UKC

Broken Ankle, how long to recover?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Beardyman 01 Apr 2015
Hey folks,

I managed to do a pretty good job of trying to separate my foot from my leg but somehow despite lots of broken bones the foot is still attached. Only fell about 3m but I guess I landed badly!

An exciting helicopter rescue and a less exciting series of operations have left me couch-bound for 3 weeks and counting... I have another 4 weeks in a cast before I can can start weight bearing, physio and showing off my cool scars.

I'm obviously keen to get back to full health and back to climbing. I'm sure plenty of folk on here have broken their ankles before. How long did it take before you could drive, do easy indoor top roping, jump off onto a bouldering mat, etc.

I know everyone will heal at a different rate but I'd like some idea of how long I may have to wait before giving it a shot. My consultant thought about 3 months before easy climbing and about 1 year before jumping off rocks.

Or should I listen to my wife and take up golf?
 deanr 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Beardyman:
I'd be interested to hear the outcome of this. I broke my ankle 6 weeks ago in a very minor slip coming down the corrie headwall on the Ballhulish Horseshoe. After the initial cast, The bone did displace so I had to have a couple of screws put in. I'm now in an aircast and am touch weight bearing only and hope to have the cast off in 3 week (some 9 weeks after the initil accudent).
 cezza 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Beardyman:

Based on my own experiences with cars and telegraph poles......
6 weeks before any weight bearing and then be amazed at how weak and painful it has become
12 weeks before full weight bearing but expect it to feel sore very quickly
6 month before it feels normal
12 months before you have the confidence in it to do something stupid again
20 years later you may still find that it doesn't always behave how you want
 walts4 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Beardyman:

It all depends on your ability to withstand discomfort & pain, obviously helps to be fit prior to the break as well as being very motivated & determined to get back to normal.
I climbed very quickly after cast removal 3 months, but very easy & avoided slab routes.
Walked lots uphill on a tread mill after 3 months, gradually increasing both the speed & angle of inclination over the following months.
Skied after 5 months
Started gentle interval running after 7 months on the tread mill.
Ran outside for the first time after 8 months.
Sure that the biggest aid to recovery was to get outside & walk along with various stretching exercises.
Its also about managing your head, this will restrain your urge to try to climb, especially lead, but you will know when you are ready to.
By the way, my consultant informed me that I would always walk with a limp & be in constant pain, discomfort with my smashed ankle, its up to you to prove him wrong!
It has taken until recently to not be aware of my ankle (8 months!)

Good luck & stay positive
 Melok 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Beardyman:

When you said scars, was it a compound fracture
> Hey folks,

> I managed to do a pretty good job of trying to separate my foot from my leg but somehow despite lots of broken bones the foot is still attached. Only fell about 3m but I guess I landed badly!

> An exciting helicopter rescue and a less exciting series of operations have left me couch-bound for 3 weeks and counting... I have another 4 weeks in a cast before I can can start weight bearing, physio and showing off my cool scars.

> I'm obviously keen to get back to full health and back to climbing. I'm sure plenty of folk on here have broken their ankles before. How long did it take before you could drive, do easy indoor top roping, jump off onto a bouldering mat, etc.

> I know everyone will heal at a different rate but I'd like some idea of how long I may have to wait before giving it a shot. My consultant thought about 3 months before easy climbing and about 1 year before jumping off rocks.

> Or should I listen to my wife and take up golf?

Rick Graham 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Beardyman:

I did mine on 25/10/14 and asked the same question.

Mr Lopez gave the best advice.

Re driving, left or right foot? automatic or manual?

I asked my consultant, insurance co and looked up various websites, all said no way.
I then realised that if I convinced my GP I could drive, the insurance co. etc all fell into line, nay bother.

Re climbing The best thing was realising a plastic boot outer fit perfectly over my weight bearing cast.
Worked a treat at the climbing wall / lead walls (no bouldering), a practice walk to go winter climbing was soon aborted as too painful.

While the non weight bearing cast is on , an" i walk 2" was found really useful far easier than crutches.
In reply to Melok:

A lot depends on the surrounding soft tissue damage, not just the bones, and for me (after a muscle flap and skin graft) I needed to keep very mobile in order to reduce the soft tissue swelling (which was more painful than the bones/plate/nail/screws).

Personally I was determined not to let my fracture stop me getting outdoors, so I did a gentle 2 miles on crutches on my first day home (1 week post op), and was on top of Snowdon 7 weeks later. My A+E consultant was quite amused by my suggestion that "Partial Weight Bearing" meant I could do gentle scrambling on the lower parts of Tryfan because I would be taking some of the weight with my arms.....

