UKC

Best guidebook for climbing near Harrogate?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 seabrook 30 Mar 2015
Hey all, friend of mine is off to Harrogate shortly, I want to get a guidebook as a leaving/bday present.

I don't know that part of the world very well - which of these two books is best for climbing out of Harrogate?

Or is there a better book?

Much obliged

http://www.theymc.org.uk/guide-books/ - Yorkshire Gritstone Vols 1&2

Vol 1:
•Almscliff
•Caley and The Chevin
•Brimham and outlying crags
•Great Wolfrey to Eavestone
•Barden Fell to Hunter’s Stones – including Simon’s Seat
•The Slipstones Area
•Hetchell and outlying crags

Vol 2:
Chapter 1 – Ilkley: Cow & Calf Rocks, Rocky Valley, Windgate Nick, Swastika Stones. Chapter 2 - Barden Moor: Crookrise, Rylstone, Eastby, Deer Gallows, Rolling Gate, Fairies Chest, Embsay, Halton Heights, Shelter Cliff, Crookstones.
Chapter 3 – Widdop & the Calderdale Crags: Widdop, Heptonstall, Gorple, Scout, Clattering Stones, Dovestones, Scout Hut, Blake Dean, Mytholm, Horsehold Scout, Hawk Stones, Bridestones, Robin Hood Rocks, Ogden Clough.
Chapter 4 – Earl Crag & Surrounding Area: Earl Crag, Hawkcliffe, The Hitching Stone, Farnhill Quarry, White Crag.
Chapter 5 – Shipley Glen & Baildon Bank: Shipley Glen, Baildon Bank, Gilstead, Eldwick.
Chapter 6 – Woodhouse Scar & Kirklees Crags: Woodhouse Scar, West Vale, Holmfirth Edge, Honley Quarry, Buckstones Edge, Darby Delph. Chapter 7: Pen-y-ghent, Sharphaw. Minor climbing venues within each area are also described.

db79 30 Mar 2015
In reply to mynameistristan:
Volume 1 is more around the Harrogate area, Volume 2 is more south and west of it.
Post edited at 15:10
 lummox 30 Mar 2015
In reply to mynameistristan:

Their nearest " major" crag will be Almscliffe, with Caley and Brimham close by as well so Vol 1 might be the better choice. Both volumes are beautifully put together and should inspire them.
OP seabrook 30 Mar 2015
In reply to lummox:

Brilliant, thanks guys!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...