UKC

Lightweight family tent- any recommendations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm looking to invest in a tent. The brief: big enough to hold a family of 4 (currently kids small, but would like it to be useful for a good few years), to serve as base for static holiday, but also light enough and robust enough to be usable for overnight backpacking trips (if they can be persuaded...!)

I'd expect to pay a fair amount for all of the above, if it even exists...

But even if it is expensive, it should pay for itself in not having to pay out for holiday rentals.

Terra nova used to do something that seemed like it would fit the bill- it had a central porch with two sleeping bays either side of this. But I can't see it on the website now. I've got a terra nova solar 2 which has seen 15 years service and is still going strong, so I'd look to them as a first option.

Anybody got any recommendations for tents that could fit the bill? From terra nova, or other brands..?

Cheers
Gregor
Lostsky 07 Apr 2015
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

We have a Hilleberg Nallo 4 GT which we use for this. It does not have seperate sleeping bays so everyone is in together. The groundsheet helps as it extends through the porch which is large enough to cope with family clutter. http://hilleberg.se/product/nallo-4-gt
 Spike 07 Apr 2015

2 kg heavier than the Hilleberg recommended above, but a fair bit cheaper...
http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/all-tents/etesian-4-tent/

I'm no fan of terra nova tents myself but we did consider this one when buying a family tent last year, although in the end we went heavier car camping tent and retained our two lightweight two man tents for backpacking.

I also like the look of these http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/experience-series/papa-hubba-nx/pro... at under 3kg
there are various stockists in UK.
 George Fisher 07 Apr 2015

I'm in the same position

I started a thread last week. I know the tent you mention by TN but it seams to be discontinued. Reading reviews it seems it had some problems and lots of failures.

TN do the Terra Firma, 4 man single compartment for about £900. They also have the Hoolie 4 with two compartments for a lot less but presumably much lower quality.

I Demo'd a Alpkit Zhota which was good for 2 plus small child but again single compartment and small for 4.

I'll be watching this thread.
In reply to All:

Thanks for the comments- we ended up in go outdoors getting a massive tent in the sale, I think it will be more useful for the next couple of years- then look to get a lightweight one when the kids are a bit older,

Cheers
Gregor

Andy Morley 08 Apr 2015
> Terra nova used to do something that seemed like it would fit the bill- it had a central porch with two sleeping bays either side of this. But I can't see it on the website now.

That design is called the 'vis-à-vis' (face-to-face) and in a four-man version, I think it's one of the most practical designs for activities like climbing. The shape stands up to wind well, using it for a team of two, you can share it with a climbing partner without having to occupy the same sleeping quarters and you have plenty of room for gear. Using it as a couple, you can do away with one of the bedrooms and use the space for gear or living space. It's very flexible.

Outwell do the 'Watergate' for around a couple of hundred, Skandika do a cheap version called the 'Hammer Fest' and Go Outdoors do a cheapy for £80. You can buy more expensive tents but that probably gets you lots of features you may not need and which may even be a pain it the bum.

I am in the market for a decent second hand item if this kind if anyone is selling.
 gonggashan 09 Apr 2015

We got an MSR Pappa Hubba as I was fed up of putting up our Coleman family tent on my own for weekends only - huge and really hard to pitch.

The Pappa Hubba is super straightforward to pitch and nice and spacious , as long as you don't mind all being in the same compartment.

Its probably worth getting the tougher groundsheet add on as well as the inbuilt one is very thin - like spinnaker material - it is lighter weight than my 2 man tent I think : )

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...