UKC

more idiotic driver v cyclist action

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gethin_allen 31 Mar 2015
Any one else seen this:-
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1602226240063787

You probably need to be on facebook to see it and I've no idea how to link to it any other way sorry.

For those unable to see the video, it's of a load of fools leaning out of a moving car and pushing a cyclist off his bike as he rides along.

Any idea how to get these fools off the road or who to report this to?
 Neil Williams 31 Mar 2015
In reply to gethin_allen:

The Police would be a start. People have been prosecuted from this kind of evidence.

Neil
 The New NickB 31 Mar 2015

Send the link to the Met. The little prick lives in London.
 Chris the Tall 31 Mar 2015

It appears to be public for now - with an astonishing 5000+ likes

I expect it will go viral, the culprits will be tracked down and then complain about a witchhunt against them.
 Timmd 31 Mar 2015

I have, it's shocking.
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> It appears to be public for now - with an astonishing 5000+ likes

Amazing how many idiots there are out there........................................

Facebook are refusing to remove the video from the site when reported as depicting violence as it doesn't violate their "community standards". Even though their standards include: "We remove content, disable accounts and work with law enforcement when we believe that there is a genuine risk of physical harm or direct threats to public safety." and "We don’t tolerate bullying or harassment".

It may help if as many people as possible report this video to facebook, as well as to the police.
KevinD 31 Mar 2015

> It appears to be public for now - with an astonishing 5000+ likes

hopefully a few of them will be from cops who like having their job made easier.
I've had my arse slapped in the past, whilst cycling along minding my own business. And not in a cheeky way.

But I'm sure the cyclist in question must have run a red light, or ridden on a pavement at some time, so it's all okay, isn't it?
Post edited at 18:07
 Bob Hughes 31 Mar 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:

well he doesn't pay road tax
 wintertree 31 Mar 2015

> But I'm sure the cyclist in question must have run a red light, or ridden on a pavement at some time, so it's all okay, isn't it?

It's interesting that this kind of line is often trotted out on some discussions in an ironic way, and ZERO contributors say it seriously. It's almost as if the people who mention such things on some other threads are actually capable of making rational, evidence based decisions, and it's just that their set-point on reaching a decision is different to yours, and that it isn't actually the case that some people rabidly blame the cyclist regardless.

Whilst I've got my pedant hat on, OP - it's more "idiotic passenger vs cyclist action" although I believe that both the driver and passenger can face prosecution over this, and I hope that they do.
Post edited at 18:26
In reply to Bob Hughes:

> well he doesn't pay road tax

Good point. I'd forgotten that.
In reply to wintertree:

> It's interesting that this kind of line is often trotted out on some discussions in an ironic way, and ZERO contributors say it seriously.

There were some pretty strong suggestions that this sort of thinking may have been in the minds of the jury here:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=611997&v=1

And I think a number of the comments come pretty close; despite the fact that red light jumping had nothing to do with the case in question, it still featured heavily in the discussion.
OP gethin_allen 31 Mar 2015
In reply to wintertree:

> Whilst I've got my pedant hat on, OP - it's more "idiotic passenger vs cyclist action" although I believe that both the driver and passenger can face prosecution over this, and I hope that they do.

Well the passenger wouldn't have much chance of the driver didn't get close up to the cyclists.

I'm quite sure the driver is normally held responsible.

Shani 31 Mar 2015
In reply to wintertree:
The driver slows down and positions the car in arm length for the push. He is definitely part of the offence.

The accents sound Irish to me but the speed limit sign looks British. NI?
Post edited at 19:03
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

If we want the culprits found and duly charged, it would be better that it stayed for long enough for the Police to get details.

Neil
> I'm quite sure the driver is normally held responsible.

I'd say the passenger is guilty of assault (possibly ABH), and the driver probably of dangerous driving (as to be close enough to a cyclist to do that at arm's reach is to be *way* too close, and deliberately so as well).

