UKC

Question for Skoda Fabia owners.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 d_b 01 Apr 2015
Have you ever successfully changed the side lights on your car?

The manual says that you get the bulb out by "grasping the bulb holder" and pulling. Unfortunately the bulb holder is at the end of a narrow plastic tube that makes it virtually impossible to get more than one finger on it. It's possible to apply a bit of force by pulling on some nice sharp edges, but as the thing appears to be superglued in it makes little difference.

I tried needle nosed pliers, but kept getting the wire instead of the holder. Don't want to pull hard on that!

I have just given up on my third attempt, and am reluctantly concluding that the easiest option might be to sell the car and buy a new one.

Trevers 01 Apr 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

Never tried changing the side lights. The main headlight on one side is a 10 second job, on the other side it's bloody impossible
 nastyned 01 Apr 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

Try youtube, there's often helpful videos there. Or got to Halfords and get them to do it. Costs a few quid but can save hours of misery.
 Pedro50 01 Apr 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

Yes another vote for Halfords, save the stress
 cmgcmg 02 Apr 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

Its supposed to be a garage/dealer job which is daft. It is possible if you make a tool with something like a bicycle spoke. Its a long time since I did this on a roomster which has the same units. I put a wire harness on to make it easier for next time but never changed them again. Once they have been out they come and go a lot easier. A dentist mirror will help...
 Neil Williams 02 Apr 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:
Surely the wisdom in here would be flog it and buy an Octavia Estate with working side lights? Though I suppose a Fabia is part way there

In all seriousness, I get Halfords to do bulbs these days. They don't charge a lot and they can get their hands injured/mucky for me.

Neil
Post edited at 12:40
OP d_b 02 Apr 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

Thanks all for the replies. Seems it isn't just me at least!

I will try and make a tool and have one last go next week, and if that fails I'm off to Halfords.
 krikoman 02 Apr 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

> Thanks all for the replies. Seems it isn't just me at least!

> I will try and make a tool and have one last go next week, ........

Good man, fight the power!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...