UKC

Dodgy Accounting Question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Baron Weasel 31 Mar 2015
Just been made redundant from my job for a small brewery. I had only been there 7 monthes and basically got told to piss off with a weeks notice. During my time there it was obvious that the owners were doing dodgy things with the accounts - the ins and outs of which I doubt I will ever fully understand.

The bit of iffy accounting that concerns me though is that we have spoken to the family tax credit people and to HMRC and they have had totally different figures for my earning to what my payslips show and they think I earned about £700 more than I did. This has the knock on effect that our family tax credit has been reduced from what we were expecting. Receiving payslips from the company was always a hit and miss affair and I had to chase getting a duplicate of all of my payslips (except the last one - which is still pending). 3 weeks after leaving I still have not had my P45 or final payslip and the company are being very aloof about getting this to me, despite the fact that they have submitted final figure to HMRC.

Has anyone got any experience of a situation like this? HMRC say that it is up to me to go back to my previous employers to get correct figures submitted, although they are meant to be sending me a breakdown of what has been sent to them... which if I ever get my final payslip and P45 I can use to compare against. I tried calling ACAS, who say it is not something they can help with, so where do I turn?
 elsewhere 31 Mar 2015
In reply to Baron Weasel:
Assuming they paid you electronically then your bank statements will confirm to HMRC etc what they actually paid you even if the company's record keeping is wonky.

Presumably you will have a P60 due around about now, it is a legal requirement for these to be given out
 Bob 31 Mar 2015

I had something similar to you. I worked as a contractor in the construction industry and was paid net, that is with no personal allowance taken account of and I'd claim the difference back at the end of the year. So on £400pw gross, I'd actually get £300. What then happened was that I got paid the £300 but the guy told HRMC that this was my gross pay so at the end of the year HRMC asked for their money.

It took two years to sort out.

Not a lot of help I know, but keep pestering and HRMC will eventually get round to looking at it.
 Rob Exile Ward 31 Mar 2015

HMRC can be a PIA to deal with or sometimes they can be sweet reason itself.
It is, in fact, their problem, and it's not very hard to understand: there is a thing called RTI now which means that HMRC have been informed in real time what you were supposed to have been paid and what tax etc has been deducted. If what they reported is different from what you received then this is not 'iffy tax' it is fraud. (Probably committed in circumstances of extreme stress but sitll, you shouldn't be bearing the consequences and they shouldn't have done it.)

This is an HMRC/police matter. Speak to HMRC, say you believe fraud has been committed, and ask who to report it to. It is THEIR problem. Always ask for a reference to the call and the name of the person you are speaking to,

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...