UKC

NEW REVIEW: Y & Y Belay Glasses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 03 Apr 2015
Y & Y Belay Glasses , 3 kbThe Y & Y belay glasses offer a well-priced option in a decent package.

The initial impression when you see a pair is that it all looks a bit whacky - a sort of prototype device made from some crazy inventor - however pop the things on and, for most people, everything suddenly becomes clear, if a little disorienting....

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=7215

TobyA 03 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

I used to see people using these regularly in Finland over the last few years, mainly at crags as I never went to walls much, it seemed that they had found a niche there - I don't think I've seen anyone with them on in UK yet. Interesting to see if they take off.

But anyway, did nobody else see the pic of (I think) Alan's son modelling the glasses towards the bottom of the review and immediately think "It's Thomas Dolby!!" http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81fvK5hxs6L._SL1300_.jpg

https://youtu.be/-FIMvSp01C8?list=RD-FIMvSp01C8
(although I always much preferred youtube.com/watch?v=8OsZTJ5vfUs& )
Perhaps you have to be of a certain age.
 planetmarshall 03 Apr 2015
In reply to TobyA:

> I used to see people using these regularly in Finland over the last few years, mainly at crags as I never went to walls much, it seemed that they had found a niche there - I don't think I've seen anyone with them on in UK yet. Interesting to see if they take off.

Seen quite a few users at walls in the UK.
 Fraser 03 Apr 2015
In reply to TobyA:

> I don't think I've seen anyone with them on in UK yet. Interesting to see if they take off.

Must have been a fluke Toby as I've seen a lot of folk in the UK with belay glasses, predominantly the CU ones which I find are an overall better product. I don't want to pi** on anyone's chips, (especially for a presumably paid-for advertorial), but IMO the Y&Y ones simply aren't as good as they CU's in several respects.

Having shared a pair of CU's for years, I bought a pair of the Y&Y's but ended up sending them back. If you're on a tight budget they're a good alternative but personally, I'd rather pay extra for the better product.
 TobyA 03 Apr 2015
In reply to Fraser:

Well I guess I've mainly been climbing at trad crags - exactly where the review says you don't need these - but I haven't seen anyone wearing them at the wall either on my visits this winter. Probably more likely to be used by regulars going evenings than the its-raining-on-saturday-what-should-we-do? family groups I've been with!

Why are the other brand better do you find?
 Fraser 03 Apr 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Yes, I think outdoors and at smaller crags, they're probably overkill, but I find them invaluable when climbing indoors in Ratho. Any sort of belay glasses really save on neck strain.

To be fair to the Y&Y guys, they have pitched their product at a slightly different market and it's correct to say these glasses "offer a well-priced option in a decent package". For me however, they were a bit too heavy on the bridge of the nose and, because they sit away further from the eyes, the image is noticeably smaller. I felt the engineering on these was okay, just not quite up to the CU quality, which I've been using for maybe 4 years or so.

On the plus side, the Y&Y ones have a decent, harness-clippable carry case which could be useful on multi-pitch sport climbs.

Horses for courses really.
 AymanC 03 Apr 2015

+1 for CU's. These are a cheap copy. Support the original designer.

Also, last time I was in Ceuse, looking along any sector, about every third belayer had them.
More than a few at the walls I frequent.
As the article says people think they are some strange gimmick but it always puts a smile on their face when they actually try them.

Personally I had quite severe neck problems (not climbing related) and wouldn't be belaying if I hadn't got a pair of (CU) glasses. Cheap at twice the price.
Post edited at 17:05
In reply to UKC Gear:

I converted a pair of reading prism glasses (swapped the arms around - they now look up instead of down) purchased on Amazon for well under £10. They fit over my specs & do the job just as well, but are entirely unsuitable for the style-conscious climber! Perfect.
 Mark Kemball 03 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

I have the CU version, which are excellent (but twice the price of the YYs), they are excellent indoors, and useful at any single pitch venue. I find they are a very useful aid to concentration - you are much less likely to be distracted as your main field of vision is focused on the climber. Also, quite apart from the lack of neck pain, I must have saved the price several times over by not having to pay osteopath bills. I can wear them comfortably over my glasses.

