UKC

Gear that needs reviewing on UKC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Aigen 07 Apr 2015

Light weight jackets e.g Patagonia Alpine Hoodini, Rab Cirrus Jacket etc

Best Expedition Multi Fuel burning Stove.

Solar Panel versus External battery for keeping your Phone/Camera/Tablet charged when base camping in the wild.

Micro Cams = So many new ones out now its time for a head to head.

An article on where to go climbing on a 100 - 250 - 500 - 1000 -2000 Pound budget.
Post edited at 14:03
 deacondeacon 07 Apr 2015
In reply to Aigen:

The budget climbing trip idea is really good. Would be a great series.
 jezb1 07 Apr 2015
In reply to deacondeacon:

I'd happily go and test some climbing trips if UKC are paying...!
 Xharlie 07 Apr 2015
In reply to Aigen:
I'd like to see more whacky reviews of random stuff that seems to come along on trips even if it isn't always strictly climbing gear.

Coffee Percolators, ultra-light Tea Pots, Adventure Prams and wot not.
Post edited at 14:55
Andy Gamisou 07 Apr 2015
In reply to Xharlie:

I recently bought a wot not and was very dissappointed with it. I've since replaced it with a hooz it and am delighted with my purchase.
 kylo-342 07 Apr 2015
In reply to Xharlie:

I would like to see a review of the really cheap stuff you can get at Decathlon (e.g. the £15 arpenaz belay jacket) and how it compares with branded stuff....
 GrahamD 07 Apr 2015
In reply to kylo-342:

Decathlon, GO outdoors, Regatta, Peter Storm etc.

Unfortunately I suspect this isn't going to help with site sponsorship which needs to push us towards £400 anoraks for Stanage
In reply to Aigen:

budget holidays would be good. Be an interesting series.
 kylo-342 07 Apr 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

I'm really happy with my £15 jacket --- kept me warm on an unseasonably cold rock climbing trip to morocco. Thanks to all the traders in N.Wales who when asked to show me a jacket for under £100, brought out jackets for £150+....!
 Roberttaylor 07 Apr 2015
In reply to Aigen:

There should be reviews of computer monitors and broadband providers for surfing UKC.

TobyA 07 Apr 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

> Unfortunately I suspect this isn't going to help with site sponsorship which needs to push us towards £400 anoraks for Stanage

I guess Decathlon doesn't need to advertise on UKC because they get people in on price and because of all the other sports that take you to that store. Most of the reviews I've done for UKC are new products that the manufacturers want reviewed, as they want to raise awareness of those products to us, the potential buyers. I suppose Decathlon doesn't feel that an online review will add much to their products' desirability - most of us buy Decathlon stuff because value for money outweighs pure performance considerations.

I have seen their cycling gear reviewed on Road.cc though, and suspect they just submit for testing their like firms do here (don't know for certain though). When I've done group reviews in the past I have just requested from different manufacturers their product that fits in that group; maybe then it's possible to request to review something from Decathlon. But not all companies do want to take part in such tests, or don't have the relevant product ready at the time of asking.
OP Aigen 07 Apr 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Am I right in saying all reviews of gear now on UKC have to be paid for by the manufacture of the gear being reviewed?
 TobyA 07 Apr 2015
In reply to Aigen:

No. Alan would have to give you his full policy but as I understand it, firms advertising on UKC can also ask to have things reviewed in stand alone reviews, but in group reviews it will be just any firm asked and willing to put something up for review that are included. I can say though I've never been asked to change the content of a review, in fact the opposite, the editors were supportive of me saying exactly what problems I've found with a product.
OP Aigen 08 Apr 2015
In reply to TobyA:
With the new Fixe Alien Lite cam and Metolius Mastercam version 2 coming out soon. Anyway you could do a small cam review of what is available?
Fixe Alien Lite cam
Metolius Mastercam version 2
BD X4
BD C3
Totem Basic cam
Metolius TCU
Post edited at 11:21
 TobyA 08 Apr 2015
In reply to Aigen:

I would love to try out all of those, I will suggest it to the editors!
 beardy mike 08 Apr 2015
In reply to Aigen:

Used my old TCU's the other day and was struck by just how good they are. I mean they're what, 1999 flavour, but they are great! Also used totems the other day, both the old and the new, and found both excellent. Prefered both to my C3 (which is excellent when you've got the right placement but not excellent when you don't) and my mastercam... the new mastercam does look good though... just never been sure about that trigger and they don't seat as well as the aliens or the TCU...
 Denni 08 Apr 2015
In reply to Aigen:

I think they should review sofa's so some of the forum lurkers can be a bit more comfy when it comes to trolling and bun fights.
 TobyA 08 Apr 2015
In reply to beardy mike:

Of that lot I have one BD C3 which to be honest I don't place that much, but its one of those pieces that when you do use it you're super happy as there often not alternatives. My other couple of micro cams are DMM 3CUs which I've found are great although at size O and .5 they are that micro I guess.

A friend has a totem which I've been well impressed with. This placement https://www.flickr.com/photos/toby-northern_light/16889315600/ the other week worked so well for it I had to dig my camera out while seconding to take a pic!
In reply to TobyA:

> I suppose Decathlon doesn't feel that an online review will add much to their products' desirability

I don't know. Every time I buy something from them, a few weeks later, I get an email asking me to review what I've bought. So I do...

Fairly negative review currently in preparation. We'll see if that makes it to the website...
OP Aigen 08 Apr 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Toby if you ever get to write a review of micro cams give me a shout because I have used most of the above. Please don't ask me to write a review as I am not the best a writing.
 petellis 08 Apr 2015
In reply to Aigen:

I'd like to see a series of articles called something like "Jim Titt does technical". Doesn't really matter what the subject is really, his stuff is exhaustive and interesting.
 Wingnut 09 Apr 2015
In reply to Aigen:

A run-down of what's out there in the way of non-goretex boots would be useful.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...