UKC

Trail shoe recommendation please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mountainbagger 04 Apr 2015

Hi all

I'm looking for some new trail shoes to replace my old Inov8 Roclite GTX. They were light, waterproof, very grippy and fit really nice. They've lasted pretty well too and I was really happy with them, though I think they perhaps weren't the best when I ended up on some tarmac.

The new Roclite 282s seem and by default I would have bought them, but I wonder if I would be better off with something different? Most of the trail running I do is on the North Downs and any longer link ups I do involve sections road running. I feel I am (at best) 70% on trails and 30% on tarmac.

There's a confusing array of shoes out there from Salomon and Inov8 (never mind everyone else!). I've found the following which seem to be on offer/cheap:

Inov8 Trailroc
Salomon X-Scream
Salomon X-Wind Pro.

I can read the blurb but has anyone got any experience of them or can anyone recommend anything else given what I've said above?

Thanks in advance!
Post edited at 16:54
 ianstevens 04 Apr 2015
In reply to mountainbagger:

Just as I'm the first person it seem's polite to say: the one that fits.

However, I'm sure you already know this as you clearly aren't a idiot.

To business: I have a pair of Trailroc 245's, which are great for trails. Little bit of mud, a gravel track - they're really good. Not to bad on the road, although cushioning is generally provided by the tread itself, so I wouldn't do to many road miles in them. Anything more rugged (i.e. fell running) they whimper and (metaphorically) die, they just aren't up to it and I can't place any faith in them.

For the more adventerous stuff I have a pair of La Sportiva Bushido's, and I can't rave about them enough. Fantastic in the mountains, and good on trails, although a little slow. Really slow on the road, although not that uncomfy.
In reply to ianstevens:

> Just as I'm the first person it seem's polite to say: the one that fits.

Lol, yes I've been to a local running shop where I tried some very expensive Salomons which fitted well, but they were out of stock in the cheaper ones I was interested in (of course). I'd just parted with a disgusting amount of cash on new road shoes so I didn't have the stomach for another round.

I think Inov8 should fit me as I'm already a "user", as long as they haven't messed about with their fit too much in the last few years, so maybe Trailroc worth a try though it can get quite muddy and steep in places where I go.

I found La Sportiva a bit narrow in the past, but this was with walking boots, so should probably give the running shoes a try.

> However...you clearly aren't a idiot.

I wouldn't bet on that!
 Roadrunner5 05 Apr 2015
See if you can still get the old ones, you can sometimes get the old inov8 models dirt cheap in discount stores..

For the summer I'd often wear a road shoe, as summer trails are often dry enough that a road shoe can be the one shoe fits all. Especially for the summer I wouldn't look at GTX... the dust and dirt will damage it and by the time you may want it it'll be useless.

I'm loving the Brook Launch 2's, but also like the new Adidas Boston Boosts.

I like the solomon speed cross as an all round shoe, enough cushioning for some road, grip for trail, but the high heel is worth checking as it takes some getting used to. Understandably it's a love hate shoe for many because of that. I'm a big fan of them.

Inov8 fits do change.. so be careful buying a new model on line.. they are a real pain for constantly changing their product line and the fits do seem to differ.

Post edited at 19:11
 MG 05 Apr 2015

Anyone any experience of the cheapo Karrimor shoes? Do they fall apart? (Interested as they go up to size 14).
 Tobes 05 Apr 2015

For the last 8 months or so I've been using Salomon Sense Mantre and have been quite impressed. Used them through winter, icey roads, trails, frozen mud, wet logs etc and now on land rover tracks, hill runs, scree descents and handles them all really well.

It's quite a light shoe, fairly narrow and I got a half size bigger than usual which fits well with a set of custom made 3/4 length orthotics (relevant?).

Anyway, I'd probably go for them again but like this pair would wait for the sales, think I got them for £30 less than rrp, from an actual shop too (which gave good advice for my running needs and funky knee issues)
 Reach>Talent 05 Apr 2015

I picked up a pair of Adidas Kanadia 3 trail shoes which were dirt cheap but have been really good, hard wearing enough that the tarmac sections of my normal run haven't trashed them but they are so grippy in mud it feels like cheating. That said they are a bit light on cushioning and if you heel strike badly you won't have much fun. The more recent models seem to be a bit hit and miss though.
 yer maw 05 Apr 2015
I'm using saucony peregrines for my local routes that have everything from mud, hard trail and Tarmac and they do the job for me. Mudclaws for the hills though as the peregrines not a aggressive enough tread especially on steep descents. But recently used the peregrines for a hill route with mud and Tarmac section and was very pleased except on the muddier ascent where they slipped a bit.
They clean up great, the sole wears well and I'd definitely buy another pair.
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Thanks. Annoyingly my local running shop doesn't do discounts/old models and the only trail shoes they stock are Salomon They might have the speedcross though, so if they have I'll try a pair.

