UKC

whiplash and climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ashtond6 02 Apr 2015
Anyone had any experience with whiplash? How long did it take you to recover?
How long till you started climbing again?
Any long term issues

Got the biggest trip of my life booked and I leave in 8 weeks..... not ideal
 johncook 02 Apr 2015
In reply to ashtond6:

Whiplash is so variable that it is almost impossible to give a timescale. A good physio can help. My only serious case of whiplash, after a massive car accident, went from being unable to move my head to a dull ache if I looked up in about a month. Belay glasses may be useful, as that is when it is most uncomfortable/painful. Good luck. Hope you get the insurance sorted quickly, they should be paying for the sports physio.
 John H Bull 02 Apr 2015
In reply to johncook:

Could be a while. My experience with pretty minor whiplash was that it felt like it should be over in a month, the doc reckoned 9 months (and didn't recommend physio), but in fact it took 18 months and a long holiday until I happily realised it was no longer bothering me. I'm getting on a bit though...

Desk work doesn't help. Running was out. I swim a lot, but that led to pain and stiffness next day. It never stopped me climbing, but I got used to next-day aches and pains. Belaying was (and still is) rather unpleasant - belay specs handy for sport. I'm sure your experience will be totally different!
OP ashtond6 02 Apr 2015
In reply to ashtond6:

Thanks!
 TomBaker 02 Apr 2015
In reply to ashtond6:

Not sure you'd call it whiplash proper, but my other halfs cleared up in about 8 days after knocking herself out skiing.
llechwedd 02 Apr 2015
In reply to ashtond6:

Here's a suggestion of something to read whilst you hopefully recover

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Whiplash-Useful-Illnesses-Andrew-Malleson/dp/077352...
 duchessofmalfi 02 Apr 2015
In reply to ashtond6:

>> How long till you started climbing again?

Wait until claims direct(tm) have settled!

llechwedd 02 Apr 2015
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

> >> How long till you started climbing again?

> Wait until claims direct(tm) have settled!

Joking apart, from a physiotherapist perspective, the pain and disability commonly associated with 'whiplash' often seem to persist until after an insurance claim has been settled.
 Wesley Orvis 02 Apr 2015
In reply to ashtond6:
First time pulling a windbreaker pole out lasted around six months severe pain couldn't even hill walk as couldnt look up hill at all. Second time in car accident cleared up in about 12 weeks but could only not climb for about two weeks. As said very variable depending on where damage has been done and which muscle has ripped and varies person to person.
Post edited at 18:43

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...