I've looked at the YY version, they seem fine to me and I'd probably buy them if I had to replace my current pair.
 stp 04 Apr 2015
In reply to buxtoncoffeelover:

The last pair I bought off Amazon were £3.59 including postage. The first pair broke in the centre after I'd dropped them on the floor a bunch of times.

The difference between those designed for climbing and those converted from 'TV in bed' glasses, aside from the huge price difference, is the latter are more enclosed so you're more focused on the climber and less likely to be distracted. They're not quite as comfortable but at something like 95% cheaper I think its worth it. And if you wanted to you could always modify or add some padding to the nose bridge is comfort is really that important to you. Paying £50 or more for a couple of prisms mounted on a frame seems like a total rip off.

Once you get used to them they're great, an essential bit of kit for all lead climbing.
 The Pylon King 04 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

April fools was the 1st April.
 ianstevens 04 Apr 2015
In reply to Pylon King Against Capit@lism:

Agreed. I've never found bending my neck something that needs to be "innovated" away.
 Fraser 04 Apr 2015
In reply to ianstevens:

Give it a few years and you might change your mind! When belaying someone regularly on long, steep routes or if they're working a route for a prolonged period, I've found them invaluable. They're also great for vertical / overhanging routes where you can't move far back from the base of the crag when belaying. They're not really made for short routes at small crags. It's pretty simple: if you don't want or need them, don't buy a pair.
 Pete Pozman 05 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

Can't believe this isn't an April Fool wind up!
Personally, if I've got a stiff neck, I find lying on my back is the perfect solution for painful belaying.
 Fraser 05 Apr 2015
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Based on your logbook, the manufacturers probably aren't targeting you with this product. As I said above, no-one's forcing you to buy a pair.

And I must add, stiff neck or no, if my belayer were on his back when I was leading, I'd be looking for a new belayer!
 3 Names 05 Apr 2015
In reply to Pete Pozman:

If you ever see someone belaying lying down, you know your watching a muppet who has never tried to hold a big whipper in that position.
 Ciro 05 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

I tried these recently when a friend had them at the crag. My main problem was that due to the shape of the bridge they didn't work over the top of my sunglasses, which is something I do quite often with the CU glasses.
 fugg 06 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

What if you wear glasses already ???? No mention of this.
Can they be used in conjunction with normal specs or not. If so how does it affect the optics.

Peter
 AymanC 06 Apr 2015
In reply to fugg:

Another reason to get CU then. I wear theme over large wrap around sunglasses.
Fugg- they are just prisms and mirrors- not lenses so they don't affect normal corrective glasses.
Seems ciro says the Y+Y don't fit well over glasses. You get what you pay for
In reply to UKC Gear:

I saw this thread occasionally with surprise, I really appreciate UKC writes the review, it is really excellent, it talks about all the things we want to express, and also mentions the shortage of them. I also would like to thank the guys above to leave their opinions. However, I notice the misunderstandings and want to make a few rational explanations:

1. Necessity to use belay glasses: actually that is the matter of hobby, it is like gloves, without them you still have no threat to your life but they bring comfort, while I like the metaphor from Lucy Creamer more: "A bit like what it was like when seat belts became compulsory" http://www.lucycreamer.com/news/2015/04/04/I_need_glasses/
2. Compare to CU: at first to put enormous little difference aside, the biggest one is the nose bridge design, we have larger nose pads so it is more comfortable, that may bring little difficulty to be compatible with some fully-cover sunglasses. But for 100% eyeglasses and most sunglasses, they have perfect compatibility
3. To whom says we are copiers: design patent, No. 002433698-001, No. 002397745-001 protected by OHIM. The first car in the world was invented by Benz, but we have Rolls-Royce. It is unfair to say followers are copiers.

