UKC

DIY shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
JustA5c 04 Apr 2015
Hi,
I have heard that it is possible to make cheap DIY rock shoes for beginners.

Basically, get a cheap canvas running shoe. Take some cycle tubes and paste on the front part of the sole. Apparently cycle tubes have a not bad grip. If you wanna teach kids etc get used to climbing, this is a great way.
Have any of you tried it?
Kaz
In reply to JustA5c:

> Basically, get a cheap canvas running shoe. Take some cycle tubes and paste on the front part of the sole. Apparently cycle tubes have a not bad grip. If you wanna teach kids etc get used to climbing, this is a great way.

Don't see the point when you can get really good kids climbing shoes like Evolv Vengas for about £30.
 gethin_allen 04 Apr 2015
In reply to JustA5c:

It's not just the rubber that makes a climbing shoe, the fit is critical. You'd probably be better just climbing in old school plimsoles as long as they fit tight.
 Pbob 04 Apr 2015
In reply to JustA5c:

I'd have thought you wouldn't want them tight. Good for climbing yes. Good for development of growing bones etc. Probably not.
My suggestion. Stick to cheap plimsoles. That fit comfortably.
 WildCamper 05 Apr 2015
In reply to JustA5c:

If you scour ebay you can pick up childrens climbing shoes for a tenner in a virtually unused condition as kids grow out of em really quick or they try climbing and dont like it.
ive had 3 pairs for my lad from there so far and have paid less than 30 in total.

p.s +1 for Evolv Vengas
JustA5c 11 Apr 2015
In reply to WildCamper:

Thanks for the replies. I must have clarified that I live in India now, though I learnt climbing in UK. Here 10$ is lot of money. A couple of us are trying to promote climbing in our small town. Not just kids, even for adults. We don't want to give them real rock shoes.

So, it is in that context we are thinking of canvas shoes+cycle tube. Can do it at 1$ . So, I just went ahead and purchased a real tight canvas shoe for myself. It is the rubber (and glue as well) that I need to experiment.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...