UKC

Has anyone got a Saris Gran Fondo?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 04 Apr 2015
I've just bought a new car and would like to get a bike carrier for it. Through a combination of not having a tow bar and wanting to carry carbon framed bikes, the Saris Gran Fondo has come up as an option. The concept looks interesting, but would be great to hear from anyone who has used one.
 zimpara 04 Apr 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

Roof rack. Anything decent will do
 nniff 05 Apr 2015

I'm in the same position as you and considering the same, except that my bike has no clearance worth speaking of between the front wheel and down tube, which is the wrong shape to go in every roof rack clamp i've seen. Looking at the Seasucker ones now
 felt 05 Apr 2015

Bones rs 3 for me.

At that price you could get a towbar fitted without the ball with one of those discrete under the bumper quick release fixtures, obviously then you'd need a rack as well, but if you're going to use it on a regular basis you'd get your money back in fuel. I've never been too keen on those strap on racks, but the as other say a roof rack is a good option. I've driven on my own to french alps and back before with a downhill bike on the roof, and fuel costs weren't much more than them fast overnighters with nothing on the roof.
 wilkesley 05 Apr 2015
In reply to John Simpson:

A tow bar will cost around £250 fitted. However, IMHO it's worth it if you put your bikes on the car regularly. My truck has a towbar, as I actually use it for towing things. However, if I had a different vehicle I would definitely fit one, even if I only used it for the bikes.
In reply to wilkesley:

It would cost me about £90 plus a bit more for the wiring, but then would fit myself.
 kevin stephens 05 Apr 2015

I have a Saris Grand Fondo and really like it. Drove down to the Ariege last summer in my Golf estate with four carbon road bikes; 2 on the Grand Fondo and 2 on the roof rack (with front wheels removed and front forks anchored to the roof rack)

When using the Grand Fondo alone I find it offers much less wind resistance than roof rack mounting. If you set it up carefully you don't obscure the number plate or lights, it is a good idea to wrap something fluorescent and reflective on the saddle, a high viz waistcoat works well
OP The New NickB 06 Apr 2015
In reply to kevin stephens:

Thanks Kevin, all the reviews look good, some talk about a little movement from the bikes. Have you noticed this?
 LastBoyScout 06 Apr 2015
I use Thule Velo Vise and Velo Vise Pro - difference is the Pro is designed for bike with disk brakes, although, depending on the brake, they may still fit in the base model. If you have deep section rims, you may need an adapter kit to with longer strap to hold the rear wheel.

Both now replaced by the Outride 561 - all available on eBay or look here for new - they also do the Gran Fondo:
http://www.roofbox.co.uk/bike-carriers/bike-carriers-racks-range.php?flt3=1...
Post edited at 10:57
 kevin stephens 12 Apr 2015

Not significantly. You get used to bikes wobbling about a bit but they are secure. Roof bar fittings with front forks bolted to skewers and front wheels in the car (or separate mounts) which don't regard down tube clamps are also very good

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...