UKC

Films that apparently you should have watched

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 03 Apr 2015

Looking through the TV listings, Shawshank Redemption is on this evening.
The other half said "great film isn't it" and she was surprised that I have never seen it.

Apparently I should have watched it at some point in time but I've never been interested in it. So then, apart from that one, there are endless films I haven't seen which I'm sure my wife would say I should have. So here are a couple more:

Green Mile
Schindlers List

Anyone else?
Post edited at 22:12
 wiwwim 03 Apr 2015
In reply to Denni:

titanic (the more people say "you should watch it", the less I wanted to)
In reply to Denni:

They Live, John Carpenters finest hour, the classic conspiracy movie with a down beat blues sound track, a fight scene so legendary that South Park even devoted a full episode to it, and for some strange reason they never ever even ever show it on the custard (1)

What the French Connection United Kingdom am I talking about. I wrap my tiny little mind in tinfoil and watch it every day, whhhoooaaah! Don't even get started on the Ghosts of Mars.

for your viewing pleasure

youtube.com/watch?v=HeZ7cMrGEy4&

ref (1) custard: Cockney Rhyming slang. Custard and Jelly, Telly.
Post edited at 22:23
 David Alcock 03 Apr 2015
In reply to Denni:
Stalker, Andrei Rublov, Mirror, just for starters.
Post edited at 22:25
 Steve Perry 03 Apr 2015
In reply to Denni:

According to the wife Dirty Dancing but I can't bring myself to watch it.
In reply to wiwwim:

Ditto 'avatar'
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Please, please don't watch Avatar - possibly the most technically sophisticated, and thus expensive, mindless bilge that's ever been created.
 Tom Last 03 Apr 2015
In reply to Steve Perry:

> According to the wife Dirty Dancing but I can't bring myself to watch it.

Brilliant film.
In reply to Denni:

Spent the last 3 hours introducing my teenage (politics student) daughter to "Dr Strangelove" and "The Mouse on the moon"
 Tom Valentine 04 Apr 2015
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I can't think what your objection could be to technical sophistication.

And you are exaggerating a bit. There's plenty of films around much more mindless than Avatar.

> Please, please don't watch Avatar - possibly the most technically sophisticated, and thus expensive, mindless bilge that's ever been created.

I enjoyed Avatar, I guess mainly for the 3D but the concept of the story is interesting, I.E the travel to other planets to rape the environment and the ability to insert consciousness into an avatar, Plus the visuals are equally good, but after that its just a overlong and minimum boy meets girl cowboy and indian film, this time with the rare outcome that the west wasn't won. It's probably on a par with the Shining with Kubricks hidden tale of the TV apollo broadcasts.
Post edited at 00:21
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> I can't think what your objection could be to technical sophistication.

My objection is not to the technical sophistication (the best thing about the film), but the fact that it's using that to paper over the multitude of cracks in the very childish script.

> And you are exaggerating a bit. There's plenty of films around much more mindless than Avatar.

Did we discuss that? I don't recall it. I thought the last James Bond was worse, actually. Just pure drivel and not particularly well done or remotely entertaining.

andymac 04 Apr 2015
In reply to Steve Perry:
It's worth a watch.

Rather poignant now as Mr Swayze is no longer with us.though not as poignant as watching Ghost,or surfing into eternity in Point Break

Watched a good documentary about Dirty D ; DD 25 years on.

The Dirty Dancers absolutely hated each other.

Quite often the case in big Hollywood films.Anne Hathaway is, apparently, not liked (at all) by her fellow actors.

What's not to like?
Post edited at 00:32
In reply to John Simpson:

No 'hidden tale of TV Apollo broadcasts'.

> No 'hidden tale of TV Apollo broadcasts'.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=the+shining+apollo+11&oq=the+shinning...

Absolute garbage. I gave a talk about it at my local Belper Ritz Cinema about two years ago. Stanley found these conspiracy theories absolutely hilarious at the time, I remember. 'Just how was I meant to be able to do that, Gordon?'

Well garbage or not Gordon, the story is quite well documented and the symbolism is apparent for those that read it.

What do you think of the further tale that your friend Stanley wasn't allowed his own directors cut on the visually immaculate 'Eyes wide shut' as they say those that know Kubrick's cinematography speculate that the continuity of this film just doesn't flow as it should and there's a good 20 minutes of footage left out?

edit typo
Post edited at 00:49
 alan moore 04 Apr 2015
In reply to Denni:

Same. Can't dredge up any enthusiasm for Shawshank, Schindler, Dirty Dancing or Ghost. Greek Mile was good though.
 deepsoup 04 Apr 2015
In reply to alan moore:

> ... Ghost.

There were two films in the cinema in 1990 featuring the ghost of a dead lover. If you're going to watch one of them it should be Truly, Madly, Deeply. Wonderful film. Bring a hankie. <sniff>
 gd303uk 04 Apr 2015
Avatar ! Have you seen A man called horse?

Post edited at 08:54

It's ok Gordon- I don't intend to!

