UKC

The mental health hobby horse

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Left the forums 30 Mar 2015

Is the term;

'the mental health hobby horse'

a put down/derogatory etc. or is it a valid view.

To me it seems like a put down and a term that promotes being quiet about mental health.

I'm interested in other peoples views. I don't think the person who used the term meant any harm so don't go off and attack him/her.
Post edited at 20:34
Clauso 30 Mar 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

It's political correctness gone mad...
Left the forums 30 Mar 2015
In reply to Clauso:

I think I understand...
 marsbar 30 Mar 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:

I've been accused of banging the drum this week. I think both are patronising but then I would.
In reply to Andy 976853:

I'd prefer to use the phrase 'the mental health minature pony'

I know this runs the risk of getting told off by someone for belittling small horses but what can you do. As me Dad always says well you might as well enjoy it.
Post edited at 22:06
 Timmd 30 Mar 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:
Personally, I think it's a phrase which means nothing in itself, and suggests somebody probably has an unspoken negative agenda or point of view about something to do with mental health, either the people who say it's worth taking notice of, or anybody who might suffer from mental health problems.

I think I'd have a few questions to ask anybody who said something like that, in wanting to know what they mean and why.
Post edited at 23:11
 The Lemming 30 Mar 2015
In reply to Andy 976853:
> 'the mental health hobby horse'

> a put down/derogatory etc. or is it a valid view.

I've never heard this phrase before, either at work or in my social life.

But I am confused, in what way could this be construed as a put down or derogatory?

Is it something along the lines such as when an individual pulls the 'Racist Card' to accuse somebody arbitrarily of being racist to end a discussion that they are not comfortable with?

For me the phrase 'hobby horse' suggests somebody's pet project. And if they tag it along with something else, then that is their new cause to champion. It just depends on what perspective or side of the fence that they sit on as to choose if they are being empathetic or derogatory.

It, for me, boils down to context.
Post edited at 23:20
 Roadrunner2 30 Mar 2015
In reply to The Lemming:
I just take it as people jumping on a band wagon... achieving nothing.. a pointless endeavor

I'd never heard it either.

Which I don't think it is. We are slowly slowly making in roads into stigma and also how we flag up suicides and get help.

I know of a student who's room mate attempted suicide last year, which was the flagged up for this student. Suicides can occur in linked sequences within areas. Like South Wales. So that set off a series of actions to keep an eye on the student, removing stress, access to counselors, others kept in the know, coaches, tutors etc. That wouldn't have happened 5-10 years ago.
Post edited at 23:51

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...