UKC

NEWS: The In Pinn Loses its Top Block - And Munro Status

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 01 Apr 2015
...and following the rock fall, 3 kbSkye's iconic Inaccessible Pinnacle has lost the Bolster Stone, the prominent boulder which had perched precariously on its summit. As a result the height of the 'In Pinn' has reduced by over eight metres, demoting it from Munro status.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=69629
 malky_c 01 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:

C'mon, this is so last year!
 Trangia 01 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:

That's devastating news. I really hope it wasn't my fault because when I did the Traverse a few years ago I leant against it.

I feel awful now and am ashamed to face the wrath of UKC.
 Jamie B 01 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Disaster - for local instructors and mountain leaders this will have a huge impact on our business. Having the Knight's Peak downgraded was bad enough, who will pay to do the Pinn now it's a mere Corbett?

I do hope that the block wasn't dislodged by over-enthusiastic abseiling. As there are now no threads available it will probably be neccessary to get a Hilti up there and drill a two-bolt fixed anchor.
 Bob 01 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Bloody Cyclists!
In reply to UKC News:

I've got a feeling that after about mid-day the Stone will be magically restored to its former position.
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I know Mike Lates works fast Gordon, but even he is only human.
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

He has a terrific sense of humour though
 Jackwd 01 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:

'Our poor guides will really suffer; they’ll have to stop their ski-touring, cancel their alps trips, and one is even talking about selling his Arcteryx jacket. I’ll have to tighten the belt too - the Beemer will soon be gone & I’ll be back in a Focus. Disneyland Paris instead of Florida was really hard to tell the kids.' That's great hahahaha
 Trangia 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> I've got a feeling that after about mid-day the Stone will be magically restored to its former position.

I think you are right, although I don't think it will be magic.

I understand that an RAF Chinook equipped with heavy lifting gear is already en route to Skye with a team the Walmington on Sea Air Cadets on board intent on saving the day.
In reply to Trangia:

I think the Sea Cadets could probably do it without the helicopter. Just a human pyramid and some arm work ...
 Rich Ellis 01 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News: Very good

Misha 01 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:
At least now those who do climb it will be true mountaineers who do it because it's there rather than because it's above a certain height.

Next: the Old Man of Hoy collapses. Which I reckon is actually possible in our lifetime.

BnB 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Jackwd:

> 'Our poor guides will really suffer; they’ll have to stop their ski-touring, cancel their alps trips, and one is even talking about selling his Arcteryx jacket

No danger of the Paramo yellow pants being discarded then?
In reply to UKC News:

Would have (maybe-but probably not have!) believed it had it fallen off 5 days ago, UKC is never that efficient on their news
In reply to The Green Giant:

I think you'll find in this case we are ahead of events
 iksander 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

I hear that technically Everest isn't a Munro, if you don't include the mound of human faeces on top
 sbc_10 01 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:

First it was Scafell....
Is it that stone nicking artist again !!
....better keep an eye on my rockery.
 Derry 01 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Love how the before and after pics have the exact same cloud formation.
mick taylor 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Bob:

Bloody Oscar Santillan
 sebrider 01 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:
The bolster stone fell off, but the clouds stayed in the same place, suppose stationary clouds are frequent in Skye!

Hopefully the abseil ring is okay, it now also forms the lower-off of the new sport route up the west side.
Post edited at 10:37
 cander 01 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Bloody Clarkson
 planetmarshall 01 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:

"Maple Foule"?
 BnB 01 Apr 2015
In reply to sebrider:

> The bolster stone fell off, but the clouds stayed in the same place, suppose stationary clouds are frequent in Skye!

No, the wind (and cloud) just completed a full circuit of the earth in the period between shots.

Speed Reed 01 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Every single bleeding year.....I fall for it!!!
 JohnnyW 01 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:

'I blame that Danny MacAskill for posing on top of the summit block with a BMX. The weight of his bike must have weakened it.'

Quality
 DaveHK 01 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:
I seem to remember that High magazine did one about the Cioch falling down.
Post edited at 12:24
 skog 01 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Some mild irony in the use of the caption "A photo clearly showing that the entire Pinnacle could slide off the hillside" - as this is quite true.
 eltankos 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Speed Reed:

So did the pinnacle! HOHO
 Mr. Lee 01 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:

This would never have happened with an independant Scotland
 TMM 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Mr. Lee:

> This would never have happened with an independant Scotland

Correct, but it could have happened in an independent Scotland.

Flett 01 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Think I seen it in a shop in Buckie
XXXX 01 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:

It's ok, the Harrisons Rocks Management Group are on their way to build a bridge already.

mjeffery 01 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:

I remember the cioch collapsing around this day in the early nineties.
 petestack 01 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:

> As a result the height of the 'In Pinn' has reduced by over eight metres

Plausible for Brobdingnag but not Skye! :-P
 Trangia 01 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:

We are well past mid day now, so presumably the sea cadets have successfully replaced the block and allowed the clouds to move on now?
 Pete Pozman 01 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Fair play I was got!
 petestack 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Jamie B:

> who will pay to do the Pinn now it's a mere Corbett?

Think a Corbett In Pinn at 500ft vertical separation from Sgurr Dearg sounds quite entertaining, Jamie! But you know it'd take more than the loss of the Brobdingnag Stone to give you that...
 peppermill 01 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:

It's clearly Danny McAskill's fault for ripping it up on his pushbike for that video last year. Flaming torches and pitchfork time.
 colinakmc 01 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Very disappointing. I heard that the John Muir Trust had applied for planning permission for a hut on the top of it for next year.
 gbloomer 02 Apr 2015
In reply to Misha:

> Next: the Old Man of Hoy collapses. Which I reckon is actually possible in our lifetime.

I could have swore it was swaying when I stood on top of it last year!
In reply to UKC News:

Is this an April Fool? I have my suspicions!
In reply to alistairmontgomery:
It was indeed an April Fool - I've added in an April Fool's disclaimer at the top as we've had a fair number of people believing it to be true! Wouldn't want to cause panic for people coming across it after the nonsense has died down a bit.
Post edited at 21:52
 Michael Gordon 03 Apr 2015
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

spoilsport!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...