despite her own lack of success she was happy for us , helped us recover ,seemed to be in good physical shape but descended to BC next day with us as weather deteriorating .

The only negative comments came from Jim who seemed acutely aware of the implications of Alison's lack of success . To be fair , Jim had spent 2 months supporting the family unit and keeping Tom and Katie busy and stimulated at BC .

My lasting impression of Alison is off a passionate driven climber but at the same time a caring mother who never seemed to have reconciled that balance .

Of Tom - a kid with a bundle of energy and a lot of "go " - given the close family relationship I am not surprised at the area he has chosen to channel it .

Damo 31 Mar 2015

Nice job, thanks for making the effort to put this together. Good to see the use of a new format, and one that suits the subject. I didn't realise the Slater images even existed.

I remember the hype and commentary at the time, 1993-95, issues that have never really been resolved - mothers climbing, control, sexism, ambition, media, risk.

I was in Pakistan in '95 and remember clear as day some British climbers telling me the news. I also recall not being entirely surprised, as terrible as that is.

I wish only the best for Tom on his own journey.
 BALD EAGLE 31 Mar 2015

A superb article so congrats to Jack and Nick for putting it together and maa-hoosive respect + congrats to Tom on his amazing achievement. Wishing Tom a long lifetime of many more outstanding climbing adventures!
Cheers Dave
 telemarker 31 Mar 2015

I don't normally comment on articles but it was the best I head read on here. Thanks for that!

A superb article and a great new format. More of these please.
 ed woods 31 Mar 2015

What a great piece. Excellent writing, especially the ending.
abseil 31 Mar 2015

Great article, thanks a lot. Alison, RIP, you were great.
 MaxR 31 Mar 2015
In reply to ed woods:

I agree. I love the new format, it really adds to the content of the article
 Tom Redmond 01 Apr 2015

don't normally reply on here, but what an outstanding article!!
 Phil Murray 02 Apr 2015

Fantastic article, stunning subject, great format - thanks Jack et al, much appreciated!!! Hope you enjoyed your experience over there with the Ballards as well.....

Phil
 Exiled 02 Apr 2015

Not working on old ipad 1
 Fredt 02 Apr 2015
I enjoyed reading that, thank you.

I was puzzled that there was no reference to the choice of title. I was expecting at some point in the item reference would be made to the fact that 'Starlight and Storm' is the title of Gaston Rebuffats classic book about ... climbing the six Alpine north faces.

But no mention of this that I could see. Isn't that a little cheeky?

If I missed the reference, apologies.
Post edited at 20:43
In reply to Fredt:

Hi Fred,

Glad you enjoyed it, and thank you to everyone else for the kind words.

The reference to Gaston Rebuffat's book is in the second video.

Nick
 Fredt 02 Apr 2015
In reply to NJBrown:

My humble apologies, I missed that second video, and now I've seen that it makes the whole thing pretty brilliant.
 tdan0504 03 Apr 2015

All of us who ever met or knew Alison will agree, this is a fantastic tribute.
 LeeWood 14 Apr 2015
In reply to Jim Hamilton:

Spicy even. Nice you posted something to read as the digital feature doesn't work on my olderAppleMac. Is there a special plugin required or does it use flash ??
 Euge 17 Apr 2015

Brilliant... loved that.
She was incredible.

Euge
 Bobling 20 Apr 2015

Finally got round to watching this - thought provoking, inspiring, revealing, compelling. More please!
 Babika 22 Apr 2015

Brilliant article - and so overdue. Alison Hargreaves was an inspirational climbing legend and precious little has been written about her in the last 19 years. Sensitive, awe inspiring and tackles some of the difficult questions.

The last section is particularly poignant.

mike123 25 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC Articles: not working on newish iPad , starts with a cracking picture (jorasse ?) then crashes.

jezb1 10 May 2015

That was a really good piece. Good effort to all involved.
 HP 19 May 2015

Great piece. I was captivated by the sights, sounds, stories. Excellent balance between the highs and lows.
Cannolo 12 Jun 2015
Really enjoyed this, moving and thoughtful. Thanks UKC.

Really loving these digital features, totally immersive. Congrats to all involved, I'm sure it's a lot of work.
 Jon de Leyser 28 Aug 2015

Beautiful and very affecting.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...