UKC

Climbing Insurance for Dummies

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jwhepper 04 Apr 2015
If I join the BMC do I get any kind of insurance included?

I'm really naive about what happens in the case of an accident.

If, for example, I fall off Stanage tomorrow, break my fall with my face and am airlifted out, who pays for the helicopter and hospital bills? Would there be any difference if I were a BMC member or not?

To extend this a little - Not learning from my previous faceplant, I go off sport climbing in Kalymnos, forget to double back my figure of 8 and plummet to the ground. Again, what would be the situation if I were to be airlifted out/hospitalised?

I've never really considered this before but am now starting to push myself on climbs that I am not confident I can onsight so have been thinking about it more and more recently.

Thanks for any help, I have looked at the BMC website and found an insurance page but am now unclear as to what is covered by BMC membership (if anything!)

J-W

In reply to jwhepper:

If you are a British national and injure yourself in the UK the mountain rescue will recover you and the NHS will hopefully put you back together. The bmc insurance you get as a member gives you cover for if you drop something on someone in the act of climbing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...