UKC

Strange weather

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 01 Apr 2015
Not sure what the weather's up to across the rest of the UK, but here in North Yorkshire (Skipton area) it's been most peculiar for the last couple of days - sunny, rainy, hail, snow, wind, more wind, a bit more wind.

I'm sure this is purely anecdotal but has anyone else experiencing the same weather also noticed that everyone's in a funny mood? My dog was in daycare yesterday and one of the daycare team said the dogs seemed unsettled too.
 lummox 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Tall Clare:

My kids got v excited by the heavy snow yesterday, until it melted after about 5 minutes. They behave like loons. I blame their mother rather than meteorological phenomena ; )
 Chris the Tall 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Tall Clare:

To quote Jeremy Paxman - it's April, what do you expect ?

youtube.com/watch?v=HMAt8ZXqtbc&
OP Tall Clare 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Hah! But it was March yesterday :-P Isn't it March that's supposed to go out like a lamb? Bloody rowdy lamb if you ask me...
 Chris the Tall 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Tall Clare:

Only if it comes in like a lion, or goes for a pint in the Lion and Lamb, or something like that

Anyway, blame it on the Christians, it's their fault for moving Easter around, cos Easter is always crap
 Timmd 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Tall Clare:
I thought people seemed in a funny mood when out and about yesterday, we've had the same kind of weather in Sheffield. I've also been in a funny(ish) mood.

Wind is known to make children uppity or lively by the way, it was on News Round years ago and my Mum mentioned finding the same thing as a teacher.

My neighbour's cat can be seen jumping about more when it's windy...
Post edited at 14:55
 felt 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Tall Clare:

Always windy round the equinoxes, innit.
 BnB 01 Apr 2015
In reply to felt:

It's often windy around my meridian
 marsbar 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Tall Clare:

It was flying wheely bins here yesterday, with intermittent sunshine and a few minutes of hail. Today was sunny but now I have washing outside its gone all grey.

I think wind is unsettling for children. Probably the same for dogs.
 Bulls Crack 01 Apr 2015
In reply to marsbar:

Wind can be unsettling when you're old too.
In reply to Bulls Crack:

I'm so-o-o--o un-set-tled-d
 Mike Peacock 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Timmd:

>

> Wind is known to make children uppity or lively by the way, it was on News Round years ago and my Mum mentioned finding the same thing as a teacher.

That sounds suspiciously like nonsense. A bit like the whole 'people behaving funny on full moons' which has been proven to be purely anecdotal with no proof. A lot of the time these things are confirmation bias; something slightly odd happens, and people look to attribute it to whatever slightly unusual conditions are currently occurring.

Scarab9 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Mike Peacock:

I thought it was proven but not explqined? For examples left a+e and police call outs going up.
Anyone who has worked a bar will know too from personal experience.
 John Ww 01 Apr 2015

Believe me, a windy day coinciding with a full moon does not a calm classroom make! And god help you if it happens to also involved any or all of the following;
a wasp in the room
a dog in the school grounds
a flake of snow
a roll of thunder / flash of lightning
a visit from the windowcleaners.

JW
 Mike Peacock 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Scarab9:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_effect#Meta-analyses

No strong evidence yet. Anecdotal experience and confirmation bias are not proof. You have a crazy night working in a bar, finish your shift, walk out and look up to see a full moon? You remember that and link the two. Lots of times you have a crazy night and see no full moon; this doesn't break the link.
 Timmd 01 Apr 2015
> That sounds suspiciously like nonsense. A bit like the whole 'people behaving funny on full moons' which has been proven to be purely anecdotal with no proof. A lot of the time these things are confirmation bias; something slightly odd happens, and people look to attribute it to whatever slightly unusual conditions are currently occurring.

Possibly, though in keeping an open mind, I couldn't say one way or the other whether it's nonsense. Further study would be needed. (:~))
Post edited at 20:35
 Scarab9 01 Apr 2015

I fully understand how anecdotal evidence is suspect but the police and ambulance figures....
 fmck 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Tall Clare:

I remember waking up in the living room with the room lit up with a full moon. My border terrier was howling away like a wolf. Bizarre!
 Mike Peacock 02 Apr 2015
In reply to Scarab9:

Can you provide a link to these figures? The wiki article is fairly conclusive.
Rigid Raider 02 Apr 2015
In reply to Tall Clare:

I was up in Swaledale yesterday and the weather was exactly what I would expect in April; cold, very windy, with occasional rain storms rattling across.

More interesting was the fact that it rained all the way up the M6 and looked wet to the west over the Lakes yet when we turned east at J38 and headed towards Kirkby Stephen we entered a micro-climate of sunshine, blue skies and bone-dry roads. Should I move to the upper Lune Valley?
 toad 02 Apr 2015
In reply to Tall Clare:

Easter before last my boat nearly sank (literally) under the weight of snow - half of NE wales was cut off.
 marsbar 02 Apr 2015
In reply to Tall Clare:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1080/0141192890150108/abstract

I would be interested in reading this but I don't have access.
 Mike Peacock 02 Apr 2015
In reply to marsbar:

That seems like quite an interesting, if limited, paper.
"Weather variables feature in the regression analysis with varying degrees of statistical and educational significance. From the present analysis it appears that the speed of the wind was negatively linked, albeit slightly, with disruptive behaviour in the school under study. This does not bear out the widely held views that higher winds are connected with pupil misbehaviour."

There's also this:
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00484-010-0340-2
OP Tall Clare 02 Apr 2015

This is interesting, about Foehn winds (particularly the bit about 'Foehn sickness' and psychosis) - and yes, I know it's Wikipedia, so usual caveats apply: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foehn_wind

(and that the recent wind here hasn't been a Foehn wind).

Still, the sun is shining today in Skipdale, and the wind has dropped. Oh happy day! It's my birthday tomorrow and it's forecast to be *bogging*
Post edited at 13:16

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...