UKC

Cam servicing/recon?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ADH 05 Apr 2015
Hi,

had a break from climbing for around 3 years for reasons Iam still not sure on! Thankfully I'am starting to feel the addiction creep back in so Ive gone through my gear giving it the once over. Ive got around 60+ cams most of which could probably do with a bit more attention other than a clean. Had a brief google and most manufacturers seem to only offer to service their own brand. Ive a mix of most that have come out over the last 30 years, including Aliens, Friends etc etc and I could do with finding a company who would do the lot, assess, re-tape and whatever else needs doing. Can anyone recommend someone?

Cheers
 Timmd 05 Apr 2015
In reply to ADH:

Mountain Tools in the US can retape any cams for you.
In reply to ADH: European regulations on PPE mean that manufacturers must specify a lifetime for PPE and only the original manufacturer (or someone authorised by them) can repair PPE and only then up to that lifetime.

As such, if the cams are older than around 10 years and of varying brands the only sensible option for new tapes as mentioned is probably to send the whole lot to one of the companies in the USA.
OP ADH 05 Apr 2015
In reply to ADH:

Thanks for the advice guys. Already thinking it would make far better sense to take them to the states personally, get em fixed and play on some rocks for a while. Perfect solution.
 Gael Force 05 Apr 2015
In reply to ADH:
I just re tape mine myself, I repair wires with strimmer cord, fairly simple to tie a tape knot...some of my friends are the originals...regarded with suspicion by partners.
I have noticed some play around the axles in the really old ones and they are retired now.
Post edited at 17:56
OP ADH 05 Apr 2015
In reply to Gael Force:

yeah, retaped a few in the past. Its the other bits (technical speak) iam not sure on. Always fun to raise suspicion and concern in partners tho. Think the safest option is just to use a few and see what happens!
In reply to ADH:

60 cams?? Wow..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...