UKC

Using Nikwax Wash-in as a spray-on?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 neuromancer 30 Mar 2015
I got a load of tx direct wash in cheap on eBay, but some of my kit has wicking linings.

Can you just pour the wash in stuff into a spray bottle and apply it to wet clothes (then dry) as normal?
m0unt41n 30 Mar 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

I asked Paramo whether you can use Direct TX Wash In since the Paramo system relies on a wicking lining to "pump" the sweat away and I always thought washing with the proofer would coat the inside and stop it pumping since it should bead instead.

They said you can wash with a detergent or dry clean if dirty and wets out, then Wash with Nikwax Wash and then Reproof:

"Iā€™d suggest that you can use a non-biological detergent to wash the jackets or have them dry cleaned ā€“ but after doing either of these options you will then need to re-proof in the usual manner with Tech Wash and TX Direct Wash-In."

Tried it but no matter what always end up with damp / wet chest and arms because it doesn't seem to breath.
The only thing that works is a new one, whether Goretex or Paramo, and over time the DWR wears out and TX Wash In might bring back beading but also greatly reduces breathability.

Maybe buying really cheap more often is better.

Kirsticles 30 Mar 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

Yes you can.
 Sharp 30 Mar 2015
In reply to neuromancer:

Exactly the same stuff, we were told by nikwax to sell the spray as wash in if we ran out of wash in.

mountain - Regarding paramo, the liner is pump action not wicking so you need to wash the proofer in or it won't work - water is meant to travel along the fibres not wick through it, for it to work the fabric in the liner needs to be exposed to tx direct as well I.e. wash in. I'm not a fan on paramo personally but the one thing I'll concede is that work just the same after 10 years as long as you wash and proof properly.
OP neuromancer 30 Mar 2015
In reply to Sharp:

Top news, cheers mate

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...