UKC

Coffee Grinder advice please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
JonnoMaude 02 Apr 2015
I'm looking to buy a new coffee grinder! I have some specific things I'm looking for and don't know that anything exists that meets all my needs!

I want conical burr (preferably ceramic) grinding, that is operated manually rather than powered.... I would like it to have an antistatic cup, which seems the trickiest element to find as it doesn't seem to be the most common feature on grinders.. And naturally I would like something that is pleasant to use, easy to operate and clean and most importantly offer a high quality coffee grinding experience!

If people have any recommendations that they think might suit, please do let me know
JonnoMaude 02 Apr 2015
In reply to gribble:

Thanks mate, flicking through that's highlighted one grinder in particular I'm now quite interested in!
 jethro kiernan 03 Apr 2015
In reply to JonnoMaude:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001802PIQ/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1424700187&...
Got this, a pleasure to use, as long as you except thatTNF the time taken is part of the coffee experience
JonnoMaude 03 Apr 2015
In reply to jethro kiernan:

That's the exact one I've honed in on from the thread mentioned before! It looks good, and I have to say that's my main reason for wanting a manual grinder is because I really enjoy the coffee making experience
In reply to JonnoMaude:

I have a porlex one which is brilliant. Always use the electric grinder at home though, takes waaay to much effort and time to grind beans for a few coffees.
 James B 04 Apr 2015
In reply to JonnoMaude:

I've got that Hario hand grinder, and use it every day. It's a good grinder
 Milesy 05 Apr 2015

I use the "hausgrind" it's a hand made burr grinder by an engineer in Scotland.

Hario and porlex are ok if you don't mind an uneven grind due to drifting between the crank shaft. By uneven many people don't or won't care and the quality of the coffee beans and the skill of their coffee making will let them down before the grind will. However if you are fairy skilled in those things then you may be able to tell when there are "fines" in the end up due to over extraction.

I've been using the hausgrind for a year now and I don't know what I would do without it. I use it for aeropress, chemex, and woodneck brewing.

http://www.madebyknock.com/handgrind-grinders.html

It's wood so the capture cup has much less static than on plastic ones.
Post edited at 01:13
 alan barnes 05 Apr 2015
In reply to JonnoMaude:

Spong
 Xharlie 07 Apr 2015
In reply to Milesy:

That Hausgrind grinder looks excellent but that website is useless. How much does one expect to pay for such a thing and who is selling them?
 galpinos 07 Apr 2015
In reply to Xharlie:

£130 from the website (but appear out of stock). Not exactly rocket science......

(I'll concede the website is style over substance)
 Milesy 07 Apr 2015
It isn't a very professional website. The guy hand makes them and sells them at coffee festivals etc. For a while his facebook is where he was doing all his initial business - madebyknock. They are well received by professional and amateur barristas around the world. I would ping them on facebook or email - they aren't massively quick at responding as the guy spend his full time in his workshop making the things and demand very quickly overtook supply over the last year. It is the best hand grinder I have ever owned, and its better than many professional electric burr grinders at twice the price.
 galpinos 07 Apr 2015
In reply to Milesy:

They do look the part but a bit expensive for my palette. My Hario, Aeropress and ManCoCo Manchester Blend is enough for me……
 Milesy 07 Apr 2015
In reply to galpinos:

Is not about the look it's about the vastly superior quality of grind, which is way higher than the hario (and I've had all the cheap hand grinders). The hario only improves in grind consistency the tighter the burrs get which for aeropress and a finer grind is more acceptable than if you want to go courser for say french press or drip. Believe me when I used to be happy with what you had until I was able to improve it even more.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...