UKC

Is Climbing a religion?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Morning campers

Well obviously not the act of climbing itself that's probably defined as a doing word or something like an action, but if we define ourselves by labels and someone is describing someone else and they say 'oh yeah I know who you mean, Joe the climber' to whicheth the reply would be something like yeah thats him.

So climbing used as a term as in to describe a persons world view or belief system. And using these examples; Wacked out truth telling new age conspiracy type (mentioning no names) could be labeled as: 'New ager (if spiritual) or truther (if atheist)'

Or Peaceful heavy metal loving stoner dude who's into bands like 'This band is sooooo f*ckin eavy that i just fell down a black hole' AKA: TBISFETIJFDABH: 'Pagan Pilgrim'

Hopefully you get me drift.

Thus for those who are still reading and not thinking 'whats he rambling on about this morning, has he not heard of bed?'

Is Climbing a religion and does it have different factions like the Christian religion does, or have I just read the Islam thread all wrong!?

For the record if we do have factions, I'm in the same one as Forrest, you've just gotta love the guy that has the legs to argue black is white till everyone finally folds then, suggests that maybe white is the new black. I wonder if legendary counter culture pinko Bruce The Hooker Man <waves to Brucie if he's lurkin'> had a love child or three?

Peace
 Monk 07 Apr 2015
In reply to John Simpson:

In short, no. there's no deity. Not every group is a religion. You could say 'that's John the butcher', doesn't make butchery a religion.
 lowersharpnose 07 Apr 2015

No. Not at all.

Timmd 07 Apr 2015

Nope, it's more profound than that
 Reach>Talent 07 Apr 2015

Is climbing a religion, shall we test for stereotypical trappings of religion...

- Silly outfits? Yes

- Steals Sunday mornings and any other free time? Yes

- Bizarre customs that are almost impossible to explain to an unbeliever? Yes

- Odd schisms, that cause flip-flopping of beliefs? Yes (Bolting etc)

- Your friends give you that "You poor deluded person" look when you try to convert them (from mainstream religions like football and onanism)? Yes

- Pilgrimage to significant sites? Yes (Who hasn't been stuck in a traffic jam of cars with GB plates outside Font)

I'd say evidence suggests climbing is either a religion or a mental problem of some description.
 yeti 07 Apr 2015

may I offer Buddhism as a non theistic religion...

so says t'wiki
In reply to yeti:
> may I offer Buddhism as a non theistic religion...

I think you just did

> so says t'wiki

tha nose

On a complete unrelated matter, but the do says the lord moves in mysterious ways. For a good while now I've been thinking of buying a industrial machine, to repair car seat covers by unstitching damaged sections generally the bolster and replacing with new panels. As I've never taken the covers off the seats to inspect, I'm not 100% sure how the covers are joined, but I'd assume it was lockstitch. So I could use one with a 3 phase motor or single phase.

What kind of money would I be looking at for something used? If you feel I've hijacked my own thread in some form of crazy madness you could mail me, but I'd also be happy to discuss this here too
Post edited at 21:54
In reply to Monk:
Yes but butchery is served for a need for us to feast, climbing is a different group type and I've had that please god moment before and have heard others do the same, and the do say climbing feeds the soul.

Butchery on the other hand does kill things a bit like religion so maybe a righteous sheep thats out in the fields baaarr ing and spreading the message of universal love and forgiveness could be murdered and feasted upon by it masters

'He's no Jesus, he's a Rambouillet'
Post edited at 22:12
In reply to Reach>Talent:
> Is climbing a religion, shall we test for stereotypical trappings of religion...

> - Silly outfits? Yes

> - Steals Sunday mornings and any other free time? Yes

> - Bizarre customs that are almost impossible to explain to an unbeliever? Yes

> - Odd schisms, that cause flip-flopping of beliefs? Yes (Bolting etc)

> - Your friends give you that "You poor deluded person" look when you try to convert them (from mainstream religions like football and onanism)? Yes

> - Pilgrimage to significant sites? Yes (Who hasn't been stuck in a traffic jam of cars with GB plates outside Font)

> I'd say evidence suggests climbing is either a religion or a mental problem of some description.

An excellent reply, reflected by the like button thumbs up cheers
Post edited at 22:14
In reply to Timmd:

> Nope, it's more profound than that

Shirley profoundness adds to the religious wonder?
In reply to lowersharpnose:
> No. Not at all.

'oh yes it is'
Post edited at 22:13
 Timmd 07 Apr 2015

Don't ask me, I'm not sure I know a lot about either, or about being profound...
 Tricadam 07 Apr 2015
In reply to Reach>Talent:

> Is climbing a religion, shall we test for stereotypical trappings of religion...

> - Silly outfits? Yes

> [Snip]

Add to that the jargon indecipherable to non-believers.

And the hierarchical system of recognising achievement among believers which grading lends itself to. (Granted, perhaps a little too specific to Freemasonry as a comparator.)

Differences?

1. Can't say I've spent much dosh online on religious GEAR. And haven't spent any time whatsoever discussing it, whether online or not.

2. Arguments between religious sects tend to be contentious, complex, subtle and necessarily inconclusive, whereas trad just obviously IS better than sport.
 Steve John B 07 Apr 2015
In reply to adamarchie:

> 2. Arguments between climbers tend to be contentious, complex, subtle and necessarily inconclusive, whereas Sunni just obviously IS better than Shia.

Or something...!
 Tricadam 07 Apr 2015
In reply to Steve John B:

> whereas Sunni just obviously IS better than Shia.

> Or something...!

Isn't it the other way round?
 stp 08 Apr 2015

Good question. Don't think a religion needs a deity (Scientology is an example) but it needs at least an ideology. I don't think it has one. The fact we enjoy the same things is shared but not ideological.

I think the word community more accurately describes the shared outlook we have.
 Andy Morley 08 Apr 2015

Climbing certainly does many of the same things that religion does but it lacks the superstition, except in a very minor way.
Removed User 08 Apr 2015
In reply to Andy Morley:

Come on now, everyone has lucky underpants for the 'big sends' surely?
 girlymonkey 08 Apr 2015

I wouldn't be surprised if more people pray on a rock face than in a church!
 Andy Morley 08 Apr 2015
In reply to Removed User:

> Come on now, everyone has lucky underpants for the 'big sends' surely?

Some do, but I expect they buy them from places like M&S or Asda. I doubt that many of them receive their lucky UPs from on high, or believe in a giant underpants-manufactury in the sky that sends them special, coded instructions.

Not that I would rule such possibilities out entirely, we've all met some pretty strange people in our time.
 malk 08 Apr 2015

does E12 exist?
Removed User 08 Apr 2015
In reply to malk:

Not without a death fall.
In reply to malk:
> does E12 exist?

I would have thought so but then we'll find out God considers E13's a punters grade.
Post edited at 21:58

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...