UKC

Gower Sport climbing - Easter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SFrancis 30 Mar 2015
Hi,

Planning on heading down to the Gower for some sport climbing over Easter weekend weather permitting.

Was planning on visiting several crags to get some mileage in, including shipwreck cove, watchhouse, pwdlldu bay, barland quarry, looking for routes from 5-7a+.

Was wondering what the current conditions are like, whether they suffer from much seepage, and if they are likely to dry out if we have rain this week.

Cheers all

MikeSP 30 Mar 2015
In reply to SFrancis:

Pwll Du will probably still be covered in mud so I wouldn't bother, it's a long walk in so don't think it will be worth going to have a look if your only around for a few days.
Shipwreck could go either way depending on how much rain there is this week.
Southgate area (Foxhole, watch house, Bowen etc.) and Barland should be dry.
If you go to Barland remember, don't park on the gravel bit outside the quarry or the guy who manages it will see you car and ask you to move on, ,I park at the pub (and buy a pint when finished)
I find the the trad crags dry quicker so it may be worth taking gear.

Not sure if you know about this:
http://www.southwalesmountaineering.org.uk/wiki/Gower
But it could be useful.
 gethin_allen 30 Mar 2015
In reply to SFrancis:

The weather is due to piss it down for a good chunk of this week so do somewhere that doesn't suffer from seepage.
OP SFrancis 01 Apr 2015
In reply to SFrancis:

Cheers for the replies.

Website link very helpful.

As Gethin says it is going to rain all week, but met office suggests it may let up for the weekend. Can anyone point me in the direction of crags around the Gower or Swansea that don't suffer from seepage, or dry out after a week of rain. I can chuck the rack in the car if needs be.

Was thinking of stopping in Neath Abbey Quarry on the way check out the bouldering, same questions.

Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...