The main risks to bone healing are twisting or shock loading, so once you're weight bearing, easy top roping or seconding shouldn't be a major issue as long as you aren't in pain, whilst leading or bouldering where a jump, fall or awkward slip are more likely would obviously need a longer recovery.
 Melok 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Main risk to bone healing is arthritis especially if its a compound fracture
 cwarby 01 Apr 2015
In reply to Beardyman:

I realise the injury is different, but years ago I had a supra condylar fracture of the femur. Apparently I wouldn't walk without a limp. But I was young so I ignored this advice. Biggest problem when starting to do physio was mobility and flexibility. My knee did not work. So I took the chain off my bike, stuck it in the dining room and tried pedalling. Once I had mobility, then go round the block, then twice etc. With the toe clip on the good leg I could get home if the bad leg played up.
Moral - listen to physios, work with what you can, try things, do it little and often - in front of the tv etc, take note of what your body tells you and get on with it. cezza sums it up.
I wish you well.
Chris
 evhall 02 Apr 2015
In reply to Beardyman:

I managed to snap my talus on the 15th February (nearly 8 weeks ago)..this required screwing together a week later. Then no weight bearing for 6 weeks..

There are some good 1 legged work-outs on youtube to keep some fitness + walking around on crutches as much as possible.

I also happened to be 1 week into a mindfulness meditation course when I broke my ankle. I feel that practicing meditation everyday has been very helpful both mentally and physically. So have a look into it - there are some reports on the net about the benefits of meditation to bone healing...

I saw the surgeon on Wednesday and he gave me the all clear - although I have to wear a rigid sports brace (to prevent me from twisting my ankle...)...so I cycled to work today and I'm going (gentle) climbing on Saturday. My calf has gone amazingly weak (disco leg from holding down clutch) - but hopefully it will return to normal soon enough...

Good luck with your injury - mine had a chance of a nasty side effect (bone death) - so for me it was vital not to put any weight through my foot for the 6 weeks of healing - worth obeying that order

Also my surgeon said to avoid ibuprofen as it inhibts bone growth...Looking at the masses of other advice on the net it is also good to limit your caffeine intake...and if you happen to be rich then baromatic oxygen therapy is also very good for healing bones (apparently!)...

Oh yes - cos I broke my left ankle driving an automatic car was no problem...

and...enjoy those Easter eggs...

OP Beardyman 03 Apr 2015
In reply to Beardyman:

Thanks for all the positive advice folks.

What I did was dislocate my ankle outwards. I broke the Fibula requiring a plate with 6 screws. I snapped the base of my Tibia right off (The Medial Malleolus) requiring two pins to hold back in place. Plus a long pin through both bones to stablise the whole thing. I will obviously done a lot of tissue damage, the bone almost pierced the skin... I dread to thing what tendons and ligaments were stretched and damaged inside my ankle!

I was extremely down for the first two weeks but I am determined to get back to good health and full mobility. Now that I'm in far less pain I am doing regular stretching, leg raises, pushups and a bit of fingerboarding. I have been warned I may not get full mobility back but I am equally determined to prove them wrong!!

Keep the faith folks, D
OP Beardyman 03 Apr 2015
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

> Personally I was determined not to let my fracture stop me getting outdoors, so I did a gentle 2 miles on crutches on my first day home (1 week post op), and was on top of Snowdon 7 weeks later. My A+E consultant was quite amused by my suggestion that "Partial Weight Bearing" meant I could do gentle scrambling on the lower parts of Tryfan because I would be taking some of the weight with my arms.....

HAHA, This is the coolest thing I have ever read on a UKC forum!

You, sir, are a legend!
 mountainbagger 03 Apr 2015
In reply to Beardyman:

Nevermind how long it will take to recover, it's how you do it that matters. You will find ways to achieve things in spite of your injury because you are determined, full mobility or not. After you get over the initial shock it's game on!

Best of luck and get to work!
 xbraddersx 04 Apr 2015
In reply to Beardyman:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=612894

My story is here. I recovered quite a lot quicker than expected - and I followed instructions to the letter.

Wishing you the best recovery.
OP Beardyman 08 Apr 2015
In reply to couldxbe:

Thanks for posting. I had a very revealing conversation with a pal who had done her ankle in last year (although nowhere near as bad as mine) She is just about back to her previous level (in terms of grade and confidence in jumping off bouldering) after 1 year.

I am making a little video blog, film thing of my injury and recovery which I will share once I'm back climbing, so could be a long while in the making!! I have the accident on film, currently making the 'training montage' section. It's actually quite a good way to make me do more training!

Cast off in 2 weeks so that's the next milestone....
Phizzers 12 Apr 2015
In reply to Beardyman:

Goog luck with your recovery - I disintegrated my talus bone and couldn't put any weight on my foot for 4 months, I was on crutches for 9 months and a bit. It took a year and a half to be able to walk up any hill, but I was back climbing after 3 years.
The worst problem was that because I didn't use my left foot for so long, I suffered with terrible ingrowing toenails. Make sure you keep the buggers in check. £20 to a chiropodist is money well spent.
I managed to get back up to E2, but the days of technical routes have gone.

I hope you have a speedier and full recovery, and get back to your best. Keep off the beer and chips - it plays havoc with your spare lard supplies.
Cheers
Phizzers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...