Neil
Post edited at 19:15
 Ramblin dave 31 Mar 2015
In reply to wintertree:

> It's interesting that this kind of line is often trotted out on some discussions in an ironic way, and ZERO contributors say it seriously.

Yes, what we actually get is more like a lot of people saying how of course they aren't blaming the victim but as cyclists shouldn't we be thinking about whether there's anything we can do to avoid this sort of incident, and maybe if they had identified "car somewhere in my vicinity" as a potential source of risk and got off their bike as soon as they heard it coming then the whole thing wouldn't have happened...
 Dave the Rave 31 Mar 2015
In reply to Ramblin dave:
I tend to agree. The sooner mirrors are made compulsory on bikes the better. Mine has saved me from numerous collisions.
 Billhook 31 Mar 2015

The vehicle was uk registered - one of the idiot's other videos shows him driving his new car!. The accents are from the Republic of Ireland, and their names Irish are Irish too. From where the car is being driven in the other video on his facebook account you can read the number plate, and it looks like a 'halting' place for travellers.
 Trevers 31 Mar 2015

The kid looks and sounds like he's 15.
In reply to Neil Williams:
I'd rather Farsebook got their fat arses off the huge mound of cash they're sitting on, and dobbed these bastards in to the Old Bill themselves. The video is clear evidence of criminal activity, and, judging by the sample of comments from the slack-jawed cretins, likely to inspire copycat incidents.
Post edited at 20:42
 Ridge 31 Mar 2015
In reply to Dave Perry:

> From where the car is being driven in the other video on his facebook account you can read the number plate, and it looks like a 'halting' place for travellers.

I think any chance of a prosecution just vanished...

Indeed. But in practice they will (if they accept the complaints) just delete it. So better to leave it there so the old bill can find it first.

Neil
 Billhook 31 Mar 2015
In reply to Ridge:

Johnathon O'Donnell's car number is DN61 ZDH.

I doubt for a minute he is capable of any kind of intelligent thought and I doubt whether he bothered in the slightest. The car is unlikely to be taxed, tested or insured.

Even if he did wake up and tried to delete his video it will be stored in countless internet caches anyway. Once on the 'net, always on the net.
 Trevers 31 Mar 2015
In reply to Dave Perry:
I'm sure his facebook inbox will be overflowing with messages of 'appreciation' too
Post edited at 22:14
OP gethin_allen 31 Mar 2015
In reply to Dave Perry:

I saw this, but the car in the video isn't a Vauxhall astra, it's an estate car with some dubious faux wood trim on the dashboard so it's probably a rover or possibly an old Mercedes looking at the rear boot screen.

Uluru 01 Apr 2015

I just went to have a look at the footage and it appears to have been removed
 Oceanrower 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Dave Perry:
DN61 ZDH is an Astra Se Cdti Auto 1956cc

It's taxed to 01 May 2015 and is currently insured.

For some reason the MOT isn't recorded, might not need one yet.

Isn't the internet wonderful!
Post edited at 08:51
 efrance24234 01 Apr 2015

Just got a message from Facebook and it says he has removed the video.
JMGLondon 01 Apr 2015

I can't stand Facebook, but thank goodness these morons have got a platform to post this stuff on. In the old days, there would have been no chance of prosecution.

Having said that, even in the face of overwhelming evidence of dangerous driving, there is a decent chance he'll be back on the road in no time.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=611997&v=1

Billhook 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Oceanrower:

Come on then Ocean Rower. How do you find out? Please!
 eltankos 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Dave Perry:

just google direct gov car tax checker
 Oceanrower 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Dave Perry:

> Come on then Ocean Rower. How do you find out? Please!

Have a look here.

https://totalcarcheck.co.uk/

The above was free but if you pay, you get everything!

And the MIB gives you insurance.
 Billhook 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Oceanrower and to you Eltankos:
Thanks for that!

I hope the guy who was assaulted in the video coidmes across this thread or at least finds out who it was and reports him. At least the idiots in the car have now realised it wasn't to clever to have posted it on line!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...