Many pro climbers, Steve Mcclure, Hazel Findlay, James Mchaffie, Lucy Creamer....... http://www.yy-belayglasses.co.uk/professional-test/ . They have tested our product and spoken highly of it. I know it is hard to decide just based on the info online, so we provide warranty for one year, if you don't like them for your purchase, you can just send them back to us and get full refund. Or you can simply go to our partner climbing walls or shops to take a free trial: http://www.yy-belayglasses.co.uk/free-trial/

Please just have a try, nothing will be lost. If you have any questions including ideas to improve our product, please contact me, contact@yy-belayglasses.co.uk. We will take them into consideration and may realize them in new generation of products

Cheers
 Charlie Noakes 08 Apr 2015
In reply to Y&Y Belay Glasses:

I was given a pair as a Christmas present and was initially sceptical. I used them for the first time a couple of weeks on a sport climbing trip to Portland and was really impressed. Reckon these are great for anyone who spends time belaying people projecting/dogging routes.
 Mick Ward 08 Apr 2015

Good on you for coming on here. Back in the day, I could belay on steep crags like Kilnsey for hours on end. And then less so... And now, if I went back, I'm sure I wouldn't last five minutes. And if your neck's in spasm, there's just no point being there. My partner has tinnitus and referred pain all down her spine from knackering her neck through squash 40+ years ago. Seems to me that belay specs are the way forward.

Mick
 monkeys 11 Apr 2015
"Design patent, No. 002433698-001, No. 002397745-001 protected by OHIM" are just registration of physical appearance, not a patent on any innovative aspect

Looks so different to the CU right !
Would be nice to see you acknowledge where 99.99% of your 'inspiration came from.
Y&Y is the Rolls Royce. Really ?

My CU still as good as new after 5 years of regular use.
Post edited at 01:28
 BusyLizzie 14 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

To the sceptics: I have been having neck problems for a while now and would not be able to carry on climbing - or, at any rate, wouldn't be able to belay - without belay glasses.
In reply to UKC Gear:

IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTE: Since writing this review, I have noticed an important safety consideration when using any belay glasses, not just the Y&Y ones.

If anything is dropped from above, like loose rock of bits of gear, then you have no idea where to run in order to get out of the way of the missile when wearing belay glasses. In fact it is slightly worse than that since normally you have an insitinctive protective response when you see something falling, or here a cry of "below". When wearing belay glasses it is almost as if you are staring at a screen and the same instinctive reaction doesn't kick in initially and you have to train yourself to look up past the glasses, or flick them off. This puts a significant delay in your response time which could be cruical.

This isn't a problem when on steep sport routes, or at indoor walls, which is where the glasses are used most, but it is not advised that you use belay glasses when you are forced to stand directly under your leader on loose terrain (Garage Buttress, Stoney Middleton for example). It is also why I personally would advise against buying the type of belay glasses that black out everything except the prism view - this is not the case for Y&Y or CU belay glasses.

Alan
 winhill 12 May 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

Is this in response to a particular event?

A cursory glance at CUbelayglasses.co.uk shows this in their user guidance:

"Outdoor Safety
Whether you are more, or less likely to notice falling rock, debris etc whilst using CU is a matter of individual judgement and familiarity with the outdoor venue. Only you and your climber can decide whether the terrain, presence of trip hazards, obstacles, nature of rock stability etc enable safe use of CU."

I think part of the problem is that some companies are trying to sell the loss of peripheral vision as a feature rather than a drawback, hence they stress the supposed improved focus or concentration on the climber, whereas CU seem to take the more responsible position. (Last year when Y & Y were offering a 10% discount to customers starting threads espousing the benefits there was a lot of discussion about safety but this year CU and Y & Y have extended the period before using them to the third clip, which again seems a more responsible attitude).

You'd think if restricting peripheral vision was an aid to belaying people who didn't suffer neck issues would have developed a blinker system to wear whilst belaying, taking concentration from 100% to 110% or even beyond.

Last year guidebook guru Pete O'Donovan mentioned an alternative that is cheaper and doesn't restrict the user in the same manner http://columnvert.com/index_eng.html be interesting to see a comparison.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...