For other makes I think I'll have to find a shop further afield (or take a chance online).

Thanks everyone for the ideas/recommendations I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't buy a pair online just because they are on offer (though it is tempting!).
 Roadrunner5 06 Apr 2015

Peregrines might be a good option, basically a slightly more robust better gripped road shoe.

The speedcross heel is strange so do try a run first. If you have lots of contouring on runs they may not appeal.

The mantra's look really nice, I think I may get a pair next but won't pay full price, the x-scream look very similar.

In reply to Roadrunner5:

It's a mix of mud/bog, tree roots, chalk, plough and grass on my forays onto the North Downs - some summers it doesn't really get that dry (and some bits I like to do are quite steep). I'm starting to think the x-screams are going to struggle to maintain grip - the "citytrail" moniker is a bit off-putting - the promo video just has the wearer running around a town, with a small % on parkland/hard-packed paths, definitely no mud! My Inov8 Roclites were perfect - never slipped, loads of grip - chewed up the ground and felt very safe. But on roads - not so comfy and I worry I'm wearing out those great big lugs for no reason.

Maybe there's no perfect shoe for this...either I'm a bit uncomfortable on-road and a monster off-road, or comfy on and a bit slippery off! I read on someone's blog the other day that they take their off-road shoes in a backpack and use road shoes to get to the trail section. That's fine for a one off but on my runs I'd be changing shoes several times!

I wish I could try a pair without spending the money...might have to just bite the bullet and go for something on offer otherwise I'll never really know.

Anyway, thanks all for the help. I'm tapering for a road marathon this Sunday, but after that I'll be excited to get back to some off-road stuff.
 mbh 06 Apr 2015

Hi,

I've run a lot of road and of coast path and less of proper off road. Unless you can afford to buy loads of different shoes, whatever shoe you get will be a compromise.

I'd echo Roadrunner's view that if it is dryish on a trail, you might as well wear road shoes.

I have tried Inov8 and Salomon's on in a shop and they didn't seem to fit, so I don't know what they are like to run in. Many runners that I run with seem to rate them.

Off road, I have run in Mizuno Wave Ascends and Kiens. They are not very knobbly, and are not great in slippery mud on a slope, but they have been OK for all other off-road terrain, and also work for stretches of tarmac. I use them because they fit my feet, but they seem quite flimsy. The current (Kien) pair had a long split in the uppers afters 120 miles, which is rubbish. But then, the trails that I run on are quite stony, which trashes shoes quickly.The Ascend pair didn't do this until 500 miles.
 Solaris 07 Apr 2015
In reply to MG:

I asked about them in a shop a few days ago. The advice didn't encourage me. Sorry!

A trip to the Himalaya and consequent loss of bits of toes might be in order: could get you down to a 12!
 Solaris 07 Apr 2015
In reply to Reach>Talent:

I'm currently running in Kanadias but find them too broad and consequently sloppy in the heal and forefoot, so whilst they are acceptable for modest off-road running, I would avoid using them on the kind of terrain the OP mentions.

I'd vote for Mizunos: they have a good range of shoes for different conditions (though not for proper fell-running) and they fit my feet, so I'll be back to them when the Adidas have worn out.
 yorkshireman 07 Apr 2015
In reply to MG:

> Anyone any experience of the cheapo Karrimor shoes? Do they fall apart? (Interested as they go up to size 14).

I took a punt on a pair about a year ago (I think it was in some hellhole like SportsDirect. They seemed ok but after about 10km of trail the edges started rubbing the outside of my ankle and basically grated away half the skin by the time I got back. Really wasn't impressed during use. I can't say if they fall apart as I never used them since.

I rarely get less that 1000 miles of unforgiving trail running in each pair of Brooks Cascadias that I use, so at around 10p per mile I don't mind spending a bit on a some shoes that will last.

I've been tempted for a long time to go for the Speedcross for some extra grip - especially in the spring races at the moment that can be a real mix of conditions.

OffshoreAndy 07 Apr 2015

I've been using Brooks Adrenaline ASR, recommended as a good shoe for trail and road. Certainly one to consider for summer use as the other shoes mentioned have more aggressive soles and better for mud. My only niggle has been the mesh on the front seems a bit delicate.
cheers
 Piglet69 09 Apr 2015

Hey
there was a link to someones blog here late last year. They were reviewing a pair of Inov8 shoes, Road to Trail which seemed to fit the criteria you're looking for. They weren't due out till Spring. I'm looking for a similar pair of shoes. Perhaps someone on here remembers who/where the blog is.
Thanks
Aidan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...