In response to others re the shawshank redemption- I enjoyed it, it's worth a couple of hours of your life. ..
 Postmanpat 04 Apr 2015
In reply to Denni:

Bladerunner, Star Wars (think I once caught part of that)
 Alyson 04 Apr 2015
In reply to Denni:

I guess my 'I can't believe you've not seen it' reaction is most used for the original Star Wars trilogy. Though I suppose those films are old enough now to be irrelevant to a whole generation, brought up on big budget blockbusters with amazing CGI and super slick production values.
 Alyson 04 Apr 2015
In reply to Denni:

I believe I'm supposed to have watched The Godfather. I tried, but it was just not my thing at all.
 Roguevfr 04 Apr 2015
In reply to Denni:

I still haven't seen ET.
 butteredfrog 04 Apr 2015

> Please, please don't watch Avatar - possibly the most technically sophisticated, and thus expensive, mindless bilge that's ever been created.

My 8yr old loves it!
 Andy Long 04 Apr 2015
In reply to gd303uk:

> Avatar ! Have you seen A man called horse?

Agree about "A Man Called Horse". However, "Of Horses and Men", a recent film from Iceland, is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen.
 fmck 04 Apr 2015
In reply to butteredfrog:

Best film I missed until recently was "Flight" staring Denzel Washington. Just watch the crash scene on you tube its a rollercoaster of cinema. Rest of the film your left with the dilemma of hero or bad un.
 Alyson 04 Apr 2015

I agree. The plot (a slightly generous term) is offensive rubbish.
abseil 04 Apr 2015
In reply to Denni:

I really wanted to start a counter thread entitled "Films you watched that apparently you shouldn't have" but won't, here's my starter list anyway:

Shawshank Redemption
The Avengers
Look Who's Talking
Look Who's Talking Too
In reply to gd303uk:

> Avatar ! Have you seen A man called horse?

Yes a long time ago, a good film I seem to remeber much more brutal.

> Well garbage or not Gordon, the story is quite well documented and the symbolism is apparent for those that read it.

The film 'Room 237', which examined this, got so much factually wrong that it lacks all credibility (I covered 3 sides of A4 with a list of the mistakes it made.) The problem is that almost all the symbolism was accidental, particularly the Indian symbolism. Katherina Kubrick and Jan Harlan (producer and Stanley's brother in law) who found the real overlook hotel etc. can confirm this. About the only thing the film got right was Stanley's deliberate use of the displaced geography/layout of the hotel, and some strange 'continuity errors'.

> What do you think of the further tale that your friend Stanley wasn't allowed his own directors cut on the visually immaculate 'Eyes wide shut' as they say those that know Kubrick's cinematography speculate that the continuity of this film just doesn't flow as it should and there's a good 20 minutes of footage left out?

Stanley's final days and the final cut of EWS are, indeed, somewhat shrouded in mystery. I have heard two almost diametrically opposed versions (best summarised by a) he was extremely happy with the movie b) he was extremely unhappy with the movie), so have no idea where the truth lies.

> The film 'Room 237', which examined this, got so much factually wrong that it lacks all credibility (I covered 3 sides of A4 with a list of the mistakes it made.) The problem is that almost all the symbolism was accidental, particularly the Indian symbolism. Katherina Kubrick and Jan Harlan (producer and Stanley's brother in law) who found the real overlook hotel etc. can confirm this. About the only thing the film got right was Stanley's deliberate use of the displaced geography/layout of the hotel, and some strange 'continuity errors'.

Hi Gordon, thanks for your replies, I can understand that coincidences and synchronicities do occur and people can see patterns in things which aren't there. And if the symbolism is as you say purely accidental I still find this very interesting.

> Stanley's final days and the final cut of EWS are, indeed, somewhat shrouded in mystery. I have heard two almost diametrically opposed versions (best summarised by a) he was extremely happy with the movie b) he was extremely unhappy with the movie), so have no idea where the truth lies.

I see, a bit like Schrödinger's cat then.
Removed User 04 Apr 2015
In reply to Denni:

Withnail and I

American Werewolf in London
 nastyned 04 Apr 2015
In reply to Alyson:

> I believe I'm supposed to have watched The Godfather. I tried, but it was just not my thing at all.

I felt the same but managed to watch it all the way through. Wish I hadn't bothered.
 hokkyokusei 05 Apr 2015
In reply to Roguevfr:
> I still haven't seen ET.

Me neither
 Thrudge 05 Apr 2015
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

> Spent the last 3 hours introducing my teenage (politics student) daughter to "Dr Strangelove" and "The Mouse on the moon"

"Dr Strangelove" is a fantastic piece of work. Kubrick originally wrote it as a drama, but was unhappy with it - until he realised it was actually a comedy and rewrote it as such.
 Tony the Blade 05 Apr 2015
In reply to Denni:

Aside from my usual 3 of Moulin Rouge, Gladiator and Dead Man's Shoes...

Apparently I've not lived because I've never seen Blade Runner (Never watched it due to the title - "No such thing as a Blade that runs." )

So I'm going to watch it on the big screen at the BFI later this month.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...