UKC

SPA training, costs, and providers?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi, whilst i'm far from the hardest climber out there, I'm safe, and generally speaking in the real world I'm good with people, maybe been a bit slow as I'm from Barnsley means people can keep up,probably too much information as usual. But I'd like to start putting something back in an do the qualifications starting with SPA, as I can deal with a night a week at climbing wall or crag, helping newcomers to the sport to get some best practices established.

So, I'm looking for a training provider or individual close to Barnsley, who can initially get me through SPA, then ML summer.

I know I could search and take my chances but in my line of business it all comes from word of mouth or personal recommendation. So hoping UKC can provide the relevant details of expertise.
Post edited at 05:57
In reply to John Simpson:

http://www.mountain-training.org
This is the governing body's website. All the info you need is there. On average SPA is £150 for training and then assessment. ML(s) is about £500 each. Good luck
In reply to markh554:

Cheers Mark, yes I'd seen that, i was also looking for any personal recommendations.
 Alex Riley 09 Apr 2015

Andy newton in North Wales is good. Did my ml and spa with him
 JoshOvki 09 Apr 2015

I did my training with Paul Smith (posts on here as paul at work [ http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/profile.php?id=6625 ]) and would highly recommend him.
In reply to Alex Riley: and to Josh too,

cheers guys for the recommendations but they're too far for me Peak area really, Thanks again
JonnoMaude 10 Apr 2015

One thing I would suggest more than anything is to do your training with one, and assessment with another! It means you'll be able to make the assessment a learning experience as well, because you'll be justifying your reasons for things that may be different to your assessors way of doing them and then invariably learning there way as well!!

As far as people go, Chris Ensol is regarded as one of the best our country has to offer although naturally everybody is different in their approach and so there probably isn't such a thing as best but he is highly experienced and a good teacher, I did my training with him, and I did my assessment with Stu Carter (climb365) who is also very good
In reply to JonnoMaude:

Thanks Jonno, good points yes i'd like to build a good relationship up with my training partner, however time and costs is important to me so the closest to home is best for the first steps, the Guys Chris and Stu that you've listed, if you wouldn't mind telling me where they're located that would be a big help.
JonnoMaude 10 Apr 2015

Ah, well I guess it depends how far you are willing to consider relatively local, they're in the Lake District, although I did my assessment with Stu in the peaks, because of the location of other assess'ees so I know he will move around if needed and at a guess Chris may do the same... Although I imagine that while perhaps not your closest, the lakes is a stomping ground of yours?

> Thanks Jonno, good points yes i'd like to build a good relationship up with my training partner, however time and costs is important to me so the closest to home is best for the first steps, the Guys Chris and Stu that you've listed, if you wouldn't mind telling me where they're located that would be a big help.

In reply to JonnoMaude:
Cool maybe this is workable Peak is first choice but Lakes is on the boundaries and probably pound for pound a better place to train as in the peak I'd probably be repeating routes. I assume I can find contact details on the link shared above by Mark.

Cheers Jonno much appreciated.
Post edited at 07:59
JonnoMaude 10 Apr 2015

Yeh you should be able to find their details through that link, otherwise a quick Google of Chris Ensol training or climb365 would do it too!

I think you may be right as the peaks in some ways can be a bit of a similar game across the board (although obviously not true for everywhere) whereas the lakes does perhaps offer a bit more variation on styles and rock types!

I hope you enjoy the process as much as I did, and learn shed loads
 mike123 11 Apr 2015
Andy brown: long established , cool calm and collected , erudite, well dressed , handsome , well regarded on here.
Ok , most of these are not true, but the ones that matter are.
http://www.adventures.org.uk
In reply to mike123:

Andy Brown, that name rings a bell I think I may have done a job with him in the past, cheers I'll have a look at his page

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...