UKC

austrian alpine club insurance.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
screeweasel 02 Apr 2015
hi,

I'm going to canada ski mountaineering and heard mentioned austrian alpine club insurance my be an option - anyone any experience of this for canada? or other thoughts on insurance companies. i usually use snowboard, but the quote was a whopper for this one......

regards
 philipjardine 02 Apr 2015
In reply to screeweasel:

Interesting blog here with some useful suggestions. Summary seems to be Austrian Alpine Club for Europe and anyone but the BMC for elsewhere

http://www.markhorrell.com/blog/2014/expedition-insurance-why-im-ditching-b...
screeweasel 03 Apr 2015
In reply to screeweasel:

many thanks, interesting reading!
 NottsRich 04 Apr 2015
In reply to philipjardine:

> Interesting blog here with some useful suggestions. Summary seems to be Austrian Alpine Club for Europe and anyone but the BMC for elsewhere

Just to be clear, that was written in Dec 2014. He mentions at one point "This is good news [BMC finding new insurance underwriters], and means BMC will be worth considering again in the future, but until it happens, insure yourself with someone else!" - This has now happened and the BMC has new underwriters. The rest of that article, at least the first half regarding the BMC, is now out of date. The section on alternative insurers may still be valid though.
 philipjardine 04 Apr 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

I am not sure the new underwriters have made a huge difference. The BMC policies are very expensive. That may be fine if they are giving cover over and above ordinary travel insurance but its unclear to me whether they are.

It seems to me the 2 main big risks that need to be covered (particularly in North America) are medical costs and search and rescue costs. Its fairly easy to cover medical costs. Dog Tag seems to be popular and you can get get medical cover for ski mountaineering in Canada from them much cheaper than the BMC.

Search and rescue is another minefield. Dog Tag states "First of all, as with any travel insurance, search and rescue is only provided in the event of a medical emergency. If you need cover for S&R in other circumstances (say, equipment failure or, well, simply getting lost) then we suggest you look at the likes of GEOS Alliance who charge very little for a fabulous membership. They also have a medivac service which will lift you to a hospital where we can take over".

Its possible to conceive of lots of reasons you might want to be rescued uninjured (ropes stuck, tent blows away etc etc).

On this subject the BMC policy states that they will pay for search and rescue if you are uninjured if you are suffering "mountain or aquatic distress". Distress isnt defined in the policy document.

Another major problem with the BMC policies is that they exclude cover if you are in a "remote and inaccessible place". This isnt defined in the policy document and has left the poor staff in the BMC office trying to work out what it means.

I have had very good feed back about the cover that comes with membership of the CAF but havent looked into this in detail yet.

NottsRich 04 Apr 2015
In reply to philipjardine:

> I am not sure the new underwriters have made a huge difference. The BMC policies are very expensive. That may be fine if they are giving cover over and above ordinary travel insurance but its unclear to me whether they are.

Good point well made. I'm not sure if the new underwriters have made any difference at all, I was just pointing out that things had changed since that blog was written.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...