UKC

Light waterproof or robust one?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 noteviljoe 07 Apr 2015

Thinking about buying new waterproof to replace the ever damp feeling berghaus one I got second hand from mate (have reproofed lots).

Google researching though has left me with a quandary:

I sweat loads and run hot = get something light and very breathable.

I tend to wear through all my clothes really quickly and enjoy scrambling in horrible conditions in the winter = get something tough and heavy.

Got max £200 quid so no money for two jackets.

Was thinking about the Rab Latok which is on sale for £199 at Cotswolds for a tough option or the Rab Latok Alpine on sale at GoOutdoors for I think around £150 as lighter alternative.

Reviews seem to be really mixed with some people saying both jackets are great and some saying that eVent leaks (most of these seem to be from back in 2011 has it changed?)
Post edited at 10:47
 Mark Haward 07 Apr 2015
In reply to noteviljoe:

In an ideal world a combination of jackets would be good. A lightweight softshell that can also cope with a little rain / drizzle, a heavier weight softshell for winter use that can also cope with light rain, snow. These are much more breathable than a hardshell and can cope with a wide variety of conditions - especially if you run hot. Depending on conditions / aims you could leave the hardshell at home. If you might need a hardshell a very light one for walking or occasional use and then a heavier weight one for tougher conditions such as scrambling / climbing / winter climbing would cover a lot of bases. Then choose to take the clothing that works for the conditions on the day.
From what you describe it sounds as if your priority is for a heavier weight shell for winter / scrambling / climbing. I have used several lightweight jackets which are waterproof and excellent at what they are designed for but they quickly get trashed at the shoulders if carrying a heavier pack ( thinking winter routes ) and also any rock contact wrecks them fast.
Obviously you could go for one with more ventilation zips etc. but if you are running hot I suggest changing your baselayer / midlayer combinations; be bold and start cold! Then have a synthetic jacket that can go over everything when you stop.
Hope this helps
 marsbar 07 Apr 2015
In reply to noteviljoe:

I have a tough jacket and a cheap pertex light jacket. I reckon you could do both for 200.

This is a bargain if its your size
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/surface/pertex-rain-jacket-ec074489?cou...

marsbar 07 Apr 2015
In reply to noteviljoe:

This is also a bargain
http://www.snowandrock.com/pws/UniqueProductKey.ice?ProductID=BER0460BB&...

3 layer is more durable than 2 layer.
 jkarran 07 Apr 2015
In reply to noteviljoe:

> I sweat loads and run hot = get something light and very breathable.
> I tend to wear through all my clothes really quickly and enjoy scrambling in horrible conditions in the winter = get something tough and heavy.
> Got max £200 quid so no money for two jackets.

Perhaps times have changed but I got a lightweight fully featured waterproof Mountain Hardware jacket for £50 a few years back in the sales. It did a few years service as a waterproof though it's now relegated to windproof duties.

jk
 Brian Pollock 07 Apr 2015
In reply to jkarran:

Marmot Essence. Very light, possibly the lightest available or one of. I think you can get them on Sport Pursuit with a nice discount right now. Only jacket (I know of) which vents in this weight category.
 Casa Alfredino 07 Apr 2015
In reply to noteviljoe:

Heavy duty = bloomin expensive. If you like "tough" winter conditions then you are effectively going to be beating the crap out of any clothing you ever buy. There's just not point buying a super duper jacket as it will be trashed in no time flat. The heaviness of them doesn't seem to make them last that much longer, so I just buy a cheaper jacket. By the time I've spent what I would have spent on a heavy duty jacket, I've bought 2 light jackets and had 1 3/4 the amount of use out of them.
needvert 07 Apr 2015
In reply to noteviljoe:
I have a two layer eVent macpac jacket. It's great. I figured a light jacket I did take is more useful to me than a heavy one I didn't.

Sure, it's got holes in it that have been patched with silicon seam sealer, so it doesn't look as flash if you look carefully. But, it's still waterproof, and still a whole lot lighter than the more durable jackets, and a lot more breathable than goretex (has goretex caught up with eVent yet?).

Keep in mind eVent is just the membrane, and not all eVent based fabrics are equal.
Post edited at 12:45
 PPP 07 Apr 2015
In reply to noteviljoe:

My lightweight waterproof trousers (Rab Xiom) took some beating this winter and after some taping, they are still okay. On the other hand, Mountain Equipment Morpheus jacket still looks like new after even more bashing!
 Mark Haward 07 Apr 2015
In reply to Casa Alfredino:

In 2000 I bought an Arcteyrix (SP?) for a Himalayan trip. 3 layer, awesome cut, wonderful details, great jacket.Kept it clean, occasional reproof and it is still going strong and looks almost as good as new. So that would be after about 15 weeks of winter climbing in Wales / Scotland, occasional use each summer in the Alps, 3 trips climbing around New Zealand in summer and winter, at least one ski trip per year and countless walking / scrambling days. I just couldn't justify buying a new jacket apart from a very lightweight one I now use for alpine summers.
Two years ago got given a new Arcteryx (SP?) jacket on test. Goretex Pro, much lighter, less featured but for me a better jacket. Looks like it will last forever too. However, I would point out I rarely climb chimneys whilst wearing goretex!
OP noteviljoe 07 Apr 2015
Thanks for all the replies, very helpful.

Guess I should have added that I'm looking now 'cus I'm guessing that waterproofs will be cheapest in the spring (is this assumption right?) but thinking more about something great for autumn and winter.

Also I'll be using the jacket for everyday kids for school and rainy days out with family but I suppose any will do for that.

In reply to marsbar:

Thanks for the link. I always think of Snow and Rock as an uber expensive shop but looks like they have some good sales.

nathan79 08 Apr 2015
In reply to noteviljoe:

Shop around and you'll get both for less than £200.

Go Outdoors have some half price deals on most Rab wateproofs at the moment. Neo shell mainly. Was almost tempted but no need. Had some Pertex shield for sub-100 too.
OP noteviljoe 16 Apr 2015
In the end (well unless I take it back) I've gone with a Mountain hardware M Saltoro Jacket for £130.

I can't seem to find many reviews of online and the men's version no longer appears to be on ME's website but it feels nice and I was swayed by the super tough isn't super tough argument above so thinking 3 layer gortex should be as good as gortex pro for my uses.

Have also bought a QUECHUA Bionnassay Softshell 500 - Orange for £25 quid for a light rain option/windproof. Feels great and seems like a bargain.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...